AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knowing that you want to use Seleco's own on-board video processor, does it really matter if I use a $100 interlaced DVD player vs a $500 interlaced player vs a HTPC vs a low or high end DVD player with progressive output?

hjackson

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I think you will find that the better the quality the 'interlaced' DVD player, the better the picture. I use an older mid range interlaced $400 Pioneer 717 European model and get excellent results. For most players, the progressive mode is not nessessary but I believe the Skyworth does produce some gains. You may want to check out the thread entitled 'Simm2 HT300 Opinions?'. Its currently on page two of this forum. Look particularly at Andrea M's excellent posts on this very subject. For the ultimate in HT300 quality, you cant really beat out an HTPC properly configured. Good hunting.

Regards,

Paul H

·
Registered
554 Posts
not if you only watch silent films.

imo, there are bigger differences in dvd players as transports for the audio bitstream...whether 2-channel music or 5.1 soundtracks. to get audiophile quality audio in an interlaced machine, you are looking at a much higher budget. but the difference are more than subtle, depending on your associated audio equipment.

i just went through this exercise. i have a runco vx-1c with outboard scaler, so wanted a good interlaced signal. i found a lot of good threads in the DVD Hardware forum. the one thing i have learned from my audio days, is that the source matters greatly....also digital is not digital.

i ended up with the proceed PMDT...(somewhat controversial because of some software glitches). the sound quality...going into my proceed AVP processor blew away my old Sony 7700 DVD...a supposed "reference" piece.

as far as video quality, i was blown away. blacks were enhance greatly, as was color saturation. 3-D effect was noticably enhanced. frankly i was a little surprised at how much better an image that something in the PMDT league can produce. actually not surprised...stunned.

for someone spending $13k for a great pj, don't choke it with an average dvd player. ask your local highend dealer to let you demo a PMDT (or an Ayre DX1, or a Meridian) to see just how much better an image your pj is capable of.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
hjackson,

if this could be of some help, give me your email and if you like I'll send my HT300 review. It's in Italian, but other people told me the Babelfish automatic translator can do a fine job.

I'm describing inside a quite reasonable number of connection for an HT300, comparing various software and connections, in a (I hope) controlled environment.

Anyhow, Paul is absolutely right: if you want PQ, go HTPC! :p

Paul, thanks so much for your appreciation, but you know... I don't owe you money, it's for free (apart from the $500 we stated) ;) ;) :p :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.