AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a old lap top 2006 model w/ XP operating sys.

home edition service pack 2. 64bit this LT never had WMC the next better LT w/ it's bigger 160Gb HDD did. I have recently installed a replacement 160GB HDD

is it possiable to have windows media center on this LT?

I'm hopping there is a patch that I can download.

Thanks STB

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes I was looking at this link yesterday, seam like cnet, links me to M$, when I press get it M$ says it's no longer for sale.

I would like to use this LT as a HTPC (untill I build a real HTPC) any suggestions other than upgrading to Win7 MC, is appreciated.

STB

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...-center/get-it

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello bryan yes if I remeber correctly they did offer the WMC in XP 64 in the initail post I wrote I had a choice for HP to get the next better LT however it would have cost additional $200.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
There is no 64-bit XP MCE. There seems to be some hack to add it, but it was never sold as an actual package. There is also an issue of there not being a 64-bit XP version of the ehome remote control drivers.

You would be better off putting Vista or Win7 on it or using a version of Linux and probably XBMC.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
will I need a complete version of Win7? I was browsing the many available types of Win7 then got confused.

I probably will only use a mouse for control just use the Harmony 700 to power on and off.

Byran what are you'r thoughts on SageTV
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56137

and will I be able to record w/ my new LT that has WMC then use the old LT as a dedicated HTPC for playback w/ either Win7 MC or sagetv?

Thanks

STB

·
Registered
18 Posts
You'll also need a TV tuner if you want to record TV. Some other things to consider:

1. Will that laptop have enough power to display HD video? My guess would be no.

2. A 160 GB hdd is fine for SD recording, but won't be good for HD recording.

Obviously, if you're not watching/recording HD, then these questions are moot.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/20807958

There is no 64-bit XP MCE. There seems to be some hack to add it, but it was never sold as an actual package. There is also an issue of there not being a 64-bit XP version of the ehome remote control drivers.

You would be better off putting Vista or Win7 on it or using a version of Linux and probably XBMC.

I'll have to look into the hack.

What is XBMC?

Still waiting on a response to SageTV?

Thanks

STB

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/20808038

Get the home version. Has everything you need.

Home version will be fine for me.

?1.is this just a key code (w/out OS and driver disks?

?2.is this an upgrade from XP or a complete OS?

?3.can I intsall this on my old XP LT and also install it on my planned HTPC build w/ it's bare MB like is there a limited # of installations?

Thanks

STB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe1975 /forum/post/20808468

You'll also need a TV tuner if you want to record TV. Some other things to consider:actualley I will be recording w/ my new LT and TV tuner stick using an external HDD for storage I'm wanting to use the old XP LT as a dedicated HTPC for playback

1. Will that laptop have enough power to display HD video? My guess would be no. I currently have this XP LT connected to a Samsung HDTV and am viewing 1920x1080 I I'm thinking this XP LT has a decent video card2. A 160 GB hdd is fine for SD recording, but won't be good for HD recording.

Obviously, if you're not watching/recording HD, then these questions are moot.

responses in bold

Thanks

STB

·
Registered
9,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain /forum/post/20812691

I'll have to look into the hack.

What is XBMC?

Still waiting on a response to SageTV?

Thanks

STB

Home version will be fine for me.

?1.is this just a key code (w/out OS and driver disks?

?2.is this an upgrade from XP or a complete OS?

?3.can I intsall this on my old XP LT and also install it on my planned HTPC build w/ it's bare MB like is there a limited # of installations?

Thanks

STB

responses in bold

Thanks

STB

I don't use Sage. XBMC runs on Linux and Windows. Here is a link with information about XBMC .

By Home version he means Windows 7 Home Edition. I would highly recommend a clean install no matter what OS is originally on your PC. Never try to upgrade from one OS to another. Windows Vista and 7 Home Editions include WMC by default.

If you don't want to spend any money then XBMC may work in your case. Not sure if it supports XP 64-bit, but you could install Linux on your LT and then use the Linux version of XBMC.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
specs on old LT it's 6 years old HP Pavilion 5500

M$ XP

version 2002

service pack 3

came w/ 80 GB HDD

AMD turion (tm) 64 mobile

Technology ML-32

1.79GHz, 896 MB of Ram

?w/ less than 1GB of Ram is this why Hulu movies play then slitely pause continously. You tube and other web videos play nicely.

or doe's Hulu require a large buffer?

Thank

STB

·
Registered
624 Posts
It should probably be specified that Windows 7 Home Premium has WMC while Home Basic does not.

Hulu is probably not going to run well on that hardware even with Windows 7, but Flash was pretty broken and just ran horribly on XP in every version after 10.1 or so.

I wouldn't put the money into a new OS for that machine personally. $300 can get you something far better, OS included.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain /forum/post/20808025

Byran what are you'r thoughts on SageTV
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56137

well, I am not Byran, and I don't even play one on TV...

but here are my thoughts on Sage:

Sage is (was) the greatest thing ever...

it is (was) the perfect server/client media solution...

clients could be laptops,HTPC's, or cheapish ($150) little extenders...

clients can also be 'place shifted' (aka over the internet to a hotel room/etc but at a limited quality depending on bandwidth)

you would setup the server to collect/manage all your media (Live TV/Recorded TV/DVD/BR/HDDVD/music/pictures/etc)

at each TV / display device / laptop (in said hotel/motel/etc) you would either have a software client running or a hardware extender...

then you can watch anything anywhere.... pause on one display device, pick up where you left off on another, etc...

unfortunately, Google Gobbled Sage... closed the store... so unless you already have a sage license you are SOL, and sage isn't an option for you...

pity really, since there are no other current products that do all that sage did as well as sage did it...

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/20812760

If you don't want to spend any money then XBMC may work in your case. Not sure if it supports XP 64-bit, but you could install Linux on your LT and then use the Linux version of XBMC.

pretty sure there is a 'live' version of Linux xbmc... that would probably be easier/better... no need to 'install' anything as such...

or an easy way to try before fully committing to linux xbmc/wiping HDD...

·
Registered
4,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain /forum/post/20815064

specs on old LT it's 6 years old HP Pavilion 5500

M$ XP

version 2002

service pack 3

came w/ 80 GB HDD

AMD turion (tm) 64 mobile

Technology ML-32

1.79GHz, 896 MB of Ram

?w/ less than 1GB of Ram is this why Hulu movies play then slitely pause continously. You tube and other web videos play nicely.

or doe's Hulu require a large buffer?

Thank

STB

I have an HP with close to the same specs. There isn't any Windows 7 video drivers for it so you will be stuck with a generic VGA driver.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
If you plan on playing back SD content on it your are fine with XBMC and XP, for HD content the GPU doesn`t support video decoding and the CPU is to weak.

If you want something cheap, get a AMD E350 (Zacate) platform, 2GBs of ram and the HDD from your current laptop + Windows 7 (upgrade version since you already have XP, Home Premium). Should be around 200$ for the total sistem including the case.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
XBMC looks to be good for dedicated SD playback device & web video, on this old LT.

?1.should I reinstall XP OS and drivers, remove all unrelated programs to playback then download XBMC?

?2. this download link has an image for Win7 is this the correct download?

http://xbmc.org/download/

Thanks Guy's for the surport

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.