AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point me toward articles comparing AC3 with DPL? I'd like to read what was said when AC3 was first introduced in home A/V equipment. I have a lot of old A/V magazines, but it's difficult to find what I want just by browsing. I think the first introduction of AC3 (or DD) was in 1992 (according to a Dolby publication I have), but in the magazines they don't start talking about it until about 1994-5 in actual equipment. So if an article is available on the web, I'd appreciate a URL. Thanks

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well since almost noone is using Dolby Pro logic anymore you are going to be pretty hardpressed to find anything current. You may be looking as for back as 1995-1996 to find anything comparing the two.

If you are new to the concept of Home Theater then I would say do not waste your time thinking of building a Pro-Logic based system!!! The most popular current surround fields are Dolby Digital (the term AC-3 is no longer used) and DTS. DVD's are encoded in these formats..only really old films may still be in Pro Logic/Stereo. Then there are the newer formats of Surround EX and DTS-ES which are currently limited in the software available for them so I do not recommend them to a beginner.

You may want to buy a book by Robert Harley called "Home Theater for Everyone" for the newbie it is EXCELLENT reading. His new edition covers the new surround formats. I have the 2nd edition and still learned new things!! Or just read all the posts of this and other web forums like digitaltheater.com or hometheaterforum.com (I find this one better for beginners..no offense).

Good Luck

Michael

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I would suggest you build a system around an AV/Preamp/Processor or AV Receiver that incorporates, as a minimum, the following decoding capabilities:

DD 5.1, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic 2.

Although all new film titles are produced with either DD or DTS, many older titles are encoded in Dolby Surround and they will benefit greatly from a Dolby Pro Logic 2 playback.

In addition, although DD 5.1 is the standard for HDTV, many sources are DD 2.0. So, again, they benefit from Pro Logic 2.

If the product you select has EX or 7.1 capability, then those are additional bonus features that you may find useful.

In my opinion, Circle Surround or DTS Neo 6 are superfluous as there is insignificant software available for those formats and Pro Logic 2 or Leixcon's Logic 7 do a far superior job of enhancing non-encoded stereo sources than either of those formats.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Michael and Cwood. No, Michael, I am not a beginner. In fact my "hi fi" days go back as far as the British Leak Point One (% distortion) amp with two KT-66s in the output (circa 1951) What I was looking for were references to old articles when DD (AC3) first came on the market, to see what users used to DPL said about it. Perhaps the book you mention would be interesting, but I'd still like to see the early references.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.