11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://vividlogic.com/news/Dolby_Sep1203.pdf

Dolby Laboratories to Add

FireWire to Its Licensee Support Package

VividLogic’s FireBus software development tools

provide seamless connectivity, command, and control

interoperability to Dolby’s FireWire audio tools

San Francisco, September 12, 2003—To reduce time-to-market for its customers, andto ensure interoperability between advanced entertainment products, Dolby Laboratoriesis developing reference tools to support its audio technologies over FireWire® (akaiLink® and IEEE 1394) networks. Dolby’s audio tools for FireWire will employVividLogic’s FireBus® IEEE 1394 software to marshal audio data in a complex network

of digital devices. FireBus enables Dolby’s tools with the necessary set of robust IEEE1394 audio and video protocols to validate the performance of Dolby® audiotechnologies in a home network. Dolby will integrate the new 1394 audio tools into thecomprehensive set of support products available to the company’s licensees.

Entertainment devices supporting FireWire are rapidly materializing to share highqualityaudio and video in home entertainment networks. These products benefit fromDolby’s tested expertise in providing a compelling audio experience in home theatersystems, networked audio, and Internet audio delivery. Digital television, DVD, satelliteand cable systems, and personal computers now deliver theatre-quality surround sound

audio tracks over the IEEE 1394 interface.

“Dolby is proud to deliver the joint solution with VividLogic to Dolby Licensees,†saidSteve Vernon, Vice President, Licensing Technology, Dolby Laboratories. “Theavailability of cost-effective, co-developed test tools provides our licensees the ability to quickly validate their audio streams for conformity with the Dolby audio formats andthereby maximize their time-to-market advantages. With this new program, theconsumer is assured that the same consistent degree of quality and performance

traditionally associated with Dolby technologies will reside in future plug-and-play

systems.â€

“Our pre-integrated software and Dolby audio test tools provide a quick and convenientway for our mutual customers to deliver IEEE 1394-based audio products on time,†saidShiva Patibanda, Chief Executive Officer, VividLogic Inc. “VividLogic specializes indeveloping software that enables digital connectivity and plug-and-play interoperabilityto digital audio and video devices. VividLogic’s FireBus software and compliance test

suites are based on open standards and reduce time-to-market and improve the chancesof interoperability.â€

About VividLogic Inc.

VividLogic is a leading supplier of home entertainment infrastructure for digital CEdevices. VividLogic’s FireBus® software is deployed in several models of digital TV,digital STB, and DVHS from leading CE companies already in the market. Thecompany is located in Fremont, California and is privately held. For additionalinformation about VividLogic, visit www.vividlogic.com.

About Dolby Laboratories

Dolby Laboratories creates technologies that intensify and enhance the entertainmentexperience. For nearly four decades, Dolby has been instrumental in defining highqualityaudio and surround sound in cinema, broadcast, home audio systems, cars,DVDs, headphones, games, televisions, and personal computers. Based in San Francisco

with European headquarters in England, the privately held company has entertainmentindustry liaison offices in New York and Los Angeles, and licensing liaison offices inHong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, and Tokyo. For more information about DolbyLaboratories or Dolby technologies, please visit www.dolby.com.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Kipp,

This is an important step in making i.link the de-facto standard for hi-res audio. It will also run all components in the system with 1394 connections and this software, which will make a universal remote more useful. In short, it looks like a possible winner. Only time will tell. If

Pioneer or Mits picks it up, it will make it certain IMO.

Bill

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ok what does this thing do that i.Link couldn't do before? I'm confused what is this all about it's all jibberish to me?

Daniel Smith

·
Registered
132 Posts
Quote:
I'm confused what is this all about it's all jibberish to me
Well some might say that "jibberish" is another name for marketing press releases. In this case, at the very least it adds to the arguement that Firewire is a standard. At CEDIA, one pre/pro or receiver manufacturer after another who did not have a digital audio input like Firewire for DVD Audio and SACD said they were waiting for a standard. Maybe this will help. I personally don't care if it is Firewire for Audio and DVI with HDCP for Video, or HDMI for both, or some combination of the three, I just want to see both digital audio and video on any pre/pro or receiver I buy from here on.

Robb

·
Registered
565 Posts
I hope this helps push Lexicon to do an upgrade on the MC8 to add firewire and PLIIx. Because I want to use the firewire port when I buy the Denon 5900. And last time I spoke with a Lexicon rep about the 2, he gave me the "standard" line.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
This appears to be an announcement of testing tools / protocol to verify Dolby formats across firewire developed in conjunction with Vidid Logic.

Perhaps Dr. Dressler (hi Roger) will pop his head in and add a comment with respect to this release...

Regards,

·
Registered
12,409 Posts
1394 is standardized, but not necessarily the data that travels over it. If various products are to talk to each other, and particularly to connect digital audio, we find that we have clarify the specs and verify the results to make sure they work as intended.

·
Registered
12,409 Posts
>>Is Dolby expecting other protocols, perhaps not used with DVD-A or SACD to transfer digital audio, over 1394?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.