AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need somebody to confirm my thinking (or to debunk it!).

So we have a DirecTV Genie system hooked up to a plasma TV and a cheapie Kenwood receiver (but with good speakers)

I have the DTV receiver sending audio to the receiver directly via digital coax. It sends video (and therefore, audio) to the TV via HDMI. I don't have the TV send audio to the receiver because for some stupid reason, the TV downmixes any digital signal it receives to stereo (I know right? Thanks, Toshiba) before it sends it on to an external source.

Anyhow, we normally watch TV with Dolby Digital sound going from DTV to audio receiver. It sounds great. If we use the audio signal coming from the TV to the stereo, I have to use Pro Logic to get surround sound.

So here's the problem. When we're watching TV in Dolby Digital, the sound drops out for a second if we turn the ceiling fan on or off, when the AC starts, or when we close the microwave door(?!?!?!). If we are using Pro Logic, it never drops out.

What do you think is the issue?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincepad  /t/1470923/dolby-digital-drops-out-pro-logic-doesnt#post_23268304

I need somebody to confirm my thinking (or to debunk it!).

So here's the problem. When we're watching TV in Dolby Digital, the sound drops out for a second if we turn the ceiling fan on or off, when the AC starts, or when we close the microwave door(?!?!?!). If we are using Pro Logic, it never drops out.

What do you think is the issue?

Thanks in advance!

This is a power load issue, for some reason your AVR voltage drops when more load is put on your electrical circuit. You may want to try plugging the AVR into another socket and/or circuit if possible. You may want to try a better power strip as well.

Please understand that the DD signal is direct, there is no processing lag as with Pro Logic. You may want to check your Direct TV settings to see if the audio signal is compressed or not, this may help if you have no compression.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Another option would be to get yourself a good UPS with power conditioning. This would prevent the voltage drop your experiencing from impacting the receiver. It would also provide good surge protection for your equipment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts