AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hooking up my Front Heights I have been listening in Dolby PLIIz as my mode. My question is am I sacrificing surround sound separation by not using Dolby True HD?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, so the 5.1 content is the same but the PLIIz just ads discrete audio the FH's when there is no content originally going to them?

·
Registered
30,711 Posts
Thank you, so the 5.1 content is the same but the PLIIz just ads discrete audio the FH's when there is no content originally going to them?
PLIIz doesn't add anything, let alone anything discrete. It takes decorrelated (out of phase) sounds from the surround channels and sends them the height speakers. These sounds wouldn't have imaged at any particular location, so they're a good candidate to steer to height speakers. The soundstage becomes taller without anything distracting coming from the heights.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have to put in my 2 cents. I am really surprised how much better my whole movie listening experience has improved w/ the Front Heights added. Considering you can barely hear anything when you put an ear to one of the speakers. The surround sound really envelopes the room w/ the non-discrete sounds.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have to put in my 2 cents. I am really surprised how much better my whole movie listening experience has improved w/ the Front Heights added. Considering you can barely hear anything when you put an ear to one of the speakers. The surround sound really envelopes the room w/ the non-discrete sounds.

Agree, I wish mine were a bit higher, but the additional work would not be worth the reward in my room, and it wouldn't look near as clean. It really does add just enough to blend my room too as my mains are very far apart.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts