AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if the hauppauge WinTV PVR-250 can be set to record Programs on Satellite, in my case via DishNetwork. Because I don't see how the channel would be accessed. Would the satellite have to be set to the channel you want it to record? Or is the WinTV software somehow able to change that channel and record the program you set? Any information on HTPC PVR setups is much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
This is a new product I have been looking at. It should record any source that can output composite or S-Video, but I don't think it has any feature to change channels on a satellite receiver, VCR, or other external source. Doing so would require an IR blaster and the ability to program in your remote codes. A real HTPC savy person could probably hack something up to do this, but is wouldn't be simple. I'm not aware of any PVR which can control external boxes.

Your best bet would probably be to get a receiver with built in DVR. I know they have DirectTV with Tivo built in, not sure about Dish. Programmed recording will be easy, reliable, and good quality (3 words which don't describe the current state of PC based PVR). If you want to archive stuff to VCD or DVD, you can then record it from the receiver to your PC later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.