AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, given current circumstances, we are finding ourselves watching alot more media from various streaming services...i.e Disney+, VUDU, Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc in our dedicated home theater. 135 inch projector...Sony 1080p projector and 5.1.4 sound system.

I have 1gig hardwired ethernet connections available.

That said...currently I use a 1st gen NVIDIA Shield for streaming....which I have had for several years now. I use a Kodi box for our local media. (BDs ripped to .mkv)

Curious if any of the newer offerings would offer a better experience with PQ and sound?

i understand not being 4k probably means no but not sure.

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
For 1080p source and 1080p display, I doubt you're going to see much image quality improvement from a different streaming device. If you're already using Vudu for your purchased/rented movies, they have about the highest bitrate available outside of iTunes on an Apple TV 4K.

You could potentially see some sound quality improvements with a 2019 Shield since you would be able to get Atmos from Netflix and Disney+... you may already be getting it from D+ since some 2015/2017 Shield users report it still working fine and others (myself included) lost it back in March and never got it back. Unfortunately, no streaming device will get you Atmos from Vudu since they only allow it for UHD purchase/playback with a 4K display connected... the only workaround being something like an HDFury Linker that can spoof a 4K EDID and then scale the 4K output back to 1080p.

It doesn't sound like you're using your Shield as a Plex server, but are you using it for USB local storage? If not, even the "tube" 2019 Shield would get you access to Netflix and D+ Atmos... a $50 Chromecast with Google TV (the new 2020 model) should, in theory, and does for Netflix... unfortunately, it seem the D+ app still isn't offering Atmos yet. That said, with a 1080p display, some of its other shortcomings (HDX-only from Vudu) won't hinder you.

Also, keep in mind that you'll need the 4-Screen UHD Netflix account tier to get Atmos as well, but a 4K display is not a requirement.

Reactions: shivaji
1 - 2 of 2 Posts