AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did several searches & could not find any duplicating this question & I did not even know where to post it.

Does anybody know if watching movies at loud levels will harm a dog...

- Cam

·
Registered
115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam McFarland /forum/post/15570155

I did several searches & could not find any duplicating this question & I did not even know where to post it.

Does anybody know if watching movies at loud levels will harm a dog...

- Cam

It hasn't hurt my dogs yet.

·
Registered
153 Posts
While I'm not well versed in dog anatomy I ASSume their ears work much like ours so I would not expose them to noise levels I was not comfortable with myself. Just like with us humans, duration is a huge part of the equation.

·
Registered
29,191 Posts
When I turned my system up loudly, my dog would leave the room. They're smart enough to know when its too loud for them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by racineboxer /forum/post/15570925

While I'm not well versed in dog anatomy I ASSume their ears work much like ours so I would not expose them to noise levels I was not comfortable with myself. Just like with us humans, duration is a huge part of the equation.

That's just it, I ASSume their ears work MUCH BETTER than ours.....that is why I am concerned.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I believe they are especially sensitive to ultrasonic (you know, dog whistles we can't here).

HT tends to reach to subsonic, not ultrasonic.

And like a previous poster said, if it's too loud they tend to leave the room.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/15571261

I believe they are especially sensitive to ultrasonic (you know, dog whistles we can't here).

HT tends to reach to subsonic, not ultrasonic.

And like a previous poster said, if it's too loud they tend to leave the room.

My dog leaves the room after he farts. I wish he would leave before.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
As an ex-professional drummer, owner of gonzo audio systems for decades, and a dog owner, I can tell you that a dog won't necessarily leave the room when the volume gets loud. My first dog was hearing impaired after the age of around nine because he used to camp out under my floor toms when I was practicing. He'd lay there sleeping with the sound at 125 dB. Take your dog out of the room when you're listening above reference level, or in later years, he'll be deaf, and he won't be able to hear cars, intruders, other dogs, or your commands.

On this subject, if you ever board a dog, make sure you get to actually see the kennel. Most of the rooms are full of cages with no sound deadening. They are the loudest rooms on Earth. And when one dog starts barking, they all do. Not only does it damage the dog's hearing, it freaks them out and makes them hyper.

Watch my dog walk into the frame at around 2:00 and lie down under my drums. These are electronic, though, and they aren't turned up loud, so they're doing no damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PDSYNeETyg

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drab /forum/post/15571980

Roccovaselino?

My registered stage name with the Chicago Federation of Musicians, 10-208, was Rocco Vaselino.

Quote:
What happened to the necktie?

Um, I couldn't find one my size...

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
As Paul said....take him out of the room when you watch or listen to something loud....then you wont have to worry.

If you want him to be there with you, then you just can't listen as loud....as was said he could sit through damaging loudness and not show stress.

My dog leaves before the volume even gets "loud" let alone BR movie or rockin out loud.

The stupid cat doesn't seem as disturbed and I can't catch him anyway without bleeding profusely.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys.....yep, my dog just likes to around us...I dont think he'll leave, poor guy is not the brightest dog I've owned...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts