AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading dolby's website about its different formats, and I noticed that it said that it can have a max bit rate of, quote-

"Bit rate performance of at least 3 Mbps on HD DVD and up to 1.7 Mbps on Blu-ray Disc."

What?? Why does HD-DVD get a higher bit rate?? Just curious because space is space on a disc, why can't they at least match HD-DVDs bit rate, here is the link that states it, its under features. Does HD-DVD have Dolby Digital in its pocket or something?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not worried about what other superior audio codecs HD-DVD or Blu-Ray has, I know that much, but I'm just curious as to why the bit rate is not equal with DD+ on blu-ray, technically what is keeping the bit rate lower? Just curious is all??

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm sorta of going off of my main topic , but lets say on V for Vendetta I had a Choice of Dolby HD, or just Dolby 5.1. When I chose either it would play back on my Receiver as DTS 5.1. Of course I'm using an optical cable.

When playing Dolby HD, what bitrate does it downconvert the signal too??

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Blu-Ray is all about LPCM 5/6.1 & DTSHD/MA They aren't really worried about FalseHD or Dolby Digital minus
. Which is evident in the releases so far.

I'll take DTSHDMA or LPCM over anything Dolby has offered ever.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh ya, woops
, I was talking about HD-DVD, should have put that on the hd-dvd forum, I have both so I was just posting that here without thinking about it. Thanks for the replies
, so HD-DVD does what Blu-Ray does with DTS-HD, downconverts it to 1.5 Mbps, which is still fairly good. I won't be getting a new audio receiver until it becomes more main stream and they have everything settled. So right now I will stick with DD+ and the 1.5 core, still better then whats on DVDs.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inca /forum/post/0

So right now I will stick with DD+ and the 1.5 core, still better then whats on DVDs.

IMO 1.5mbps sounds about as good as anything I've heard from "TruHD" & some LPCM 5.1 (depending on the movie).

I think you need some serious high end gear to resolve the full impact of these 5+MBPS audio tracks.. And I have about $1500 in audio equipment (which is kinda weak in these parts). But hey, it rocks for me!

Save up, wait for it to settle down...thats my advice. Your getting improvement without changing anything just by having HDDVD & Blu-Ray in the way of higher bit rate audio...even if it is still compressed (just to a lesser degree)

·
Registered
5,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inca /forum/post/0

Why does HD-DVD get a higher bit rate??

These are the max data rates DD+, does not mean they are used. DD has a higher max data rate on BD than HD DVD does. DD TrueHD has the same max rates on both formats.

Click this post by Roger Dressler of Dolby Labs. In a nutshell BD does not really need DD+. At 640 kbps and 5.1 channels DD will be ≥ than DD+ at the same data rate. DD+ has advantages at slower data rates but since most BD have 640 kbps its a moot point.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBuck1 /forum/post/0

Blu-Ray is all about LPCM 5/6.1 & DTSHD/MA They aren't really worried about FalseHD or Dolby Digital minus

You are so witty. These are the type of comments I wish posters from both sides would learn to refrain from. Are you really taking shots at Dolby Studios because BD lacks support at current time? maybe you need to read Wendell's post and educate yourself.

·
Registered
361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes /forum/post/0

Are you asking about HD DVD or blu-ray? I believe HD DVD will convert tracks to 1.5Mbps DTS over optical. And I don't think there are any blu-ray players that can handle TrueHD or DD+ yet.

According to a Dolby Labs press release TrueHD Support on PS3 the PlayStation 3 does indeed support TrueHD. I have no idea what form this support takes since I don't have an HDMI enabled receiver, any TrueHD encoded discs, or what you'd call comprehensive documentation on the PS3's audio capabilities.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
PCM and DTS Master is where it's at, there are no(apples to oranges obviously)DD+ tracks that come close to the DTS core of the Masters, imagine how good the real deal will be

PCM is another level beyond that, I don't know what the deal is, software or player or whatever, but TrueHD just doesn't get it done for me so far

PCM titles like Descent or Terminator or Black Hawk or Tears are the real deal in audio

-Gary

·
Registered
3,634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell /forum/post/0

PCM and DTS Master is where it's at, there are no(apples to oranges obviously)DD+ tracks that come close to the DTS core of the Masters, imagine how good the real deal will be

PCM is another level beyond that, I don't know what the deal is, software or player or whatever, but TrueHD just doesn't get it done for me so far

PCM titles like Descent or Terminator or Black Hawk or Tears are the real deal in audio

-Gary

The Dubly TrueHD titles I have sound good but, it just irritates the hell out of me why they are recorded so low. I switch a movie from the Dubly Plus to the TruHD and it's like 8-10db lower. I've been more impressed with the PCM titles I have on BD.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts

Quote:
"Bit rate performance of at least 3 Mbps on HD DVD and up to 1.7 Mbps on Blu-ray Disc."

you need to read more and know the history to understand this. HD DVD added DD+ early on. At that time the specs were not even close enough to be finnalized and the HD DVD group passed that a player must be able to support at least 3mbps 7.1. By the time BD added it more was known and DD+ can only handle (for 7.1) a max of 1.7mbps. DD+ can handle more then 8 channels but both formats are limited to 8. IF HD DVD allowed more channels it could go all the way to 3mbps but it does not and so even though it requires players to go that high content will not(unless HD DVD starts allowing more channels and someone makes a title that uses more)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru /forum/post/0

You are so witty. These are the type of comments I wish posters from both sides would learn to refrain from. Are you really taking shots at Dolby Studios because BD lacks support at current time? maybe you need to read Wendell's post and educate yourself.

I don't need to "read Wendell's post" I hear mimimal improvement from DD+ & TruHD and major improvement on DTSHD(core 1.5mbps) and LPCM 5.1

I could care less what format it's on...better is better.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell /forum/post/0

-Gary

Ditto...I couldn't agree more.

IMO HDDVD & Blu-Ray are just about even on PQ now...but with the sound..it's not even a discussion...every single LPCM&DTSHD track i've heard from BD pwns every DD+&TruHD track I have on HDDVD.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd2012 /forum/post/0

Universal is running the highest DD+ bit rate at 1.5Mbps, which they claim sounds identical to the lossless track (yeah right!). Regardless, until someone encodes at a higher rate than is allowed on BD, I wouldn't stress it too much. Its only a problem is someone exceeds it.

Watching "The Sopranos" on Blu-ray on my PS3, I checked the bitrate and it was playing Dolby Digital+ between 3 and 4 mbps. The highest I've seen. As a matter of fact, it's the only DD+ track I've seen on a Blu-ray.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I thought the blu-ray version of sporanos is LPCM 5.1 and Dolby Digital?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.