AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to

be sleeping out in the yard very soon if I cant resolve this soon.

Disaster 1

HD TiVo breaks causing much distress.

DirecTV replacement box interface gets compared to thier box she hated in 1999.

That got her to buy TiVo boxes as a frontend for those boxes because she could understand how thier menus worked.

I agree that this 'new' DirecTV interface blows like a Class5 hurricane.

(I know this is not the right place for this but it prefaces the next issue)

That was two weeks ago, fast forward to today...

Disaster 2

Planning next move for Vista box with DirecTV

Built a new box from leftovers to check potential interest if DirecTV/Vista becomes a reality

My beautiful bride refuses to use it because she totally hates the look and operation of Vista interface.

What to do, what to do?

Is there somewhere an option for a 'MCE2005 like' interface on Vista? While she is a TiVo fangirl, the MCE2005 was useful for the way she feels things should work. Is there a setting, patch or skin that will give her the interface she wants now and maybe someday the DirecTV HD she craves?

All answers are appreciated...

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
She'll get use to it.. Besides.. You are the man of the house in charge of technology.

(I am obviously not married) LOL

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Messing with WAF is highly unwise. To introduce new technology in your situation takes some planning.

First off, you have to remove the pain. You cannot introduce something new as a fix for something that broke. She will be upset that it's broken, and further upset that she has to learn something new just to maintain existing functionality.

My advice to to you, dump DirectTV, and get a Tivo S3 that works with cable. This will give her her old usual interface, and will stabilize the pain.

Then, you can work on MCE or Vista on the side, and draw her in to using it to gain new functionality that her tivo didn't provide.

You must decouple these two steps or you will not get anywhere.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MikeSM

is indeed very wise. Distracting her is far more effective when it involves Tudor's, Law & Order or CSI: in HD. DirecTV is currently hanging by a thread based on this hardware/interface change. The Dish VIP622 has a much more friendly interface but thier TiVo-hostile (lawsuit) nature may not make them a popular choice.

Comcast with a Series3 has some potential since my 1999 era Series1 has a grandfathered lifetime transfer available. My concern there is how Comcast's implementation of switched video would affect it down the road. Throwing money at the problem is not out of the question but if money is thrown it must be done with great effect. A heroic and cheap solution is what I am looking for to demonstrate my advanced computer prowess and general manlyness.

Thank you Vladd, that software looks like it may be just the ticket I was looking for...

·
Registered
887 Posts
Get her own 20" integrated tuner lcd.

She can watch her favourite programs without complaints and she can do the cooking at the same time!

You need to start wearing the trousers!(or pants if your from the US!)

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Too much technology is disastrous. Stick with the basics. Go with Tivo if you cannot keep your HTPC stable. Its your fault it doesnt work.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgexander /forum/post/0

Get her own 20" integrated tuner lcd.

She can watch her favourite programs without complaints and she can do the cooking at the same time!

You need to start wearing the trousers!(or pants if your from the US!)

Bingo!

That's what I did.

Except I got her 22" LCD and I also assembled a new and powerful HTPC for her (kitchen HTPC), the same as my two other HTPCs. My total was ~$570, and sex is better than ever

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have one at home too...she doesnt understand why things dont work..i love the way things dont work...but it does drive me insane..

My resolution has been to let her watch it when its stable and for her to have a backup tv if it goes wrong(till i come home atleast)

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

Quote:

I have one at home too...she doesnt understand why things dont work..i love the way things dont work...but it does drive me insane..

My resolution has been to let her watch it when its stable and for her to have a backup tv if it goes wrong(till i come home atleast)

Well, she has her own DirecTV receiver connected to the monitor thru the Aver stand-alone tuner as well. And stand-alone DVD player connected to the Aver tuner.

I have thought of everything ( I think
).

·
Registered
887 Posts
LOL

Safe and covered i see.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
This all started when she saw LG refrigerator w/build-in 15" monitor, DVD player and Internet access retailing at $9,999.

"Honey, I can do better than that". I had to keep my words.

·
Registered
887 Posts
At which time you had 9.999 in your mind waiting to be spent on new HD equipment no doubt

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

Quote:

At which time you had 9.999 in your mind waiting to be spent on new HD equipment no doubt

And so I did
And got her a new LG refrigerator for $1000.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts