AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought an infinity reference 1230 for $20, was told it worked, but wanted to make sure. So I decided, I'd take one of my BIC V1220s out of the box and hook up the infinity and see if it worked (planning on re-selling it since it wasn't really what I was after). In the process of taking the very last screw holding the v1220 sub out, the screwdrive slipped and went straight into the surround.....
So I decide, what the hey, I"ll just make the sub hole a little bigger (the infinity is too large for the hole the bic sub fits in) and put the infinity into the bic box and see what happens....well I got it all hooked up and the sub is playing fine, then all of a sudden nothing coming from the sub...in messing around I put pressure on the cone of the sub and it starts playing, but as soon as I let go....nothing again....I took it back out and re-attached the wires, wondering if it had a loose connection, and its been playing ever since, but I"m still afraid there is something wrong with it. Any ideas what could be wrong. The sub is 300 W RMS 1200 Peak, This is a 200W RMW amp 430 Peak, however, thats at 8Ohms the book says, and this is a 4Ohm speaker (same as the bic sub, not sure why they put 8 Ohms in the book)...Total Noob night for me
....I guess this might expedite my thinking about building my own enclosure for a different sub....

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Doing a custom design would be easy if you're capable of a little woodworking. Throwing a driver into a commercial sub without knowing the specific construction details, and modeling the expected results first is not a good way to go about things, as you just learned. Chances are you just had a loose wire, but you still have no idea what you're getting from that sub.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put the dimensions of the box into winISD as well as the port dimensions, it seemed safe, like I said, this wasn't meant to be permanent, and the Bic sub still fits. I haven't REWed it as I don't have an SPL meter.

i've been reading the DIY forums and learning as much as I can, I'd love 2 lms ultra 5400s, but can't justify the price, So my next thought was a dayton titanic mkIII or eventually two in sonotubes.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I had wondered until I called BIC and they said, its got a 4 ohm sub in it....sure enough it says 4 ohm on the magnet! Makes me wonder if its putting out more than 200 W or if they just lied about 8 ohms....any ideas how to tell how much its cranking out?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts