AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sirius has one called the SIGMA which is perfect for those who don't want an antenna mounted on the exterior of their car.


I'm looking into switching to XM in the very near future, so I've been doing research on the antennas. Just haven't found anything yet that is like Sirius' SIGMA. Thought someone here may know something.


TIA,

js
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,609 Posts
I have my antenna wedged between my dash and windshield. Its just the regular antenna that came with the car kit. I get solid reception this way although I rarely venture too far out of the city which I believe is well covered with terrestrial repeaters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Terk makes a few "glass mount" antennas if that's what you mean. One is a through-glass style, like an old cell phone antenna would be but I've not heard great things about it. The other you still have to run wires outside the car, it just mounts to the glass rather than to the roof. I had this antenna, and it is a great antenna. Either of them are hard to find at retail so you'll have to look online.


Through-Glass model is the Terk SR1

Glass-Mount model is the XM11


No matter what you decide to do, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't mount it inside the car, no matter what people say they get for results. My feeling is people who mount them inside the car and claim it's "fine" are the same people who are tolerant of several drop-outs a day and just deal with it. YMMV, and if you're like me, just like D*, a properly isntalled system should have NO dropouts--not under bridges, not under trees, not in cities... NONE (With the obvious exception of tunnels ofcourse)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzitony /forum/post/0


No matter what you decide to do, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't mount it inside the car, no matter what people say they get for results. My feeling is people who mount them inside the car and claim it's "fine" are the same people who are tolerant of several drop-outs a day and just deal with it. YMMV, and if you're like me, just like D*, a properly isntalled system should have NO dropouts--not under bridges, not under trees, not in cities... NONE (With the obvious exception of tunnels ofcourse)

I assure you I'm not particularly tolerant with drop outs. I had to rig an aux input into my car because I couldn't tolerate using the FM transmitter and I have an Inno and frequently record off of it and any drop outs kill that. I actually get clear reception with it on my dash through all but one tunnel I normally go through and in quite a few parking garages. I can't guarantee that it will work for everyone but it works near flawlessly for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM /forum/post/0


I assure you I'm not particularly tolerant with drop outs. I had to rig an aux input into my car because I couldn't tolerate using the FM transmitter and I have an Inno and frequently record off of it and any drop outs kill that. I actually get clear reception with it on my dash through all but one tunnel I normally go through and in quite a few parking garages. I can't guarantee that it will work for everyone but it works near flawlessly for me.

Sounds like terrestrial repeater coverage bailing you out. How often do you travel longer distances, and what are your results in that case?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzitony /forum/post/0


Sounds like terrestrial repeater coverage bailing you out. How often do you travel longer distances, and what are your results in that case?

I'm sure it is terrestrial repeaters. I rarely leave Portland. But when I do I have only discovered one stretch of road where I get one brief drop out and only going in one direction where there are a lot of hills and trees. All I'm advocating is giving it a try before purchasing additional equipment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzitony /forum/post/0


Terk makes a few "glass mount" antennas if that's what you mean. One is a through-glass style, like an old cell phone antenna would be but I've not heard great things about it. The other you still have to run wires outside the car, it just mounts to the glass rather than to the roof. I had this antenna, and it is a great antenna. Either of them are hard to find at retail so you'll have to look online.


Through-Glass model is the Terk SR1

Glass-Mount model is the XM11


No matter what you decide to do, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't mount it inside the car, no matter what people say they get for results. My feeling is people who mount them inside the car and claim it's "fine" are the same people who are tolerant of several drop-outs a day and just deal with it. YMMV, and if you're like me, just like D*, a properly isntalled system should have NO dropouts--not under bridges, not under trees, not in cities... NONE (With the obvious exception of tunnels ofcourse)

This reply has left me shaking my head. If it works inside the car (as mine does), then why would you insist on routing the antenna outside the car? Your assumption that inside car placements are universally bad fails in my experience; I even get reception inside my garage (with no terrestrial repeater signal). The simple point here is that an indoor antenna mount "may" work for many; I'm sorry it didn't work for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky /forum/post/0


This reply has left me shaking my head. If it works inside the car (as mine does), then why would you insist on routing the antenna outside the car? Your assumption that inside car placements are universally bad fails in my experience; I even get reception inside my garage (with no terrestrial repeater signal). The simple point here is that an indoor antenna mount "may" work for many; I'm sorry it didn't work for you.

I can assure you, if you are getting signal in your garage (especially with SIRIUS) it is a terrestrial repeater. XM will get indoor reception with a home antenna because they are more directional but a car antenna on your dash in your garage?


Go XM for having a great satellite signal I guess, but it still stands that if it's IN your car and not ON your car, you are losing a very large section of coverage to your metal roof...


Keep in mind XM's repeaters are very expansive, almost 900 of them. A map of them is available on my website at http://www.whatsonmyxm.com/gmaps/repeaters.php


Finally, it didn't not work out for me. I have an Accord with XM/Navi--it's built in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzitony /forum/post/0


I can assure you, if you are getting signal in your garage (especially with SIRIUS) it is a terrestrial repeater. XM will get indoor reception with a home antenna because they are more directional but a car antenna on your dash in your garage?


Go XM for having a great satellite signal I guess, but it still stands that if it's IN your car and not ON your car, you are losing a very large section of coverage to your metal roof...


Keep in mind XM's repeaters are very expansive, almost 900 of them. A map of them is available on my website at http://www.whatsonmyxm.com/gmaps/repeaters.php


Finally, it didn't not work out for me. I have an Accord with XM/Navi--it's built in.

I have XM and the antenna sits inside my car under the rear window. Zero repeater signal indicated, but two bars for satelite after pulling into my garage (with garage door open, of course). I have no doubt that outside mounting is superior and necessary for many, but, however well intentioned, it is misinformation to assert that it is necessary for all.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top