AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in a DVD recorder but as far as I know there are none that record 5.1 or DTS. Does someone know when a unit like this will be available? I looked at the D-Theater and almost bought one but found out that you need a stb with firewire.

I have the Dish Network 6000. I'm told future receivers will have firewire.

Anybody?

·
Registered
422 Posts
BLS, they don't record Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 because you'd need extra hardware in order to encode the audio ($$!) and pay royalties ($$!) to Dolby or DTS when you encode. Not to mention you'd need some fancy audio equipment just to mix the six channels before it goes into the recorder.

A D-VHS deck can record a data stream in which DD or DTS sound is already encoded, but can't encode sound into a 5.1 format itself.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I took a trip to the Goofy Guys to see the D-VHS in person I almost bought the JVC D-VHS until I noticed that the only way to record the digital stream is using the firewire port. Is this correct?

Is the JVC D-VHS the only HD recording device that will record this stream? Are there no DVD or Tivo type devices?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BLS
I am interested in a DVD recorder but as far as I know there are none that record 5.1 or DTS. Does someone know when a unit like this will be available? I looked at the D-Theater and almost bought one but found out that you need a stb with firewire.
What would you be recording? The only source I can think of with Dolby Digital audio that could also be recorded to DVD would be some PPV satellite programs, and the only place you would find DTS would be on a DVD, which would not normally be copyable anyway.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where I live in Northern California the terrestrial signals have 5.1 some of the time. I would love to time shift programs and play them back with 5.1. As for DTS your right. I was grouping them together and thinking of the future when there might be broadcasts of movies with the choice of DD or DTS.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BLS
Where I live in Northern California the terrestrial signals have 5.1 some of the time. I would love to time shift programs and play them back with 5.1. As for DTS your right. I was grouping them together and thinking of the future when there might be broadcasts of movies with the choice of DD or DTS.
Oh, OTA HD. You would have to downres the video. ATSC does not provide for any audio coding system other than Dolby Digital, so the probability of DTS ever being broadcast is close to nil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.