AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently building a house and we're just about ready to move in. I had the basement wired for 5.1, but then decided I want to go back and add a full 7.2.4 Atmos setup.

This is what I currently have:

- Fronts: Wall Mount
- Center: Wall Mount (Under 120" screen)
- Rears: Ceiling Mount
- Sub: Currently wired for 1, should I wire up a 2nd sub? What about placement?

Here is what I need:

- Heights: Want to add 4 ceiling mounted, two just in front of seating and two just behind seating
- Surrounds: These will be right next to the seating area, is it okay for them to be ceiling mounted?

I was also planning on waiting until summer/fall to buy everything, because I understand there is a lot of movement and new products coming out. Is waiting at this point recommended? To hold me over I can jam a Sonos Playbar and SUB in the space.

If this scenario is viable, what speakers would you guys suggest. I don't really have a budget, but don't want to go nuts with insane high-end stuff. I want to get the best value for the money. I don't have any audio equipment at this point so I need everything. Any suggestions on speakers and receiver are welcome.

I'm going to snap some pictures today of the space and post in this thread to help facilitate.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
I am currently building a house and we're just about ready to move in. I had the basement wired for 5.1, but then decided I want to go back and add a full 7.2.4 Atmos setup.

This is what I currently have:

- Fronts: Wall Mount
- Center: Wall Mount (Under 120" screen)
- Rears: Ceiling Mount
- Sub: Currently wired for 1, should I wire up a 2nd sub? What about placement?

Here is what I need:

- Heights: Want to add 4 ceiling mounted, two just in front of seating and two just behind seating
- Surrounds: These will be right next to the seating area, is it okay for them to be ceiling mounted?

I was also planning on waiting until summer/fall to buy everything, because I understand there is a lot of movement and new products coming out. Is waiting at this point recommended? To hold me over I can jam a Sonos Playbar and SUB in the space.

If this scenario is viable, what speakers would you guys suggest. I don't really have a budget, but don't want to go nuts with insane high-end stuff. I want to get the best value for the money. I don't have any audio equipment at this point so I need everything. Any suggestions on speakers and receiver are welcome.

I'm going to snap some pictures today of the space and post in this thread to help facilitate.
The point of Atmos is to have side/back wall surrounds and then add ceiling (or upfireing Atmos) height speakers to get a bubble of sound. Having all of your surrounds ceiling mounted defeats the purpose of Atmos. I suggest some reading of the Atmos Thread here or better, going to the Dolby website and look at the speaker placement diagrams.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Everything Ive read says if youve got low ceilings (like, under 12' or so which you appear to have) its best to have the reflective type Atmos modules instead of direct speakers. Ive read with direct speakers in a ceiling that low creates too much localization.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything Ive read says if youve got low ceilings (like, under 12' or so which you appear to have) its best to have the reflective type Atmos modules instead of direct speakers. Ive read with direct speakers in a ceiling that low creates too much localization.
So, would it be best to use floor mounted Atmos enabled fronts? Something like this? I can't do anything floor or wall mounted for the rears or surrounds because of the room layout.

http://amzn.com/B00MQEWQK0

·
Registered
585 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts