AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference between DVD, DSS and over the air DD quality? While some DD movies sound better than others, is there a mechanical or logical reason one source WILL sound better than another if one had the chance to compare all three?

Second question. How can a DD signal travel over the air, touch my antenna and burst out glorious Dolby Digital sound? How does that happen?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Because the DD signal is included as part of the datastream, and is seperated out for decoding by the DSS receiver and/or settop box.

As to the audio quality between the various bit rates, the answer is... "it depends".

Probably the individual encoding matters the most of all.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I t seems like the early HBOHD movies had "weaker" DD 5.1 than DVDs. Although recently I have heard some amazing sound quality from HBOHD. "Band of Brothers" for example has some of the best DD 5.1 sound I have heard.

Jay

·
Registered
904 Posts
I haven't noticed DD varying too much with the medium (OTA, DBS, DVD), but a whole lot of variation with the content. Some DD DVDs sound great, others don't. Some HBOHD and OTA DD also sounds great, others don't.

My receiver isn't smart enough to tell me the DD bitrate being used, so I don't know how much these variances are due to that factor.

jake

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.