AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum, but I'm pretty new to the whole home theater world. I recently bought a yamaha HTR-5860 receiver and a set of Infinity 5.1 speakers. Anyway, my question has to do with audio formats and what I should be hearing.

Right now, I have my DirectTV receiver and my PS2 plugged into the Yamaha with digital optical cables. Okay, when I play a PS2 game (Madden 2006) it says it's in DPLII mode. I can hear audio coming out from all of my speakers and my subwoofer. But on the main display of the receiver it only shows the two Front R and Front L speakers as in use. Also, the DLPII light is on as well as the PCM. What does PCM mean?

Last night I watched something on HBO that was in Dolby Digital I belive, anyway, when the show came on, it automatically switched my receiver to Dolby Digital mode and all 5.1 speakers where shown as being in use. Does this sound right? Am I doing something wrong? Very confused, thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
The PS2 only does Dolby Digital during cutscenes or movies. It cannot do it in real time gameplay. Which means you are simply getting a stereo signal that might have been encoded to take advantage of DPLIIx. The PS2 can do DTS in real time, but only a handful of games support it.

What is PCM? http://www.teamcombooks.com/mp3handbook/12.htm

PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) is a common method of storing and transmitting uncompressed digital audio. Since it is a generic format, it can be read by most audio applications—similar to the way a plain text file can be read by any word-processing program. PCM is used by Audio CDs and digital audio tapes (DATs). PCM is also a very common format for AIFF and WAV files.

PCM is a straight representation of the binary digits (1s and 0s) of sample values. When PCM audio is transmitted, each “1†is represented by a positive voltage pulse and each “0†is represented by the absence of a pulse. Figure 26 shows how binary data is converted to a PCM signal.

·
Registered
30,360 Posts
From your description, those lights on the front panel seem to be describing incoming channels, not the speakers being used.

In your PS2 example, the Yamaha receiver gets 2-channel sound and applies surround processing (PLII) to play it back over all 5 speakers.

With your DirecTV receiver, the Yamaha receives a 5.1-channel signal. There is no need to apply surround processing; just send each channel to its respective speaker.

PCM is a digital audio format. So is Dolby Digitial, DTS, MP3, etc. (Think about how digital pictures can be stored/transmitted in various formats such as JPEG, GIF, etc.) All those digital audio formats can have varying number of channels: 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.1, 5.1, 6.1.

Best,

Sanjay

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.