AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

I have a question, I was looking at the game discs for my ps3 and they have Dolby Digital stamped on them. Some of them also say DTS Surround. Does anyone know what audio tracks are on ps3 games (5.1, 7.1, stereo only, etc) and what it means to have the above labeling on the disks and game boxes? What kind of decoders need to be on my receiver? I know there are lots of Dolby and DTS encoding/decoding schemes but it seems some of the mid to low end receivers are forgoing support for all the various schemes and supporting only two or three from both. What happens if the receiver doesn't expectedly support the decoder?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsMultiAccount /forum/post/16929539

Hi Everyone

I have a question, I was looking at the game discs for my ps3 and they have Dolby Digital stamped on them. Some of them also say DTS Surround. Does anyone know what audio tracks are on ps3 games (5.1, 7.1, stereo only, etc) and what it means to have the above labeling on the disks and game boxes? What kind of decoders need to be on my receiver? I know there are lots of Dolby and DTS encoding/decoding schemes but it seems some of the mid to low end receivers are forgoing support for all the various schemes and supporting only two or three from both. What happens if the receiver doesn't expectedly support the decoder?

It depends a bit on how your PS3 is connected and setup. The PS3 can decode Dolby Digital and DTS. It will do this if it's hooked up to a receiver over HDMI, and PCM output is set in the PS3 menus.

If you use optical, the PS3 can stream DD or DTS over optical. Receivers have had both DD and DTS decoders for many years.

All that being said, I am not sure about this DTS Surround thing. I have never heard that exact term used. DTS means Digital Theater Surround, so DTS Surround sounds redundant

There is something called DTS Neural Surround that DTS mentions on their web page. If a game uses DTS Neural Surround, it might be that you need to use a 7.1 speaker setup and a specific decoder to get full game surround. I would not worry too much about this if few games have it. See the DTS website for information on DTS Neural surround if any of your games use this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.