AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember a post a while back that mentioned a "new electronics smell" to the Z12000 when it is on. I definitely notice it, and I was wondering if/when this smell will fade away. Please post if your unit smells, and especially if it used to smell but does not anymore! How many hours of run time does it take before that new projector smell goes away?

Incidentally, what exactly is that smell anyways?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The infamous 10K/12K odor. I've smelled it on both. I have 120 hours on my 12K and the odor is gone.

I wouldn't worry about it. At worst, it'll give you some weird form of cancer.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
120 hours is a LONG time to put up with an offensive odor. This would be a deal breaker to me :(

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thirdkind,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Also, about the cancer... :)

Free,

I wouldn't qualify the odor as "offensive." It is simply noticeable.

ricwhite,

1. Not constructive. If it were, I would be posting on every thread about people who spell "definitely" as "definately".

2. Not correct, either. According to dictionary.com, "smell" has the following definition: v. To have or emit an odor: “The breeze smelled exactly like Vouvrayflowery, with a hint of mothballs underneath†(Anne Tyler).

Definition of "smell"

·
Registered
44 Posts
The smell/odor is not real bad, I have about 25-30 hrs. on my unit & I don't notice it any more. When I did, it wasn't really bad. Smelled like someone warmed up some glue.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by misterfan

ricwhite,

1. Not constructive. If it were, I would be posting on every thread about people who spell "definitely" as "definately".

2. Not correct, either. According to dictionary.com, "smell" has the following definition: v. To have or emit an odor: “The breeze smelled exactly like Vouvrayflowery, with a hint of mothballs underneath†(Anne Tyler).

Definition of "smell"
No offense intended. I was just teasing. Sorry if it upset you.

·
Registered
935 Posts
My 12k "EMITTED ODOR" for about the first 6 to eight hours. It's completely gone now.

Bomber

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Just skip bathing for the first few weeks after you get the projector and start using it, and you'll never notice the odor! :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
misterfan,

Thought ricwhite's comment was very constructive, I laughed. This is a very good forum, but a lot of uptight folks. Can we have a little fun once in a while?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
burgdob,

I would have thought it was funny, too, if I had actually mis-used the word...

I actually thought is was funny after the first sentence. It was the second sentence that made it not funny anymore.

Also, usually comments made in jest have some kind of ;) or :) ...

At any rate, it's a non-issue at this point, as ricwhite lready apologized.

bomber,

I'm at about 18 hours of lamp use, and my Z12K still smells a little strange.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'm sure it's just a little out gasing from the paint or an adhesive. I was alarmed at first like you but it quickly went away.

Bomber

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bomber,

Do you think that using the PJ accelerates the smell decay? Or do you think it fades even while i'm not using it? There seems to be pretty big range as far as people's various experiences.

Yours was only 6-8 hours, while thirdkind's PJ had the odor for 120 hours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.