AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am dealing with a weird issue that I can't seem to resolve and thus I am hoping someone here can help me. I have an Intel Core i5-3330 cpu with an EVGA 660Ti 3GB GPU. I also have an Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR and a 7.1 sound system. I use the GPU to power my triple monitor setup but then I use the onboard Intel HD 2500 graphics to drive the sound via HDMI. I am using MPC-HC x64 with the LAV codecs and well I can bitstream everything (TrueHD, DTS-HDMA, etc.) but I can't seem to bitstream the TrueHD core of a Dolby Atmos track. I've downloaded the Atmos demos from www.demo-world.eu but again I can't bitstream the TrueHD. The files I downloaded say there are two audio tracks; A TrueHD track with a DD core and a DD+ track. MPC-HC defaults to the DD+ track and that plays fine. If I switch to the TrueHD track (which it says is a sub track, I think) I just get a loud humming sound.

I know my AVR can handle the TrueHD core of an Atmos track because two weekends ago I watched The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 on my PS3 and the TrueHD 7.1 core track bitstreamed perfectly fine to my AVR.

So I'm not sure why my PS3 will handle Atmos tracks like I'm expecting but my PC can't. I hope someone can help me?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What playback software are you using? I know that MPC-HC needed an update to handle Atmos tracks, but not sure that affects a TrueHD stream.
I'm using the latest nightly build of MPC-HC x64

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Onkyo receiver that you are using can only decode regular DDTrueHD and not DDTrueHD/Atmos
That can't be true because as I said, when I watched the new Hunger Games movie via my PS3 two weeks ago it bitstreamed the core DDTrueHD track just fine. I mean my AVR lit up with the DDTrueHD symbol and even said it was playing the core 7.1 audio!

Have you tried the latest stable build of mpc hc? I don't think it will make a difference but doesn't hurt to try.
Yes, I've tried the latest stable build of MPC-HC and that made no difference.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any other codec packs installed?

Bill
Make sure the LAV audio decoder (0.63 or higher) is being used and the only audio decoder.
There was my problem! Apparently I had a codec pack installed from time before I realized that MPC-HC came bundled with the LAV codecs. Removing this codec pack instantly solved everything for me. Thank you for your help. I knew there had to be something up with my computer and I figured you all could help. So, again, thank you! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.