AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happens when a unit doesnt process Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA? What should one expect a receiver (ie. Denon 2308) to do?

what units/equipement have Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA output?

·
Registered
30,709 Posts
If the player can send out the bitstreams over HDMI, the newer AVRs can process both formats. As for which players will, there are several thread on AVS about that.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well... I guess i am more concerned on how the receiver (2308) handles it. Ie. Sending information from a DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD source in the receiver. What happens?

·
Registered
30,709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitabh9 /forum/post/12957863

Well... I guess i am more concerned on how the receiver (2308) handles it. Ie. Sending information from a DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD source in the receiver. What happens?

?? It should decode and process it. Unfortunately, the 2308 cannot handle those lossless CODECs and will force you to use the lossy ones.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it that bad? I mean lossy codes vs lossless codecs? Can the human ear hear the difference. The only reason why i ask is because i am debating b/n 2308 and 2808

·
Registered
30,709 Posts
Only you can answer that question. To me, the difference is significant but I can understand that it may not be so for others.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting... my interest is there to have near perfection... but my wallet refrains me to achieve that.

Obviously you are a knowledgable source. But, from a novice (buying my first Home theater system) can i notice it. Problem with dealers here, is that they dont have everything hook up. just display models, showing how pretty everything looks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
How good the audio will sound using the "lossy" codecs vs the "non-lossy" codecs depends on how well the original tracks were compressed. Sometimes you'll find a DVD that will have a great uncompressed track and a horrible compressed track. Others will have great sounding tracks either way. So, basically, every DVD will be different. You may also consider purchasing a BluRay or HD-DVD player with onboard decoding. Then you can output the uncompressed audio through analog RCA cables to the receivers 5.1 or 7.1 analog audio inputs (if that model has them.)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mmmmm... so getting lossless audio, just gives me future proofing for future dvds (which i dont own or buy). mmmmmm

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
If by DVDs, you mean Blu-ray or HD DVD discs? Sure. DVDs will likely never have lossless audio (they don't have the room.)

Manufacturers are always trying to come up with features to entice you to "upgrade" your gear. DVD/Dolby Digital was a big leap forward, IMHO. A practical no-brainer.

High definition disc players are not a revolution in quality, unlike HD broadcast or cable which is an impressive improvement in quality. You may be able to hear the difference in audio, or see the difference in video. With a large display, you SHOULD see the difference in video. Audio is more subtle.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Can Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA be set in the player to be sent out in only 5.1 (via analog outs) for those with only 5.1 inputs? Or if using using a only 5.1 pre-pro would you just not connect to the 6th and 7th pre-outs on the player and miss whatever it is that is sent to the 6th and 7th channel?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitabh9 /forum/post/12957975

Is it that bad? I mean lossy codes vs lossless codecs? Can the human ear hear the difference. The only reason why i ask is because i am debating b/n 2308 and 2808

The 2308 can process multichannel PCM, which ALL HD-DVD players can send instead of TrueHD. Some BD players can also send PCM and TrueHD tracks as PCM (but only the DTS core of DTS-HD MA). So depending on the format and player you buy, not having TrueHD and DTS-HD MA decoding in the receiver may not cost you very much.

That said, I would get the 2808.
Or even better, the Marantz 7002.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWDawg /forum/post/12958762

Can Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA be set in the player to be sent out in only 5.1 (via analog outs) for those with only 5.1 inputs?

For one thing, most tracks are still 5.1. Secondly, of course! Data from the back surrounds just gets folded into the side surrounds.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks, good to know. I figured there had to be some way to set the player for only 5.1 rather than simply having it send a 6th and 7th channel nowhere.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So you would get the 2808 over the 2308, just to be safe when it comes to lossless audio regardless of what player i buy and sources i listen too.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Yes, because it doesn't leave you at the mercy of the player...you will be able to handle any kind of player or either format.

·
Registered
30,709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWDawg /forum/post/12958762

Can Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA be set in the player to be sent out in only 5.1 (via analog outs) for those with only 5.1 inputs? Or if using using a only 5.1 pre-pro would you just not connect to the 6th and 7th pre-outs on the player and miss whatever it is that is sent to the 6th and 7th channel?

You just tell the player to output 5.1 and it will.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Correct me if i am wrong here

if audio codecs (DTS-MA and DTHD) are the preference of choice when selecting a receiver, selecting the 2808 would be better. Therefore a the consumer that is also budget conscious, would then make do with the Onkyo 605.

Also knowing that there is a sacrifice in VP when selecting the Onkyo 605 over the Denon 2808

1 - 20 of 39 Posts