AVS Forum banner

Does your JBL e250p make a loud chirp sound?

• Yes, mine does.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but you're wrong; it's a fart sound.

• Yes, but you're wrong; it's a rippp sound.

• Yes, but you're wrong; it's a mouse getting stepped on.

• Uh. No. You must just have problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever my sub gets an initial signal from my receiver it lets out this loud chirp sound. I was wondering how wide spread this is.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually, I was so interested in this I emailed support on JBLs website. I actually got a reply back in a few hours?!

Quote:
Hi Nathaniel,

Good afternoon and thank you for your inquiry. This is normal, as when

the receiver first turns on or initiates audio, the signal is sent to

the sub causing the chirping/burp noise.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I have an Infinity SW-12 (Beta series 12" sub, 500w amp). Being that it's infinity, it's within Harmon's umbrella of companies, so I'm sure it shares things with JBL. Anyway, mine will "chirp" when the amp turns on.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Wow their reply told you absolutely nothing about why it makes that noise.

But yes that is normal behavior for them. The question has come up on AVS a few times before but I forget what the technical reason is for the chirp.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvgillow /forum/post/14299528

Wow their reply told you absolutely nothing about why it makes that noise.

But yes that is normal behavior for them. The question has come up on AVS a few times before but I forget what the technical reason is for the chirp.

I searched like mad for an explanation. I found some threads where people talked about it. Some said it was normal others suggested getting it repaired, but I didn't find any conclusive answer. I'm glad to know for sure it's normal. I kinda always assumed so, but before I sell this I wanted to make sure. I'll have to search a little more. I'd love to know the exact reason why.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
My previous JBL PB12 did that for years.

·
Registered
934 Posts
My E250p did for quite a while, then I replaced it with a dual 15" IB. Now it just sits in the garage. From time to time, if you listen really close you can hear it weep.

Sorry about the crumby picture, but, to give an idea..

·
Registered
458 Posts
Has anyone rebuilt one of these things? I never liked mine. As soon as I heard the low frequency farts this stinker produces I bought an Axiom EP 500. I still left the E250P on for a bit of fill, but turned down low. I was waiting for the Bash amps to go on sale again at Parts Express and they did, so I bought the 300 watt version and reinforced the E250P box and made the amplifier cutout bigger. I haven't plugged it in yet, but got to thinking well, it's probably going to sound the same with the same driver. Only louder farting maybe.

Some will ask, why not just start over and build a sub box around a driver instead of vice versa? Well, I got the whole JBL Northridge series with the E250P because it was budget priced and so I am happy with the way my home theater setup looks right now. I donno why I even cared to update this thing - just my usual wish to make things that perform poorly work better I suppose.

Anyway, all the sub modeling software starts with the driver. I'm having difficulty figuring what driver (maybe something [cheap] from Parts Express?) would perform as optimally as possible in this small ported box. The box is no more than a foot and a half cubed with the driver and the amp in there. The port is one of those flared affairs thankfully. It's smallest diameter is 3" and it is 9" long.

I also thought about taking the port out and sealing the box. The port is on the bottom so it wouldn't have to be pretty.

The Bash amps need 4 ohm drivers. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Mine makes the sound when the amp comes on as well. I fixed it by replacing the E250P with an SVS PC-Ultra 13.

·
Registered
19 Posts
First, my apologies for resurrecting a dead thread. But I've recently researched and solved this problem, so I wanted to share.

The chirp at start up is a known issue for many JBL e250p subs. Certain serial numbers are associated with bad batches of amps, which had the wrong capacitor installed at the factory. Here's a youtube video, so you can hear the chirp (I didn't make the video).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX8FnD3EK7M

Here's a link to the service manual. See page 15. You need to replace capacitor c65 (16v, 470uF) with a 16v 47uF electrolytic capacitor.
http://www.jblsynthesis.com/downloads/products/prod_115_634504909005466954_E250P,P12SW%20sm.pdf

I've owned an e250p since 2005, but I finally decided that I couldn't tolerate the chirping noise any more (the new sub location is closer to the listener than before). For $0.30 I bought the correct capacitor and then had a friend do the soldering for free. It took him less than 5 minutes. The sub is now silent when it starts up. If only I had spent those thirty cents back in 2005...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts