AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought the Panasonic 50LC13 last week, and while we are very happy with it, there is one thing that is bothering us.

When the TV is turned OFF, we can see a faint white circular glowing spot (about 4 inches in diameter) towards the center of the screen. It looks just like the white spot you see when someone takes a picture of the screen with a flash and the light from the flash reflects from the screen ... so initially we were thinking it is probably just a reflection of a light coming from somewhere.

However, after close inspection we have determined that it is NOT the reflection of any external light. So we are now worried if this is some kind of a defect with the screen.

Have any of you noticed this on your 50LC13 screen ?

The white spot is not visible at all when viewing any kind of images or video on the screen, so it does not obstruct normal viewing in any way ... but if none of you have this issue, I'd rather get it replaced with a "perfect" set.

Thanks for any feedback ! Even if your 50LC13 does NOT have this spot, I'd appreciate knowing about it.

I'll try to post some pictures later, but so far I haven't been able to take any pictures where this spot is clearly evident.

[EDIT]

Thanks to frankmrt's post below, here is a picture of the spot I am talking about from
tboo's post in this thread --

http://home.comcast.net/~sudiptoc/Pa...White_Spot.jpg

·
Registered
198 Posts
My set does not have the "spot" you are referring to, but my parent's does. It is more or less a semi-circle shape. It would be interesting to find out what it is.

My best friend bought one too. I'll have to find out if his has the "spot".

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you say "Yes" to the poll, could you please write a line or two describing what exactly you are seeing and what you are planning to do about it.

Thanks !

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by psxjunky
If you say "Yes" to the poll, could you please write a line or two describing what exactly you are seeing and what you are planning to do about it.

Thanks !
They plan on keeping their set...it does not show up when watching the set, so they aren't worrying about it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Cruiser !

Yes, in our set also the "spot" is not visible at all during normal viewing. However, since this is a brand new set we *just* bought (and can replace if necessary), I would like to absolutely make sure that this is not any kind of serious problem.

Thanks again !

·
Registered
242 Posts
Looking down at the screen from above with the lights on and the set on, the middle of the spot appears to be a hole from which light is shining through. Above where the hole is, there are circular groove marks. Take at a look at your screen from above and you will see these. I do not understand how some sets do not have the spot though.... Looking at it up close you can see marks all over the screen there.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I saw the spot with one of my lights in my living room but only after looking for it, and it's there.

I also tried this with my TV, I scanned the whole screen with a table lamp and I could the the small circle in the center. Doing this will show you the small spot,fingerprints, and any scratches your TV has.

I think this spot has something to do with the way it was manufactured at the factory.:(

Does it bother me? absolutely not. It's only there when you have the TV off.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by folgersnyourcup
Looking down at the screen from above with the lights on and the set on, the middle of the spot appears to be a hole from which light is shining through. Above where the hole is, there are circular groove marks. Take at a look at your screen from above and you will see these. I do not understand how some sets do not have the spot though.... Looking at it up close you can see marks all over the screen there.
I can see exactly the same thing. You have to put your face right up to the screen almost and only see it against a bright background.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Umm, is this the same spot you can see on the Samsung DLP, the Panasonic DLP, the Hitachi LCD, etc.? It's just the light in your room being reflected internally by the set. It's not a direct reflection. To test this, try turning off the set and all lights at night. Can you see the spot? If it's bothering you during the day, try darkening the room a bit.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
It is there! I turned off every light in the house and hooked up an electron microscope to the center of the screen. I found the mysterious hole everyone is talking about. As I peered thru this hole there was an encrypted message which I soon deciphered. It read:

"We have sold thousands of these tv's in the US and all work except for yours MR. Roundeye Manpig"

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by psxjunky
Have any of you noticed this on your 50LC13 screen ?
The spot is faintly there when the room lights are off. I can't tell that it affects the image quality when the set is turned on.

·
Registered
14,328 Posts
It's the light travel through screen and get reflected from the giant mirror on the back of the TV to the light engine lens. Some light gets reflected from the lens surface back to the screen. If you're so bothered by this, don't buy any RPTV.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I see the spot (VERY faint) you describe only when the TV is off. I cannot see it at all when the tv is on. I don't generally watch my tv when it's off, so it doesn't bother me at all.

:)

·
Registered
404 Posts
I noticed this spot on my Hitachi 50V500 LCD last night also. I tend to agree with the guy's that say it is light being reflected because that is the only time I can see it. In the early evening with the lights off I can not see it until it gets dark enough that you need to turn on the light :cool:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by frankmrt
look at the picture from tboo's setup you can clearly see it there on page two that's the spot I'm talking about.

here's a link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6&pagenumber=2
Yes ! That is EXACTLY the spot I am talking about ! I can even see the (even fainter white) vertical beam that comes down from the spot. I see exactly this same thing on my TV.

Thanks everyone for replying ! This looks like a pretty normal thing, so I am not too much worried now :) ... but I still don't understand how some people are not seeing this ... :confused:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by folgersnyourcup
Thanks folgersnyourcup ! I'll try this once I get home tonight.

Reading all the replies so far, I am much more relieved ! It seems it is not just my set, but pretty much every other Panny 50LC13.

Yes, as mentioned before, I do NOT see the spot during any kind of normal viewing ... be it a dark screen or bright. It is ONLY visible when the TV is turned OFF.

Does it bother me ? Frankly, it WAS bothering me since I didn't know if it is specific to my set or a more general phenomenon. Now that I see this is fairly common, I can get finally some sleep tonight ... ;)

Just for the record, I have scheduled a service call with SEARS to come and take a look at this "issue". They are coming here next week. I'll report here what the technician had to say about this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.