AVS Forum banner

Weak bass on PS3 when playing BD movies?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are random reports here of weak bass when playing BD movies in the PS3...this is the only thing keeping me from buying one...just curious what PS3 owners have noticed...after voting, please post a comment on your experiences...audio connection type, etc...

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
My neighbors demanded that I vote "No".

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great....it the PS3 thread there are a handful of reports...must be their other equipment then...

·
Registered
187 Posts
No, my impression is that it's working at it should.

/Chuck

·
Registered
16,935 Posts
Absolutely not. The PS3 is 100% correct in the audio department. Check out what Dolby Laboratories Insider/tester Roger Dressler said about the PS3 in the BD30 owners thread a few weeks back after his extensive testing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler /forum/post/12697354

I'm not sure if I can clarify much. I can say a few things:

1) The PS3 outputs PCM decoded from TrueHD and DD correctly. That means, if we have a digital recording at say 50 Hz (any frequency that the LFE channel can carry), applied to all 6 channels (5.1) at the same modulation level (can be 0dBFS, -20dBFS, don't care as long as all channels are the same), the PCM signals coming out of HDMI are all uniform. (This is the same channel gain relationship as the PCM from any 5.1 bitstream when decoded inside an AVR, prior to any post-processing such as bass management.)

2) There are no gain trims in any channel.

3) There is no fixed bass boost or cut in the LFE channel.

4) There are no high-pass or low-pass filters in any channel.

This is how HDMI PCM output is supposed to be. If the Panny does something different, like apply -4dB to LFE, that is unfortunate and not easy to fix in the AVR.

LFE/bass in particular is the same on my PS3, BD30 and XA2. Any issues being reported are due to other equipment or user issues.

·
Registered
767 Posts
same here, bass is working like it should, I am very happy with the PS3 , coming off the XA2 (which I still have ;-) )

·
Registered
165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/12862336

Exactly, anyone reporting problems in the audio dept. has some bad HT audio gear.

More likely.... bad HT audio gear setup.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMark /forum/post/12870650

More likely.... bad HT audio gear setup.

Possible, but some people's idea of subwoofers is laughable.

·
Registered
165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/12870693

Possible, but some people's idea of subwoofers is laughable.

I can't argue that. You're right.

·
Registered
160 Posts
How much bass does any one person need? And if it was really less than you wanted, wouldn't you simply increase the LFE gain or re-equalize in your receiver? I've no issues with bass (or treble) with the PS3.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Yes, although you can't increase what isn't there.

But, there is no lacking with the PS3 so, yes the audio's flavor would be adjusted by the next device(s) in the chain. Other players may have audio issues, this simply is not the case with the PS3.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
I have felt a slight bass drop after 2.01 upgrade but not up to the weak levels.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 /forum/post/12872144

I have felt a slight bass drop after 2.01 upgrade but not up to the weak levels.

I don't think the PS3 alters the audio in any way. So, I am not sure that it is possible to have a "bass drop" regardless of firmware version.

Perhaps there is something else in play? The PS3 merely decodes the audio track, nothing more nothing less, no seasoning added.

·
Registered
16,935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 /forum/post/12872144

I dont see how this is possible. Read my link above where Roger explains that there are no trim adjustments of any sort in the PS3.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have bass issues when using the PS3.

I don't have the ideal setup however. My PS3 is sending audio over toslink to a non HDMI receiver.

I did not vote in this pole because I don't have any BD movies to try.

When I watch a DVD movie, DD or DTS, the LEF level is very low when compared to the other 5 channels. Seems to be down by about 10 dB. Play the same movie back using my other DVD player and every thing is perfectly balanced.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts