AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to get a definitive answer from the masters for my soon to be set up. I have Samsung plasma, a Pinoeer VSX-D711 , a Panasonic BR player and will have 5.1 speakers shortly. I'm trying to get as many channels and as high quality sound as I can. The BR player does Dolby TrueHD and such, but I would like some help figuring out what the rest of my system will do, or if it's preventing me from full quality surround sound.

I will hook the TV to the receiver via toslink -> toslink to coax converter -> coax cable -> receiver to get sound to the external speakers for regular television watching. And the BR player straight through toslink for sound to the receiver and through HDMI for video to the TV. I'm using the separate audio cable because I heard the TV will only pass stereo sound back out.

My question is if I will be able to take advantage of the BR players ability to decode Dolby TrueHD or if my receiver will downmix or prevent me from hearing everything I should. And if I were to get a newer receiver with HDMI switching, and the ability to process DTHD (a receiver with HDMI switching doesn't necessarily have DTHD decoding does it?), would it make a difference.

Thanks for reading and any advice you have.

·
Registered
30,788 Posts
Neither TOSlink nor digital coax will handle the HD audio. The only current (consumer) formats would be via (multiple) analog interconnections (your player can DECODE the HD audio but it lacks multichannel analog outputs) or via HDMI (which your AVR lacks). You need a new AVR for HDMI or swap the Panasonic for a player with analog outputs. Get the AVR.

And, yes, you are right that a receiver with HDMI switching (or HDMI passthrough) will not decode the HD signals.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. So to summarize, in order to take advantage of my BR players ability to decode DTHD or other HD audio tracks, I would need a new receiver that has HDMI and also decodes DTHD, or would I just need the receiver to accept an HDMI connection?

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
The receiver has the 5.1 analog inputs, but the DVD player only has two channel outputs. You're not going to get the HD audio with that set up, but you'll get dolby 5.1 and DTS.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawesjmu /forum/post/16982306

Thanks for the quick response. So to summarize, in order to take advantage of my BR players ability to decode DTHD or other HD audio tracks, I would need a new receiver that has HDMI and also decodes DTHD, or would I just need the receiver to accept an HDMI connection?

You just need one that accepts audio over HDMI, but most that do also decode now, so you can go with the player outputting LPCM (the decoded signal) or send it over bitstream and let the receiver do it. No sonic difference between either of those choices. If the player decodes, the receiver's TrueHD/DTS-MA indicators won't trip (it'll probably display LPCM or PCM) but it will be the full lossless audio from the Blu-Ray disc.

There were a few receivers with HDMI audio but no decoding, but it's been awhile since they were made. I think a few Sony receivers might still be that way.

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawesjmu /forum/post/16982306

Well, the answer is that either will do as long as the AVR can process audio from HDMI. The reason is that the player can output HD audio as-is (bitstream) or can decode it to PCM. However, these days almost all new AVRs will also decode HD audio.

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
Unless you have money lying around, I wouldn't buy a new receiver just to get the lossless codecs. But that's just me. If a new receiver is not a big expense for you, then go ahead and go for it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/16982347

The reason is that the player can output HD audio as-is (bitstream) or can decode it to PCM. However, these days almost all new AVRs will also decode HD audio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/16982332

You just need one that accepts audio over HDMI, but most that do also decode now, so you can go with the player outputting LPCM (the decoded signal) or send it over bitstream and let the receiver do it. No sonic difference between either of those choices. If the player decodes, the receiver's TrueHD/DTS-MA indicators won't trip (it'll probably display LPCM or PCM) but it will be the full lossless audio from the Blu-Ray disc.

Thanks to both of you for expanding on this as well. That really cleared things up as I was looking at my BR player audio options and saw bitstream or PCM and now know what that means. And I'll know what I'm doing when I do eventually upgrade my receiver. To wrap things up, I can't get HD audio, but I should still be able to get 5.1 surround via TOSlink right?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yes, Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 will work fine with TOSlink.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts