AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I think from reading the posts, most agree that the Hughes Platinum stays pretty warm, err.. make that HOT, but when I got up this morning and felt of it, it was still warm. Is this normal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
761 Posts
DST-3000 always warm, same maker/design as Hughes. Anything I can lay my hand on and not feel discomfort is only warm to me.

Best to leave plenty of fresh air around unit. No heat related problems at 16 months of service.

·
Registered
328 Posts
All DirecTV and Echostar receivers continue to operate as long as the receiver is connected to AC power. Turning the receiver "Off" just turns off the audio and video outputs. The rest of the receiver continues to work. That way it can call in PPV purchases and receive firmware and smartcard updates.

Bill

·
Registered
987 Posts
One other reason the receiver stays hot, is the power supply.

The receiver has to power the LNB's in the dish.

This is used so the guide can be updated, as well as other updates.

The guide is saved in a computer memory in the box.

So, the computer and memory still has to be powered up.

The only thing the power switch does is turn off the video and audio outputs.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Most people assume that off is off.

This is what it used to be, but now, off is some features off.

TV's off means the main section and video is off, but the remote receiver is on, and the picture tube is powered to about 50%, for faster turn on.

So off is almost off.

A lot of people complained when the STB had a fan that ran and made noise. So Hughes built in a large heat sink to dissipate the heat without a fan. This heat is what everyone is concerned about.

There is a trade off of instant on and OFF.

If you want the unit off, then upplug it.

But, when you turn it on, you have to wait for a power up cycle and the guide to download.

If you want instant on, than the most of the unit has to be on all of the time.

Then comes the discussion about reliability. Will a unit's life be longer if the unit stays on, rather than turning it on and off?

You have to step back, and look at why things are done.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Our Hughes is hot -- and this with a replaced motherboard. It runs hot enough that the OTA channels deteriorate and break-up. The unit is on the top shelf of an open A/V stack - by itself w/ plenty of clearance around it. When it's on it's very hot - when it's off (not unplugged off) it's very very warm.

I'm running a 110v cooling fan to draw air out of the top of the unit -- with the fan on the unit is cool and the OTA channels are at full signal strength.

Just talked to Hughes - since it was 'repaired' once they are sending out a new unit to replace it. I'll see how that does.

·
Registered
813 Posts
RobNBill,

Is Hughes telling you that this heat situation is abnormal? Are they replacing it because of the excessive heat or because your OTA is are deteriorating? I'm curious to know what Hughes thinks. Then again, the people who we talk to aren't technical people. The guy I talked to seemed very knowledgeable and he was very helpful, but later in our conversation I used the term "NTSC" instead of "analog" and he didn't know what it meant.

Ralph

·
Registered
63 Posts
AreBee: I asked the tech support person if they were running into a number of units w/ OTA channel deterioration. He said he had not heard of the problem before. I find that difficult to believe. They are replacing the unit because I have one w/ a replaced board and am still encountering the problem -- albeit slightly different in how it deteriorates -- it still deteriorates. Based on the questions he asked I suspect he was trying to follow a script -- I doubt if he was a higher-level tech support.

With a small 110v clip-on 6" fan blowing air through the left side of the unit -- all works well -- full signal strength w/ no deterioration. I just hope the unit they are sending me does not run into the same problem.

Original Post: Is Hughes telling you that this heat situation is abnormal? Are they replacing it because of the excessive heat or because your OTA is are deteriorating? I'm curious to know what Hughes thinks. Then again, the people who we talk to aren't technical people. The guy I talked to seemed very knowledgeable and he was very helpful, but later in our conversation I used the term "NTSC" instead of "analog" and he didn't know what it meant.

·
Registered
813 Posts
It seems like any problem encountered is a first time problem. The tech I have dealt with twice is Louie. He seems pretty intelligent and has been helpful. Some other reps I have spoken with were downright useless.

I have a 120 mm fan installed into the shelf above the Hughes and it does not move enough air. I am going to extend the fan's power cord and put it on top of the Hughes. Placing the fan on top of my Yamaha receiver has worked perfectly.

Still waiting for my replacement to ship.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.