AVS Forum banner

2421 - 2440 of 2508 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
And, with the Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV setting I get this (top line only showing HDR). Trying to understand the difference as should be the same no regardless of which HDR setting is used no?
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well, I have my answer from the Vertex 2 owners thread: HDFury Vertex2 - Owner's Thread

Snippet from the post by @claw :

why would the LG report receiving Dolby Vision with Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 [ignore RX HDR]
but report receiving HDR with Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV

It's exactly what I was asking above. Basically the two settings I described above are inconsistent as I stated and the Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV does NOT make my TV receive LLDV frames - it just sends the Custom HDR info which is rather rubbish. The Vertex OSD is reporting exactly what's being received by the TV and it's not LLDV for the setting in question - it is indeed, HDR.

So no LLDV for Samsung QLED's unless the Ignore RX option is used which would be, logistically, painful.

@HDfury
very disappointed at your answer which was pretty misleading when it is quite clear that the whole point of this thread is to get LLDV. The failure to respond to my follow-ups and which are the same questions posed in the Owners Thread isn't brilliant either :(

EDIT : Post corrected. I misunderstood as per further post below. Vertex 2 & LLDV does work on QLED's

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Thanks - nothing to worry about then :)

Edit : @HDfury Actually, having said that, then why does the Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 [ignore RX HDR] (instead of the LLDV one) show LLDV on the output OSD line? Just curious
Because you are not replacing LLDV here, you just activated an option to replace HDR and that have nothing to do with LLDV.
If you don't select to replace LLDV signaling by HDR aka "Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV", then LLDV comes in/goes out untouched, all normal as well here.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
And, with the Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV setting I get this (top line only showing HDR). Trying to understand the difference as should be the same no regardless of which HDR setting is used no?
That is the way you are supposed to use it as per instructions, again all normal here.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Well, I have my answer from the Vertex 2 owners thread: HDFury Vertex2 - Owner's Thread

Snippet from the post by @claw :

why would the LG report receiving Dolby Vision with Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 [ignore RX HDR]
but report receiving HDR with Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV

It's exactly what I was asking above. Basically the two settings I described above are inconsistent as I stated and the Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV does NOT make my TV receive LLDV frames - it just sends the Custom HDR info which is rather rubbish. The Vertex OSD is reporting exactly what's being received by the TV and it's not LLDV for the setting in question - it is indeed, HDR.

So no LLDV for Samsung QLED's unless the Ignore RX option is used which would be, logistically, painful.

@HDfury
very disappointed at your answer which was pretty misleading when it is quite clear that the whole point of this thread is to get LLDV. The failure to respond to my follow-ups and which are the same questions posed in the Owners Thread isn't brilliant either :(
You are disappointed by what exactly ??? which question ?

Looks like you are not getting anything correctly here, so i'll try again ...

is your Display DV capable ? No it is not .... therefor your display also have no DV mode to render any HDR content in DV, so what is the option left ? the only option left is to use your display HDR mode to render DV (which is also just a HDR mode)

LLDV means DV is processed by the source, so source send DV and display render it using its HDR mode (since it does NOT have any DV mode to start with !)

So source send LLDV and display renders HDR, all normal as i wrote many times already.

ps: this is the last time i accept to answer such message. i suggest you take care of how you write to us if you want any next answer to any questions.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
I suppose you would be happier if the HDfury device reported LLDV+HDR instead of just HDR. But everyone should already understand that if the HDfury gets LLDV input (tone mapped Dolby Vision), it will also be LLDV output. Just with some HDR10 metadata sprinkles added on top.

Reactions: mombasa123

·
Registered
335 Posts
I suppose you would be happier if the HDfury device reported LLDV+HDR instead of just HDR. But everyone should already understand that if the HDfury gets LLDV input (tone mapped Dolby Vision), it will also be LLDV output. Just with some HDR10 metadata sprinkles added on top.
Exactly! The point here is that some displays do not go into HDR mode if only Automix + DV Block is set. Need to send HDR as well to kick the TV into HDR mode. Your testing made that it very clear that this particular setting is inconsistent with the Ignore RX one and that was what I was trying to point out (before I saw your post).

@HDfury My post made it very clear that I only ticked the Custom HDR setting because the Q9FN would not go into HDR mode with the Automix + DV Block flag only. I do not want LLDV being converted to plain HDR is the point (unless I am misreading your statement). The Ignore RX setting keeps LLDV so I expected the Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV to do so as well.

Unless, you are saying that even though the OSD is saying HDR, it's actually LLDV that's being sent? In that case, I stand corrected but @claw post on the owners thread made it pretty clear that the LG was seeing HDR and not LLDV. But then we go back to why the Ignore RX setting is actually sending LLDV ........ Sigh.

Edit : Just re-read @claw reply above and I could be and am probably totally wrong here in which case I apologise. All I want to know is that does the combination of Automix/DV Block + Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV actually sends LLDV and is not overridden by plain old Custom HDR Metadata? Not bothered what the OSD says in that case.

Edit 2 : Spent 5 more minutes thinking about this and it's now clear that LLDV is being sent (thanks @claw for succinct summary). @HDfury I totally missed the point that you meant LLDV/HDR interchangeably. Thought you were saying HDR only gets sent. In my defence the Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 [ignore RX HDR] vs Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV OSD display totally threw/confused me. Apologies. I will correct my previous rant.

Thanks and sorry for previous tone but it had got v frustrating in a v late night.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Exactly! The point here is that some displays do not go into HDR mode if only Automix + DV Block is set. Need to send HDR as well to kick the TV into HDR mode. Your testing made that it very clear that this particular setting is inconsistent with the Ignore RX one and that was what I was trying to point out (before I saw your post).

@HDfury My post made it very clear that I only ticked the Custom HDR setting because the Q9FN would not go into HDR mode with the Automix + DV Block flag only. I do not want LLDV being converted to plain HDR is the point (unless I am misreading your statement). The Ignore RX setting keeps LLDV so I expected the Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV to do so as well.

Unless, you are saying that even though the OSD is saying HDR, it's actually LLDV that's being sent? In that case, I stand corrected but @claw post on the owners thread made it pretty clear that the LG was seeing HDR and not LLDV. But then we go back to why the Ignore RX setting is actually sending LLDV ........ Sigh.

Edit : Just re-read @claw reply above and I could be and am probably totally wrong here in which case I apologise. All I want to know is that does the combination of Automix/DV Block + Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV actually sends LLDV and is not overridden by plain old Custom HDR Metadata? Not bothered what the OSD says in that case.

Edit 2 : Spent 5 more minutes thinking about this and it's now clear that LLDV is being sent (thanks @claw for succinct summary). @HDfury I totally missed the point that you meant LLDV/HDR interchangeably. Thought you were saying HDR only gets sent. In my defence the Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 [ignore RX HDR] vs Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV OSD display totally threw/confused me. Apologies. I will correct my previous rant.

Thanks and sorry for previous tone but it had got v frustrating in a v late night.
The point here is that some displays do not go into HDR mode if only Automix + DV Block is set. Need to send HDR as well to kick the TV into HDR mode.

- No HDR10 TV will go into HDR picture mode with LLDV if you don't also send custom HDR. I thought I made that clear in my previous post. Pure LLDV does not contain any metadata of any kind. The TV needs to think the LLDV is HDR10 in order to switch to HDR picture mode.

My post made it very clear that I only ticked the Custom HDR setting because the Q9FN would not go into HDR mode with the Automix + DV Block flag only. I do not want LLDV being converted to plain HDR is the point (unless I am misreading your statement). The Ignore RX setting keeps LLDV so I expected the Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV to do so as well.

Unless, you are saying that even though the OSD is saying HDR, it's actually LLDV that's being sent?

Exactly, the Q9FN will not switch to HDR mode if it is sent a pure LLDV signal. The added HDR metadata to the LLDV signal is what gets the Q9 to switch to HDR picture mode. If you did not send custom HDR metadata with the LLDV signal the Q9 would switch to an SDR picture mode and the colors would all be wrong.

Yes, the actual content is tone mapped Dolby Vision to LLDV. Adding HDR10 metadata does not change that.

All I want to know is that does the combination of Automix/DV Block + Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV actually sends LLDV and is not overridden by plain old Custom HDR Metadata? Not bothered what the OSD says in that case.

It is LLDV with a layer of HDR10 metadata. Adding HDR10 metadata does not change the content at all. It is still LLDV. The HDfury devices have no ability to change the content from LLDV to something else.

Think of it this way... if you send SDR to the HDfury device and configure the HDfury to send custom HDR10 metadata, it doesn't magically turn the SDR content into HDR10. It is still SDR content but the TV will think it is HDR10 because of the metadata. The TV will switch to HDR picture mode but the colors will all be wrong because the content is SDR not HDR.

LLDV on the other hand follows the same PQ curve that HDR10 content does. So the picture displayed when the TV goes into HDR picture mode has correct color. That is what makes this all work. The ability of the HDfury devices to fool a player into sending LLDV output, and the HDfury devices ability to add HDR10 metadata so the HDR TV thinks it is receiving HDR and not LLDV. Without both being made possible by HDfury we would not be here today discussing this since the majority of HDR10 TVs would not be able to display LLDV input with correct color without HDR10 metadata being included.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The point here is that some displays do not go into HDR mode if only Automix + DV Block is set. Need to send HDR as well to kick the TV into HDR mode.

