AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Denon 1913 hooked up via HDMI to my Uverse box with a Sharp Aquos TV. In order to get DD from Uverse, I have to goto the options menu and change the sound setting from PCM to Surround. Which is fine except when the receiver is off and just the TV is on, you have to go back to PCM in order to get sound. Is there a way to change this so that it's automatic? It kinda stinks to have to go in and change the settings every time I want to watch a movie and then to remember to turn them back for my wife.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try that but out of curiosity, how does that eliminate the surround issue? If I put my uverse box on surround mode, my TV tells me that it's an unsupported mode if my receiver is off. Also, won't that eliminate the Aquos link making my sound come from both the TV and Receiver if it is on? I thought I read that if both HDMI and Optical are plugged in, HDMI gets used 1st. How does the receiver get sound? Thanks for the help, lotta questions.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
The HDMI handshake with the TV should tell the Uverse box to send PCM, overriding the surround setting. That handshake may not be working when the signal is going through the AVR when it's in standby. But, on some devices, that will also force a stereo output over optical. You have to try it and see what happens with your equipment.

You can leave the HDMI connection between the receivet and TV in place to use ARC for smart TV apps. Or you can use an optical connection from the TV for that. Both of those are different inputs than the optical feeding audio from Uverse to the receiver, so there's no conflict or priority between sources.

·
Registered
12,309 Posts
We have done a few installs using the AT&T Universe...

IMHO..

The crucial point is to power up the AT&T box last...

1st the HD display, next the AVR then the AT&T box....

Just my 💰... 👍😉

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code  /t/1467756/dolby-digital-and-uverse#post_23192437

We have done a few installs using the AT&T Universe...

IMHO..

The crucial point is to power up the AT&T box last...

1st the HD display, next the AVR then the AT&T box....

Just my 💰... 👍😉
What does this accomplish and are you talking about the above setup or just straight HDMI? Could you elaborate please?

·
Premium Member
93,214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGhunter  /t/1467756/dolby-digital-and-uverse/0_100#post_23190955

I'll try that but out of curiosity, how does that eliminate the surround issue? If I put my uverse box on surround mode, my TV tells me that it's an unsupported mode if my receiver is off. Also, won't that eliminate the Aquos link making my sound come from both the TV and Receiver if it is on? I thought I read that if both HDMI and Optical are plugged in, HDMI gets used 1st. How does the receiver get sound? Thanks for the help, lotta questions.

If your TV does not accept DD 5.1 and the Uverse box is either surround mode ON or OFF, then it doesn't although give it a try directly from the Uverse box. Cable/sat boxes will generally send a signal over both HDMI and optical simulaneously. If the Uverse box will not, then you may be stuck with stereo only.

·
Registered
447 Posts
hey mighunter , does the denon 1913 have pass through ?

I have uverse and Yamaha v655 have 1 hdmi from receiver to tv

1 hdmi from uverse box to receiver with pass through set to on in the receiver.

like you said the uverse box set to surround get sound dd

with receiver on and if receiver off get just sound from tv.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNc  /t/1467756/dolby-digital-and-uverse#post_23193578

hey mighunter , does the denon 1913 have pass through ?

I have uverse and Yamaha v655 have 1 hdmi from receiver to tv

1 hdmi from uverse box to receiver with pass through set to on in the receiver.

like you said the uverse box set to surround get sound dd

with receiver on and if receiver off get just sound from tv.
Yea that's how I have mine set up. However, when I turn off the receiver, the sound shortly stops after and says incompatible sound mode. My guess is that my tv doesn't support DD and it's not picking up a 2 channel source.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts