AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
We know Disney is entering into the UHD BD format by Q3 2017. We know Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is coming, per James Gunn (Please let it be a Dolby Vision encoded disk). So, if they happen to announce anything else even earlier, it will be a nice surprise. Disney had said last year they were watching how the format was doing, and they had no plans to release UHD Blu-ray disks in 2006, or 2007. So, they must have finally decided the format is successful enough. I really hope Disney puts most of their titles out in Dolby Vision, it's the premium format we deserve.
No, we don't know those things.

If you have any proof that Disney will start releasing on UHD by Q3 2017, please provide it.

And unfortunately, James Gunn's Twitter comment is vague. Scott Derrickson basically said the same thing about Doctor Strange. But he was a little more clear saying that he graded UHD master that will eventually come out. No time frame. And as we all know, Doctor Strange is out digitally now, and on disc in 2 weeks with no 4k version.

I can cite many more examples of Disney having created home UHD HDR grades for their movies, yet are sitting on them. They will release them only when they are ready. And they have not yet announced when that will be.

·
Registered
328 Posts
No, we don't know those things.

If you have any proof that Disney will start releasing on UHD by Q3 2017, please provide it.

And unfortunately, James Gunn's Twitter comment is vague. Scott Derrickson basically said the same thing about Doctor Strange. But he was a little more clear saying that he graded UHD master that will eventually come out. No time frame. And as we all know, Doctor Strange is out digitally now, and on disc in 2 weeks with no 4k version.

I can cite many more examples of Disney having created home UHD HDR grades for their movies, yet are sitting on them. They will release them only when they are ready. And they have not yet announced when that will be.
Well, I hear you, but that tweet still sounds promising, I think it'll be this year. Even if they wait till 2018, they will eventually release some disks. Only 16% of US households have at least one 4K tv at this point, and just a tiny fraction of those have quality HDR.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Well, I hear you, but that tweet still sounds promising, I think it'll be this year. Even if they wait till 2018, they will eventually release some disks. Only 16% of US households have at least one 4K tv at this point, and just a tiny fraction of those have quality HDR.
No problem. I appreciate your enthusiasm. I'm glad to see you take an interest and do so much research. I too, as with everyone else here, am looking forward to Disney eventually releasing UBDs. And I'm also looking forward to purchasing DV discs whenever they start rolling out.

But you tend to state a lot of opinions, rumors, and misinterpretations as fact, making you sound authoritative, which you are not. Like with your misunderstanding of the different dynamic metadata standards. Please just try to stick to the facts, clearly identify when you're giving an opinion, and cite your sources.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Yeah this happens quite a few times. A director says something and people jump to conclusions. Sure it will probably happen eventually but right away? Unlikely.
Yes, these forums can become a big game of telephone. One thing I've seen bandied about as "fact" is that Disney will start releasing UBDs when they are finally able to author DV on the discs. That was only rumor. When Dolby sent out that press release about DV discs coming this year, Disney was not mentioned. And Disney still hasn't proclaimed any intentions officially. Yet that rumor persists, probably because of wishful thinking. I hope it's true too. They will join the format eventually, it's inevitable. But until they say when, it's all supposition.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Yes, these forums can become a big game of telephone. One thing I've seen bandied about as "fact" is that Disney will start releasing UBDs when they are finally able to author DV on the discs. That was only rumor. When Dolby sent out that press release about DV discs coming this year, Disney was not mentioned. And Disney still hasn't proclaimed any intentions officially. Yet that rumor persists, probably because of wishful thinking. I hope it's true too. They will join the format eventually, it's inevitable. But until they say when, it's all supposition.
Yeah like when an old title is announced 'mastered in 4K' then some post here and elsewhere it will be on UHD BD fast but of course it is not.

·
Registered
328 Posts
A German DVD news website 'Area DVD' has just reported yesterday that Warner. Brothers is releasing the Harry Potter UHD Blu-rays with Dolby Vision encodes, and not just HDR-10...

"According to the information we received from Warner's customer service, the "Harry Potter" films should be among the first Warner Ultra HD Blu-ray discs with Dolby Vision HDR. According to the quoted response from the Warner customer service, the Ultra HD Blu-rays new 4k masters have been created, and HDR10 standard also Dolby Vision HDR are supported. There is no official confirmation from Warner yet."

and now today the German site Heise is reporting that it's more or less official now...

"Warner Home Video brings the early 4K reissues of the Harry Potter movies to Ultra HD Blu-ray with the increased contrast HDR format Dolby Vision. The Ultra-HD Blu-rays of the films "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix", "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" and the two parts of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" will not only offer 4K image, they should also offer an increased contrast HDR in "dynamic" HDR format Dolby Vision. This was announced by Warner Home Video (WHV Germany) on demand."

Oh my goodness, I'm going to start doing backflips off of my desk chair. Dolby Vision and DTS:X? Those disks are going to add new meaning to the term reference quality. Yes, I'm getting excited now.

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Warner-erste-Ultra-HD-Blu-rays-mit-HDR-Bild-im-Dolby-Vision-Format-3633260.html

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Oh my goodness, I'm going to start doing backflips off of my desk chair. Dolby Vision and DTS:X? Those disks are going to add new meaning to the term reference quality. Yes, I'm getting excited now.
They might be upscales however and the early ones not shot with HDR cameras.

·
Registered
328 Posts
They might be upscales however and the early ones not shot with HDR cameras.
I think most of them were originally shot on 35mm film, maybe they used digital cameras on a few, I'm not sure. The early ones were definitely shot on 35mm. When you scan a negative using a negative scanner, or a print from film, using a normal scanner, the color depth of your DI can be as high as 16-bits. 35mm film is great hdr material, so even if they mostly will be using 2k upscaling for the films, they can still release a version with genuine 12-bit hdr, they just can't truly make it as good as a 4K DI would be. Only the resolution is upscaled, not the color bit depth or the HDR. But now this way in 5 years they can release it again with real 4K remasters.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
They're all different, but most are digital sources now even if they were shot 35mm. They used such a mixed bag of cameras and technologies for all the different shots, I don't see them ever going back and creating new DIs. At least a couple would be from native 4K DI, but the rest would be upscales:

Iron Man 1 - shot 35mm, 2K DI
Iron Man 2 - shot 35mm - 4K DI
Iron Man 3 - shot 35mm/2.8K - 2K DI

Cap 1 - shot 35mm/1080p/2.8K- 2K DI
Cap 2 - shot 2.8K/5K - 2K DI
Cap 3 - shot 2.8K/6.5K - 2K DI

Thor 1 - 35mm - 2K DI
Thor 2 - shot 2.8K/5K - 2K DI

Hulk (Norton) - shot 35mm - 2K DI

Ant-Man - shot 2.8K/3.4K - 2K DI

Avengers 1 - shot 35mm/2.8K/1080p - 2K DI
Avengers 2 - shot various from 1080p-to-6K - 2K DI

Guardians 1 - shot 2.8K - 2K DI

Strange - 35mm/various digital - 2K DI

Am I missing one?

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Only the first two Harry Potter films can be remastered for UHD-BD, because they were shot and finished on film, which can be HDR scanned at 4K for a Dolby Vision grade. Whether or not WB has bothered to do that or have just recycled the 2K master done for the later Blu-Ray releases, we simply don't know and I don't think they will have spent the money to do a fresh scan and genuine HDR grade, given what has been done with the format thus far.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Only the first two Harry Potter films can be remastered for UHD-BD, because they were shot and finished on film...
Didn't know that, I thought they were all finished at 2K like other films of the era (LotR, etc.). Surely they won't redo the effects work, though...

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Didn't know that, I thought they were all finished at 2K like other films of the era (LotR, etc.). Surely they won't redo the effects work, though...
2k-ish, yes. But, you can still get a nice - albeit moderate - increase in detail from scanning the 35mm film source at 4K. Certainly not as nice as you would get from going back to the original negatives and re-doing the VFX, but there's a little to be had there and you can easily scan with HDR processes to get an accurate digital representation for grading.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
On a side-note, if WB really wants to get into UHD, they need to raid their 80's and 90's catalog of titles. New Line Cinema has some great gems that would go great on UHD. Mortal Kombat and it's sequel, Spawn, The Corrupter, Blade, The Island of Dr. Moreau, and many others are ripe for UHD-BD releases.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Only the resolution is upscaled, not the color bit depth or the HDR. But now this way in 5 years they can release it again with real 4K remasters.
Still were shot with non-HDR cameras so they will not be blasting into the mid and high end of HDR luminance like 'The Martian' and instead will be underwhelming HDR wise as those who bought UHD BD of as old or older productions complained about although they should of known better then to expect much beyond a resolution increase.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
On a side-note, if WB really wants to get into UHD, they need to raid their 80's and 90's catalog of titles. New Line Cinema has some great gems that would go great on UHD. Mortal Kombat and it's sequel, Spawn, The Corrupter, Blade, The Island of Dr. Moreau, and many others are ripe for UHD-BD releases.
Outside of Lord of the Rings, WB has always treated New Line's catalog like unwanted step-children on home video. It took them years to see Blu-ray in many cases.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by US AudioList View Post
I'll wait to buy a new TV with both HDR and Dolby Vision before jumping into 4K blurays..
LG OLED 2017 vintage
Thanks wse but the Panasonic UB900 does not have Dolby Vision support yet. I still need to wait for Panasonic to come out with a new player to support both format DV and HDR.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Also how come no manufacture announced at CES 2017 that they would release high end 4K player yet?

You have to re-define high-end. Sony's player is as high-end as it gets because it supports every disc format you'd have and it uses premium construction. The features and designs that were common on the high-end DVD and early BD players of yore are no longer possible or necessary due to advances in technology, so the idea of a $2000 UHD-BD player that weighs 15lbs or more is pretty ridiculous to say the least.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Either you are right or the manufactures are waiting for a more mature market. Trust me, manufactures always love to take our money and will eventually release $2k to $5K players.

81 - 100 of 164 Posts