AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't resist, and picked one up for the guest room today. Man, the box it comes in is HUGE. No possible way of fitting it in a Touareg without first removing the enormous outer box. After that was fine. Hehe.

Got it back home, and the thing buzzes quite loudly. It's very noticable (my 37" Panny 5UY, and 42" 6UY do not buzz or at least not anywhere near this loud). Anyone else have this issue with their Akai?

Thanks!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have been watching DVDs a lot (due to tweaking) and don't have sound hooked up. I have not heard any buzzing close or far away. I even played a few movies with lots of white (expecting it then) but still no buzzing.

I will listen again tonight just to be sure....

Seems like these tvs are real fluky...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that elevation also plays a part in the buzz sound. Something that people living in Colorado would experience buzz sound do to the elevation. Try doing a search. I think I've read in one of the faq about plasma.

Later,

Pedro

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bah, you can hear the buzz on my Akai throughout the room. :( I'm only at 1270 feet from sea level (according to my car), that shouldn't be high enough to cause buzzing. Going to have to take it back I guess.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I muted my Akai and listened...and listened...and listened.

No Buzzing. Changed channels, changed settings...nothing.

If I put my ear to the venting on top I start to hear some buzzing though...certainly not normal viewing - go for the return...

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've had mine for 3 days now, used it quite a bit (although haven't done much tweaking yet, did get the HTPC running and lookin' good tonight). No noticeable buzz from it, even up close with the audio off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
sigh. teh buzz was the absolute first thing I noticed when I plugged it in, before I even had a signal to display. This is not related to picture and stays at a constant bzzzzzz. No speakers are hooked up to it, the sound is from the interior of the unit. I live in BHM, AL which is not a ridiculous altitude.

The buzz is audible throughout the room and I can hear it over the normal audio playback. Its driving me nuts. I dont want to go through teh hassle of swapping it only to find the next one is this loud too. My buzz seems to come from top right. Other people are certain their's is quiet or am I just sensitive to sound?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I called Akai and talked with their tech support. They had me try a bunch of things, then said it had to get serviced. Easier to return/exchange it than having them work on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was going to buy a display model of a SPL4225 that was used about 8 months and it had a pretty loud buzz. I wasn't sure if that was normal but after looking at a few plasmas I realize that wasn't a good sign. My new SPN4235 is whisper quiet. I have to literally be inches away to hear the buzz. Definitely get the thing serviced, it isn't normal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.