AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a DVD from the library. It's a 1951 movie and the box has the audio listed as Dolby Monaural Audio. What is Dolby Monaural Audio? How does it differ from good old mono.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mono and monaural (mono is monaural for short) are the same thing...I believe Dolby's version uses a noise reduction technique, which is what first made them famous.

·
Registered
29,964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBiker /forum/post/14301840

What is Dolby Monaural Audio? How does it differ from good old mono.

It just means the mono soundtrack was compressed using Dolby Digital. Nothing more complicated than that.

Sanjay

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
First optical monaural soundtrack realise of Callan (1974) used the Dolby A type noise reduction process.

Its not uncommon for monaural film soundtrack to crop up on DVD Casablanca (1942) is perfectly encoded on region 2 so that the sound is detected straight at the one of three matching fronts the centre channel.

The original King Kong (1933) thou the monaural sound is encoded equally on to left and right it needs to be also manual diverted to the centre with the use of Dolby stereo pro-logic where the sound will then originate from centre channel.

The mix is very rough on the low end “wow” yuck.

Jaws 2 (1978) is also encoded equally on left and right and needs to be manual sent to the centre channel though the use of Dolby stereo pro-logic. So yes there’s quite a bit of hands on sometimes.

Cape Fear (1961) is encoded with single monaural channel that is sent direct to centre channel, so don’t take all this automation for granted.

Possible Dolby digital encoding and the encoding from what I have experienced over the years, can be rather misleading partially with a few of the Dolby 70mm six-track versions, anyway you’ll grasp what I mean when you listen hard!

Dolby 1.0

Dolby 1.1

Dolby 2.0

Dolby 2.1

Dolby 3.0

Dolby 3.1

Dolby 4.0

Dolby 4.1

Dolby 5.0

Dolby 5.1

Dolby 5.1 EX encoded = BS because I know like many other how this works and I was using centre back nearly full year before Star Wars episode 1, now then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts