AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hooked up my new Panasonic DMP-BD85P-K Blu-Ray player to my Onkyo 707 Receiver and noticed something I wasn't really expecting while watching my first movie - my surround rear speakers were silent. I looked at the Blu-Ray disc and found the DTS-HD Master Audio was only encoded in 5.1 so I guess it makes sense. So here's my question: I change my listening mode to PLIIx on my Onkyo and get sound from all 7.1 channels, but will I lose the additional lossless (or near lossless) quality of the DTS-HD or will PLIIx just add the two rear channels?

Note: I am sending the audio to the Onkyo via HDMI 1.3 in bitstream.

Thanks to anyone who can offer me advice on this!

·
Registered
22,496 Posts
This is an AVR-specific question, so you'd better ask in the appropriate Onkyo thread.

The short answer is that there's nothing in the process of matrixing 7.1 from 5.1 that will degrade audio quality in any way. PLIIx-Movie mode is simply taking some sounds from the sides and moving them to the back.

That said, some AVRs have limitations on how much processing they can do at once and *may* do things like down-res the audio or use the lossy core to allow 7.1 matrix plus things like EQ, bass management, etc. all at the same time.

Bottom line is always going to be: how does it sound to you?

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
It's a receiver-specific question only as to whether the AVR supports PLIIx. Some can't apply DSPs when decoding lossless codecs and some (Pioneers mostly) won't apply Dolby DSPs to DTS source material.

But, once you've determined that the AVR can do PLIIx when decoding dts-MA, then the answers you got here won't change from receiver to receiver. PLIIx uses matrix algorithms to extract some of the surround channel information to produce stereo rear channels. To the best of my knowledge, how well it does that depends on the source material, not the brand of receiver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts