AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity, if your area has a PBS station broadcasting digitally and in High Definition, does your station broadcast the PBS HD demo loop which is available 24/7 to PBS stations?

If so, where are you and how often does the station send the demo? How do they handle their "regular analog schedule" and the digital channel's schedule?

If not, just skip this thread.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
In Denver they show the National HD demo from about 5 pm to 8 am on weekdays and all day and night on the weekends.

During the day M-F they have locally produced widescreen shows that are usually upconverted to 1080i (few are native 1080i). They dont ever simulcast a digital picture from their analog channel.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
In Portland, OR our PBS station is only on the air from 5-11PM due to budget constraints. If a big National show like Evolution is on, they will air it at 6 & 9 (or 7 & 10). They also do upconverts of the normal programming quite often and the rest of the time they show different demo loops.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Here in Houston, the loop is pretty much shown at least from 8 am - 2 am (I've never checked the other times). When there are other HD sourced PBS shows on, then those are shown ( like the shows on the Alutians). From talking to the local engineer here at KUHT they simple pass whatever it is the national gives them.

-phil

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Seems the loop is on all the time (Houston) I look for it late night and am glad it's there 24/7 when they don't have other HD content, which they show from time to time as stated above. I can't seem to get enough of the HD eye candy.... and was happy to hear you can actually buy HD D VHS tapes of some of HDNet's content. Too bad I don't have a D VHS player YET ;-)

Take care... enjoy HDTV!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Chicago, where I live, does not show the loop. Instead, they are currently multicasting two channels - a stretched upconvert of their 480i programming on one, and a 4:3 480i signal on the other.

Kansas City, which I visit quite a bit, doesn't either. Instead, they are broadcasting 4 480i sub-channels.

·
Registered
296 Posts
They show the loop here in L.A. every day, from around 3pm on. It's quite impressive. The "American Family" show and "Evolution" are great also. Kudos to PBS, hope they get more HD stuff to show.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Pretty much all the time, San Fransisco/San Jose

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
San Francisco Area (KQED) shows the demo loop 99%

of the time as 30.1 *multicast* ~15Mbit/sec.

They also send along 30.2 *multicast* ~4Mbit/sec

480p version of their analog channel.

On rare occasions they interrupt the Demo Loop

to show one of their own productions

(Like Sin/Fire/Gold, Alcatraz or Beautiful Bay Area 3)

KQED adds a KQED logo to the demo loop.

KCET (Los Angeles) also adds their logo on top

of the demo loop when shown in LA...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here in Milwaukee, they are multicasting 5, yes 5 very crummy looking standard channels. Once in a great while, they do show HD programming and they do turn off 4 of the channels. Problem is they do not have a set schedule for the HD programs, and never follow the national PBS schedule. You pretty much have to "bump" into it by accident. The one positive note...they broadcast 5.1 with all of their HD content. Something CBS and NBC here locally never do.

Matt

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
WRLK/SCETV, Columbia SC, provides our PBS programming and they multicast 2 SD channels and 1 HD channel 24/7. They send out the HD loop whenever there is no other HD programming .

Unfortunately this broadcasting schedule makes for really lousy HD. The bandwidth available for HD is 12.6Mbs (6Mbs is used by SD, ~ .7Mbs for overhead.) To improve matters they are trying to tweak the system and their ultimate plan is to someday move to 4 SD daytime channels and 1 HD and 1 SD channels at night. That would allow the HD to have 15.6Mbs which has been acceptable in the past.

Bruce

·
Registered
463 Posts
Pensacola's WSRE shows the PBS HDTV feed (demo loops and HDTV and widescreen programming) from 7 pm to 10 pm Central time everyday.

They are on the air from 7 am to 10 pm daily. Their analog channel is multicast from 7 am to 7 pm with with a single channel, first educational programming from Florida Educational Network (a state PBS effort, I believe) from 8 am to 3 pm and then more national PBS from PBSYou.org until 7 pm. The PBSYou is the same programming schedule that's on DirecTV. Multicasting PBSYou just started last week.

Some of the other AVS members local to my area find it unbelieveable that Smart Travel, with is time shifted by WSRE, is shown as letterboxed widescreen within a 4:3 standard definition on the DTV channel.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I concur with the other Houston respondents. The loop runs except when other PBS HD programming is on. Unfortunately there is not very much of the latter at present.

I would comment that the picture quality of the demo loop is some of the finest HD that I have seen. Also some of the PBS HD shows, Smart Travels specifically has incredible PQ. I noticed that American Airlines has a commercial after Smart Travels that was done in HD which in my opinion shows an astounding amount of marketing savvy by AA.

I was also a bit surprised to read from Belcherwm that WETA does not broadcast in HD as they produced several of the best HD programs shown on the demo loop.

Dennis

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
KUED-DT in SLC has a 480i 4:3 dupe of the analog station on 7-1, and the PBS HD feed on 7-2, basically 24/7.

If I can ever get our PSIP clock set properly and get the TMS (Tribune Media Services) subscription set up, I want to get our program guides going full time. Then, maybe we can get everyone else's EPG working, too.

Does the PBS HD loop programming info get submitted to TMS? If so, it would be easy to put in the EPGs.

KBYU-DT in Provo does not carry the PBS loop, as a result of "nipplegate".

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
In Boston we get the loops from WGBH-DT in Boston and

WENH-DT in Durham NH.

WENH-DT is on mostly 7PM to 9PM nightly, and some Sat Sun

afternoons. About a year ago, they were experimenting with up to 4 low def feeds, including their regular analog, but that was very brief. Mostly it is full time HDTV from the loop.

WGBH-DT is on 4:30PM to 11PM or so daily. They have recently stopped the loop and are showing a test pattern. They are doing a cut down HDTV with 1 sub-channel of low def which carries the regular analog feed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.