AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Just add water and stir
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two dogs. A little one and bigger one.

They are good pets mostly, and they have different ways of dealing with movies that are in the movie theater.

The big one, Dottie, just sleeps near the sub as she lays on the floor.

The little one, Portia, is freaked out by surround sound effects. This has gotten worse since I introduced height speakers. Sometimes amusing, often annoying.

Anyone else have similar reactions from your pets?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My old cat used to want to be in my basement with my 16.5 system , and my old dog wanted to just be a part of the action . I would truly advise you to keep them out of the room when playing it loudly . Your little one is freaking out mostly because their ears are hurting . Since dogs and some other animals have more sensitive hearing than us , some volumes will damage their hearing but not ours

·
Registered
577 Posts
Whenever the back speakers start going, my dog looks around and wonders what is making that noise. Pretty amusing. And, if it's an animal sound he comes right up to the center channel and tilts his head and wonders where that animal is. But, if there is a knocking door sound in the soundtrack, he goes to the front door and starts barking and won't let up until I open the door and show him that no one is there.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Our dog could care less when we watch movies...we're pretty fortunate.  It doesn't matter how loud it is or if there's alot of LFE in the movie, she's pretty much not bothered by it.  She usually just curls up on the couch with us and naps.  The only time we get a reaction out of her is if there's a dog barking in the movie (i.e. the Rottweilers at the beginning of The Dark Knight during the Scarecrow scene)....if so she'll hop up and look around the room for the other dog.  If it's coming out of the center channel she'll run right up the the TV and put her nose on it trying to get to the other dog!

Reactions: zuluwalker

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

I remember years ago one of my brothers had a stereo with speakers with very large woofers (15" or bigger) and he had them on the floor at first and the family dog liked laying up against the speaker front when loud, bass-intense music was played.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Deep bass usually sends my cat scurrying out of the room, sometimes with her tail bushed-out!

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Our dog has never given the slightest indication that he is aware that something is playing on the TV screen or through the speakers. It means nothing to him.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
When I went to CES in January I recorded the take off's with my HDRTD10 3D camcorder which records 5.1 sound, the cat leaves in a hurry if I put one of those on, lots of Bass ...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
The cat watches TV, my dogs have the Alf gene so they only get in when it's really cold (they have heated dog house's) but I had a nature program on where there were Coyotes, the dogs were watching that intently.. (they grew up on a Ranch over an hour from town)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Both my idiots a beagle and my pit lie down on the loveseat they took over and sleep through. Only food and a visitor get attention. The cat could care less. But dogs barking on screen will make my pit bark! big baby he is!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts