AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching and digging through the site and other reviews all week and I'm finally going to ask for help. Sorry if there's already thread about this, but I've yet to find a thread to confirm what I need.

I need a PCI/PCIe sound card that can output DDL 5.1 (not pass through) and still have local PC volume control functioning. Volume control through the receiver is not an option (for this purpose). I read somewhere that the Creative cards output DDL but act like 'pass-through' spdif where volume changes in the system does not affect the output - can anyone confirm this? I haven't found a concrete confirmation that if the Asus cards do this either.

I understand that AC3Filter may re-encode and allow volume control changes but that's not what i need. I need one that does it 'natively'... if that makes sense.

If anyone else is running a DDL card outputting 5.1 via spdif (optical/coaxial.. doesn't matter) and still have windows volume control working please let me know which card you're using. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I found a site that actually confirms it!

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mul...sus-xonar.html

Quote:
When DDL or DTS encoding is enabled, the card enters 5.1 mode, disabling the analog outputs. The volume control continues to work then, and you can enable the automatic SVN adjustment.

Follow up question I to D2X, DX 7.1 and Essence STX users... does this work the same way on the your cards?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts