AVS Forum banner

301 - 320 of 1123 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
i compared RiseOfTombRaider xbox x via ATMOS and via DolbyDigital upmixed; they both sound amazing! the upmixers do an incredible job.

·
Registered
696 Posts
El Atmos de Shadow of TTR es increible...recien empieza el juego...la musica mexicana, los fuegos artificiales, los truenos?, los bombos...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
489 Posts
Are you aware the picture you included does not show Atmos signal being received by the receiver?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Yes I'm aware, I was testing the upmixers.
Last weekend I actually found plenty of sound from the height channels. It really is used when deemed necessary.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
727 Posts
shadow of tomb raider on xbox x is with atmos sound. there are few true games with atmos sound. I am nearing the end of shadow of the tomb raider on my PC steam; and the 7channel LPCM sound upmixed to DolbyAtmos (dolby surround) sounds incredible!! The jungle ambient noises, the crypt/tomb noises, etc.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Is anyone playing Shadow of the tomb raider?
The sound disappears after playing a few minutes
I'm really getting tired of f..ing MS doing everything wrong.
1) SOTTR: sound off ..
2) ROTTR: hangs before starting if Atmos enabled.
3) All atmos when no atmos track
4) Cannot change the 360 region (never).
5) bought the game pass with Free Forzas 7 days ago... still waiting for the forza codes
6) does not play rampage 4k BR...

I'm sure forgetting others

·
Registered
471 Posts
Why WOULD I want to use those heights? Just because they are there? I don't use DSU for the same reason I don't take the colour control on my TV and crank it to 100. I could get more speakers AND more colour! Neither are as intended and I find it distracting. For example, in a movie I was watching with DSU on, a character was sitting around a fire. The fire crackled out of my top speakers instead of behind me where it was supposed to be. I kept glancing up at the ceiling because it was so out of place. In a game I was playing, sounds from the back speaker were directed above me instead. There was nothing above me but open sky in the game, but a machine was buzzing above my head. Gunshots off in the distance often sound more above me. The sound field collapses and I lose directionality. I am constantly pulled out of the movie or game by the unnatural sound of the upmixers. Yes, rain and thunderstorms do sound neat with it on, but that's about the only time I like it. The rest of the time, I feel like I am losing a lot of the sound field for the novelty of having sound come from above me. So no, DSU is not "really good" - it's a distracting gimmick I don't want. Other people really like it tho, which is why I advocate for choice. I don't want to take DSU away from anyone, and I don't want anyone taking away my option not to use it!
Even though very few people share your opinion but this is something I'm afraid of using upmixers. I'm in the process of moving from headphones to speakers and projector setup and I'm trying to decide if Atmos setup is worth it with these upmixers since not that many Atmos games out there (which I'm interested in) and I would mainly play games and would just watch couple of movies (and not even all of movies have Atmos/DTS:X) per months so it's tough to decide if traditional 5.1 setup or trust in upmixers and go with Atmos. I'm not sure if traditional 5.1 can give at least a bit of overhead feeling as headphones can do.

I'm following the Atmos situation in games but I still don't see enough games to build Atmos setup, specially with 4 overheads since those AVRs are much more expensive. I thought that games will adopt Atmos faster since games need to position sounds around you as you turn anyway so why can't they make all games with Atmos sound is beyond me, I'm not familiar with mixing these soundtracks so maybe it's not just that easy to mix sound above you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Why WOULD I want to use those heights? Just because they are there? .... For example, in a movie I was watching with DSU on, a character was sitting around a fire. The fire crackled out of my top speakers instead of behind me where it was supposed to be.... I am constantly pulled out of the movie or game by the unnatural sound of the upmixers. ... So no, DSU is not "really good" - it's a distracting gimmick I don't want....
If you dislike DSU, try DTS Neural X. It operates differently, and generally, it won't place sound above you if it's not supposed to.

More info: https://rantingsofamadaudiophile.wo...-atmos-part-ii-dolby-surround-vs-dts-neuralx/

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Shadow of Tomb Raider is just pure Atmos masterpiece just stunned. It puts the last one to shame and all other Atmos games. This is the first real Atmos game if you ask me. It's so active in the heights to create that ambience of sound. Just floored, its better than almost all movies with Atmos. It's that engaging while you play.

Reactions: am2model3

·
Registered
489 Posts
Shadow of Tomb Raider is just pure Atmos masterpiece just stunned. It puts the last one to shame and all other Atmos games. This is the first real Atmos game if you ask me. It's so active in the heights to create that ambience of sound. Just floored, its better than almost all movies with Atmos. It's that engaging while you play.
Really great to hear. I went to Dolby app and watched the feature on it. I bought it right after. Happened to be on sale too. 11.1 channels should sound amazing, I'll try it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Really great to hear. I went to Dolby app and watched the feature on it. I bought it right after. Happened to be on sale too. 11.1 channels should sound amazing, I'll try it tomorrow.
Yea I watched and listened to its dolby app thing some time ago, wasn't super impressed. But I'm telling ya right now that game itself is for real WHOLE other level of audio for gaming. Truly next generation audio. Just stunned, no joke. I'm using 7.1.4

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yea I watched and listened to its dolby app thing some time ago, wasn't super impressed. But I'm telling ya right now that game itself is for real WHOLE other level of audio for gaming. Truly next generation audio. Just stunned, no joke. I'm using 7.1.4
Does the new Assassin's Odyssey game support dolby ATMOS as well? Also what other recent games support it? Thx

·
Registered
489 Posts
Does the new Assassin's Odyssey game support dolby ATMOS as well? Also what other recent games support it? Thx
Absolutely. As does Forza horizon 4

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #317 ·
Absolutely. As does Forza horizon 4
Nope - Assassin's Creed Odyssey, nor any Forza game, is not Atmos-enabled.

The only recent game that supports Atmos is Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Correct. Someone is fooled by atmos up sample

DTS X is so impressive- constantly shocked how well it places stuff zooming over me- in Titanfall it drops from the ceiling

How does it figure that out?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

How the hell is Odyssey not in Atmos when Origins was a year ago. That makes zero freaking sense. I'm not saying it is I haven't played it but what the hell.

·
Registered
489 Posts

Hmm weird but maybe Odyssey doesn't have Atmos. Lame.
Are you sure about Horizon?
Incredibly lame HDR/Dolby Atmos issues on Xbox, this is why I have Apple TV 4K now for streaming Vudu and Netflix.

301 - 320 of 1123 Posts