AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious. How many people listen to TV using a Dolby decoder? If so, do you only use it for some shows?


If not, is it because you don't like it, you don't know what shows will sound good with Dolby, or you just don't think about it?


I think I mainly listen to TV in stereo. If I think about it, I will turn on the DPL IIx decoder which seems to work well with pretty much any show. Some shows are recorded in Dolby, and should sound best in Dolby.


I thought about this because I was watching Palladium, the music channel, and realized I was in stereo. I switched to a Dolby decoder, and I preferred it in surround sound. I think this show is recorded in surround sound, as the standard DPL decoder works correctly - if I recall correctly, if a show is not recorded in Dolby, using DPL will put everything to the center channel. DPL II mostly fixes this, letting you use it with pretty much every source ( I am not sure about mono movies though.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
I use DPL IIx for almost all TV and never really gave it a second thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that's a reasonable way to listen. Have you noticed mono movies being sent to the center channel only? (assuming you even watch older movies in mono.) Some people might not think of that as a drawback though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16976500


I am curious. How many people listen to TV using a Dolby decoder? If so, do you only use it for some shows?

I pretty much watch every tv show in DPLIIxMusic through my Yamaha HTR-5860 receiver. Very few shows sound so bad that I revert to non-post-processioned stereo. Some musical presentations sound much better with Yamaha DSP post-processing applied, but no single DSP mode is consistently 'best' (probably because of variations in tv show audio [down]mixing techniques).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex /forum/post/16976583


I pretty much watch every tv show in DPLIIxMusic through my Yamaha HTR-5860 receiver. Very few shows sound so bad that I revert to non-post-processioned stereo. Some musical presentations sound much better with Yamaha DSP post-processing applied, but no single DSP mode is consistently 'best' (probably because of variations in tv show audio [down]mixing techniques).

What do you do for mono movies? Like TCM?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a sure-fire way to know if a TV show/movie is recorded in surround? I always thought that if you selected old skool DPL, and all the sound went to the center the show was not recorded in Dolby surround.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some HD shows might be in two channel DD. In which case you should be able to apply Dolby Processing to them if desired.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16976604


What do you do for mono movies?

I'm guessing that I don't notice the mono movies as a problem . . . I suspect I'm not generally bothered if the sound is redirected to only the center speaker under the right circumstances...



Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16976604


Like TCM?

Like TCM? I can't like or dislike it . . . I don't even receive it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No TCM? Where do you get your fix for dramatic overacting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
From my understanding a show does not need to recorded in Dolby Surround. It only needs to be stereo for the DPL or DPL II to work. Both decoders are designed to take 2 channels and create 4 with DPL and 5.1 with DPL II.


I have been watching the first seasons of the X-Files on dvd and they are only stereo and my receiver decodes and creates surround sound just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NADz /forum/post/16976976


From my understanding a show does not need to recorded in Dolby Surround. It only needs to be stereo for the DPL or DPL II to work. Both decoders are designed to take 2 channels and create 4 with DPL and 5.1 with DPL II.


I have been watching the first seasons of the X-Files on dvd and they are only stereo and my receiver decodes and creates surround sound just fine.

What you say is definitely true for DPL II which was designed for stereo sources. DPL IIx contains the same capability.


DPL was not designed for general stereo sources, and might not sound right, or might not sound as good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16976604


What do you do for mono movies? Like TCM?

MICHAEL..


If the source material is encoded in Dolby 1.0 (mono) then only the center channel will output when played through a Dolby Pro Logic decoder. Thats why now the source material which originally only had a mono audio track are now usually encoded in Dolby 2.0, however the 2 tracks are identical. So when played through a Dolby Pro Logic decoder (or DTS NEO, Logic 7, SRS) the audio will be handled like a stereo source but there will little matrix action during playback..


Just my $0.025...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code /forum/post/16977246


MICHAEL..


If the source material is encoded in Dolby 1.0 (mono) then only the center channel will output when played through a Dolby Pro Logic decoder. Thats why now the source material which originally only had a mono audio track are now usually encoded in Dolby 2.0, however the 2 tracks are identical. So when played through a Dolby Pro Logic decoder (or DTS NEO, Logic 7, SRS) the audio will be handled like a stereo source but there will little matrix action during playback..


Just my $0.025...

I was thinking of mono movies sent in stereo. Like in old TCM movies where you get a mono signal in L/R.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16977359


I was thinking of mono movies sent in stereo. Like in old TCM movies where you get a mono signal in L/R.

Either way, it still images at the centre of the front soundstage. So it comes down to whether you prefer that central image as a phantom image or a hard source.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16977024


What you say is definitely true for DPL II which was designed for stereo sources. DPL IIx contains the same capability.


DPL was not designed for general stereo sources, and might not sound right, or might not sound as good.

Actually that is exactly what DPL was designed for. It is 2:4 matrix decoder designed to take stereo tracks and convert them to 4 channel Dolby surround. DPL II creates 5.1 and DPL IIx creates 6.1, 7.1.


Here is a good link with a breakdown of the surround schemes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I understand. But DPL was either not intended for non DPL sources, or does not sound right with many non DPL sources. Just my experience.


DPL II seems to work well with most stereo sources whether or not they were encoded with Dolby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16976891


No TCM? Where do you get your fix for dramatic overacting?

lifetime mostly
, while the wifey is watching and i find myself having the strange and sudden urge to down a few bottles of high proof alcohol.


seriosuly, michael, you have too much time on your hands



i use dpl 2x, neo 6 and the parasound "natural" settings interchangeably--i havent watched anything in mono that I know of....palladium DOES sound great in surround--i would agree wholeheartedly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dude I TOTALLY have too much time on my hands. I am trying to get a job, believe me
I still think it's interesting to know how people listen to two channel movies and shows.


I think I typed the channel name wrong. It's Palladia.


My receiver does THX Neural which is another decent sounding surround decoder.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top