AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My VCR died and since I hardly used it anyway since getting the Replay, I am not replacing it. On my VCR I had an AudioSource Surround Sound Processor.

My question is the Dolby signal kept when something is encoded on a Replay (say from a DVD)? I'm trying to decide if I want to hook up the Surround Sound Processor right to the output of my DVD player or to the Replay. It would get a lot more use connected to the Replay as I tend to only use the DVD player once with a movie (and that is to encode it to the Replay so I have it available much more easily).

-SeeSpotRun

p.s. The VCR failure was because I had a power outage and when the power came back, the VCR didn't. I have since bought a UPS to put on the equipment by the TV. The semi-clean AC signal from the UPS shouldn't hurt the Replay as it is just a computer, right?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The Replay can do pro-logic surround, but not 5.1. Probably the same as your VCR did. If you don't watch DVD's from your DVD player, your not missing anything.

·
Registered
498 Posts
anything that uses a left/right audio connection will only maintain dolby pro logic surround. (at that point you really can't do much to get rid of it, it is encoded in the audio already and unless you process it too much it stays there...)

anyway, why not just get a A/B multiswitch if you don't have a rx/surround processor that supports inputs.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I would hook the processor up to the Replay.

And yes.. you are well advised to have the UPS on your Replay unit.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Your options depend upon what I/O connections your TV has. If it has multiple inputs, it may have outputs, especially audio, and you could connect your surround processor to the TV's output. Another option would be to use an automatic A/V switch (Wal-Mart has a decent Philips unit), connect your DVD player and ReplayTV outputs to its inputs, and send the switch's audio output to your surround decoder.

·
Registered
412 Posts
most recivers have more than one input , i would try to get the most direct sound from the dvd to the reciver , optical is the best IF their is an output for it on the dvd and an input on the reciver , if not that then spdif .. as for the replay , even though it has an optical out , it's still only pro as their is no 5.1 processer in the replays , so it doesnt really matter what output you use ( well the optical / spdif still sounds better ) .... also of note , only HDTV has true 5.1 , none of the broadcast stations send out 5.1 , and i think only a FEW of the cable chans do , although i wouldnt be suprised to learn that some of the movie stations do .. and yes my cable box says dobly digital on it , but it only has a lft/right analog output .. heh the wonders of "catch phrase" marketing.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Quote:
only HDTV has true 5.1
Not entirely true. Some digital SD content (particulary the subscription channels) will sometimes broacast a DD 5.1 signal. And not all HD content has a DD 5.1 signal either.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jameskollar
Not entirely true. Some digital SD content (particulary the subscription channels) will sometimes broacast a DD 5.1 signal. And not all HD content has a DD 5.1 signal either.
thats why i said a FEW of the digital ones and the movie ( subscription ) chans ....

What i ment with the HD chans is that they are the ones truly capible of it , the ability is "built into" the signal standard , weather or not the show was recorded with 5.1 or if the station choses to include it with the broadcast is entirely dependant on the broadcaster and the local station ( or local cable co ) .. broadcast VHF was never ment to carry more than 1 lft and 1 right chan ( and i think even that came AFTER color ) .. BUT if a show was created with prologic , that will still be present in the l/r analog signal , unless the broadcaster has hacked the crap out of the orginal sound track.

one thing i have noticed when flipping chans is that some stations "reversed" the signal .. for instance i can be watching somthing that sounds like good prologic on WB , then change over to USA and the phase will reverse , ie the surround speakers jump in volume and the center/front fade out ... it's rather annoying acctully .. this also happens when stations switch to the local "used car" commercials from the networked one.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Another way to get 5.1 output from ReplayTV is to connect it to a receiver or pre/pro that supports DPLIIx. I've been running mine in this fashion for a while and it works great.

-Skip

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Quote:
thats why i said a FEW of the digital ones and the movie ( subscription ) chans ....
To me (an propably just to me) :D it wasn't clear that that was what you meant. Sorry.

Quote:
Another way to get 5.1 output from ReplayTV is to connect it to a receiver or pre/pro that supports DPLIIx.
Or plain old DPLII. You can use such a decoder on most any Dolby Prologic signal. While this is technically correct, this is not the same as DD5.1. DD 5.1 is 5 discrete signals at full bandwith with a separate center sub woofer channel. The best you can do with the DPLII is generate matrix channels of center, rear left and right and subwoofer. It's probably gonna sound better, but not as good as DD5.1 all else being equal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.