AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out how to get HD audio for my pc games. If consoles have it then PC has got to.. Right?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I think some sound cards can encode Dolby/DTS, but I can't think of a good reason to if you're sending audio through HDMI. The PC can just send HD quality audio as is, as PCM.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion  /t/1522315/dolby-dts-gaming#post_24476067

I think some sound cards can encode Dolby/DTS, but I can't think of a good reason to if you're sending audio through HDMI. The PC can just send HD quality audio as is, as PCM.

Yep, dolby/dts have no place in PC gaming.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion  /t/1522315/dolby-dts-gaming#post_24476067

Ok well I'm just getting stereo on my reciever, not pcm. How do I get pcm to work? I'm assuming it's somewhere in my audio settings but all my wmc, and XBMC get high Def audio just not my games.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeclough24  /t/1522315/dolby-dts-gaming/0_50#post_24476936

Ok well I'm just getting stereo on my reciever, not pcm. How do I get pcm to work? I'm assuming it's somewhere in my audio settings but all my wmc, and XBMC get high Def audio just not my games.

Go to sound settings and click configure, select 5.1/7.1 and you should be good.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003  /t/1522315/dolby-dts-gaming#post_24477104

Go to sound settings and click configure, select 5.1/7.1 and you should be good.

Ok great, I'll try that when I get home from work. I'll let ya know, thanks!

·
Registered
790 Posts
If you happen to still have problems after setting 5.1 or 7.1, try changing the bit rate (also in sound settings). Originally I set it to the maximum, but I found that gave me some problems sometimes. I turned it down to the second highest setting, and everything works as I expect it to.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems to work great now, thanks guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion  /t/1522315/dolby-dts-gaming#post_24479506

If you happen to still have problems after setting 5.1 or 7.1, try changing the bit rate (also in sound settings). Originally I set it to the maximum, but I found that gave me some problems sometimes. I turned it down to the second highest setting, and everything works as I expect it to.

So turning up the bitrate.. what does that do exactly? Does it effect the audio quality?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Generally, higher bit rate means higher quality. Above a certain level there's probably no practical benefit though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts