AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm watching the Masters with my indoor UHF antenna. The weather outside is perfect, sunny skies. When the weather is good, my reception has always been stable. No change in signal strength. However, today, I am getting fluctations in strengths and then dropouts. I think this is really the first OTA broadcast I've tried to get this early in the daytime. Does this have anything to do with it? I tried adding a preamp, and it didn't make a drop of difference Didn't even increase signal strength for my CBS reception. Just curious why my reception is problematic when it is normall perfect and error-free.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wind itself no. The effects of wind yes, though it isn't noticable in analog it can make or break a digital signal. Trees absorb signal (as does humans and other animals, the ground and just about anything else). A tree (or several trees) moving in the wind will cause a signal to flucuate just as person moving around a room will cause a signal to flucuate with an indoor antenna.

The cure, an antenna placed above the tree line.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that might be the case. The window I had my antenna pointing toward has lots of trees outside and a 12mph wind. Never had a problem before.

I hooked up my preamp and ran a long cable across my apartment to another window which is on the downward side of a hill, higher than the trees below. I haven't gotten ANY breakups in this configuration.

It's not permanent because I have a big cable across the room, but at least I know this can improve things if wind is a factor or perhaps when the leaves grow back on the trees I may need to know this for the future.

Thanks.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Time of day definitely makes a different, although I'm unsure of what phenomenon explains that.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For some reason, this has been a bad day for reception. Especially at night, I never have problems during good weather. Usually not even a single hiccup when the antenna is in a certain hotspot. Today, all day, terrible. Winds are at 12 mph. If I move the antenna clear across the room near a window facing the opposite direction, I get no drop outs with the same signal strength. Pain in the neck. I had to attach a pre-amp to get the signal to come in at the same strength with a longer cable (plus I don't have an adapter to connect the 75 ohm cable so I am using the preamp for that).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.