AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
You can hear TrueHD over a number of HDMI 1.1 receivers by setting your player to output PCM.

Unless your player can be set to passthrough, this is the only way to hear TrueHD through a digital connection.

They will be coming out with HDMI 1.3 receivers mid year or so. You would need a player that can send TrueHD through bitstream HDMI to utilize that. Interactive audio will be disabled under this setup.

Many people are simply not concerning themselves with HDMI 1.3 for this reason. Instead they are getting 1.1 receivers which support 5.1 or 7.1 over HDMI/PCM. See the stickied future proof thread in this forum for the details.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Also, any receiver with 5.1/7.1 analog inputs is a TrueHD receiver with the right player.

Quote:
They will be coming out with HDMI 1.3 receivers mid year or so. You would need a player that can send TrueHD through bitstream HDMI to utilize that. Interactive audio will be disabled under this setup.

According to this from Dolby, you might need to use player decoding to get any audio, interactive or not:

Quote:
Eventually, A/V receivers will have direct access to Dolby® Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD bitstreams. We are working with the IEC and HDMI organizations to update data protocols to enable future versions of these high-bandwidth interfaces to carry these bitstreams.

To decode these bitstreams, the A/V decoder will need to support the updated data protocols, as well as incorporate these new decoding algorithms. In addition, it will be necessary to select HD discs in which the content maker has permitted the core 5.1 or 7.1 audio bitstreams to bypass the player's mixing process and be sent directly to the digital outputs of the player. We expect that certain HD discs will permit this, but they may represent a minority of titles.
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/techno...HD_avrs_3.html

So, only certain discs will allow the core bitstream to pass via HDMI if I'm understanding correctly

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I think the 1st crop will be available in June this year. Are there any devices right now that can actually even transmit this undecoded via the HDMI connection? Most I am aware of are designed to decode this themselves and then transmit the muti-channel audio in PCM to the avr.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/0

I think the 1st crop will be available in June this year. Are there any devices right now that can actually even transmit this undecoded via the HDMI connection? Most I am aware of are designed to decode this themselves and then transmit the muti-channel audio in PCM to the avr.

Passing the undecoded bitstream will require HDMI 1.3 at both ends, I'm not aware of any receivers that have been released with this.

From what I read above from Dolby, bypassing the player decoding/mixing and sending this bitstream to such an AVR will be at the discretion of the content provider, and they suspect most discs won't allow it.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
So I take it this to mean, that even in June when these AVR's come out, it may be quite a ways in the future before you can really take advantage of that additional software in such an AVR? Interesting. Thanks for the additional information.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey /forum/post/0

Passing the undecoded bitstream will require HDMI 1.3 at both ends, I'm not aware of any receivers that have been released with this.

From what I read above from Dolby, bypassing the player decoding/mixing and sending this bitstream to such an AVR will be at the discretion of the content provider, and they suspect most discs won't allow it.

I did not hear Dolby's spokesperson metnion that in the interview. If that's true, HDMI 1.3 is more pointless than the interview would lead you to believe.

·
Registered
206 Posts
"With six or eight channels of 24-bit/96 kHz audio to handle from these new HD formats, the post-processing DSP requirements for an A/V receiver more than double. Rather than devoting the considerable DSP resources to decoding the core audio signals within the A/V processor itself, it may be more fruitful to use the A/V processor's DSP resources to perform high-resolution post-processing such as bass management, room or speaker equalization, Dolby Pro Logic® IIx decoding, or other types of digital signal processing."

From the above Dolby link.

So if I am understanding this paragraph, Dolby is stating that rather than the reciever decoding the audio, it wuld be better for the player to decode and the reciever to apply DSP,bass management, etc?

So basically we will be back to where we are now, with the HDMI 1.3 audio arriving at the reciever already decoded and the reciever basically just directing the various audio channels to the proper outputs.

So I guess the audio processor on the player will be a very important consideration in purchasing decisions, much more than it is now..

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech /forum/post/0

will there be an audible difference between letting the player

decode the info or the rec or prepro do it.

There should not be any difference at all. It will still be in digital format and exactly the same thing, when it makes it to the receiver (even when it is decoded in the player). Remember this is lossless, not the lossy compression.

BTW, any disc authored in advanced content mode has to be decoded in the player itself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.