- No HDR10 TV will go into HDR picture mode with LLDV if you don't also send custom HDR. I thought I made that clear in my previous post. Pure LLDV does not contain any metadata of any kind. The TV needs to think the LLDV is HDR10 in order to switch to HDR picture mode.

My post made it very clear that I only ticked the Custom HDR setting because the Q9FN would not go into HDR mode with the Automix + DV Block flag only. I do not want LLDV being converted to plain HDR is the point (unless I am misreading your statement). The Ignore RX setting keeps LLDV so I expected the Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV to do so as well.

Unless, you are saying that even though the OSD is saying HDR, it's actually LLDV that's being sent?

Exactly, the Q9FN will not switch to HDR mode if it is sent a pure LLDV signal. The added HDR metadata to the LLDV signal is what gets the Q9 to switch to HDR picture mode. If you did not send custom HDR metadata with the LLDV signal the Q9 would switch to an SDR picture mode and the colors would all be wrong.

Yes, the actual content is tone mapped Dolby Vision to LLDV. Adding HDR10 metadata does not change that.

All I want to know is that does the combination of Automix/DV Block + Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV actually sends LLDV and is not overridden by plain old Custom HDR Metadata? Not bothered what the OSD says in that case.

It is LLDV with a layer of HDR10 metadata. Adding HDR10 metadata does not change the content at all. It is still LLDV. The HDfury devices have no ability to change the content from LLDV to something else.

Think of it this way... if you send SDR to the HDfury device and configure the HDfury to send custom HDR10 metadata, it doesn't magically turn the SDR content into HDR10. It is still SDR content but the TV will think it is HDR10 because of the metadata. The TV will switch to HDR picture mode but the colors will all be wrong because the content is SDR not HDR.

LLDV on the other hand follows the same PQ curve that HDR10 content does. So the picture displayed when the TV goes into HDR picture mode has correct color. That is what makes this all work. The ability of the HDfury devices to fool a player into sending LLDV output, and the HDfury devices ability to add HDR10 metadata so the HDR TV thinks it is receiving HDR and not LLDV. Without both being made possible by HDfury we would not be here today discussing this since the majority of HDR10 TVs would not be able to display LLDV input with correct color without HDR10 metadata being included.
Thank you! That makes it all very clear. A very useful post that may be worth pointing to as a sticky?

I did think about it after posting (at 4am) and came to the same conclusion in the end. Am very fresh at this and jumped the gun in haste - now I understand. Learning curve is steep.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just bought a HD Linker. Is there a tutorial for this type of Fury? Ive read a Lot of pages, the only information i got was from a vertex..

Or do al teh Fury,s work the same?
Excuus me for maybe a noob question..

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just bought a HD Linker. Is there a tutorial for this type of Fury? Ive read a Lot of pages, the only information i got was from a vertex..

Or do al teh Fury,s work the same?
Excuus me for maybe a noob question..
If you don't have a PJ with a dedicated HDR mode that you can force at will, then you will have to force HDR metadata injection when playing LLDV and stop HDR metadata injection when you stop playing LLDV. Make sure you understand that, only Vertex2/Diva/Maestro or Arcana can do this automatically.

All you have to do on Linker is to load a custom EDID that advertise LLDV/BT2020 support and then as i wrote above, force HDR metadata injection when playing LLDV and stop it manually when you stop playing LLDV.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for your answer! I forgot to mension that i have a x7500.

Sounds simple..
I will give it a try, if i need help, you will hear me again. Thanks again.

Gr Reza

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,434
Greeting sports fans...

With what we are learning about the new Sony projectors, my DV LLDV spider senses are tingling.

While X1U/X1 for Projectors HDR mapping has been criticized for not offering the level of dynamic tone mapping (DTM) of some out board solutions, we are hearing the dynamic HDR enhancer performance is very good as a 1000nit targeted tone mapping solution.

We, we all know a solid st2084 EOTF in the 1000nit range, is IDEAL for EDID spoofing DV LLDV profile layer support on the Sony x800m2, ATV4K60, etc.

Given this entire adventure was initiated by the collaboration of Dolby and Sony to support DV content playback on some Sony displays, I find it extremely interesting these new projectors are designed with HDR EOTF management built around 1000nit.

Very curious spider here...

What do we know about DV support on the pending Playstation 5?

·
Registered
119 Posts
All you have to do on Linker is to load a custom EDID that advertise LLDV/BT2020 support and then as i wrote above, force HDR metadata injection when playing LLDV and stop it manually when you stop playing LLDV.
Hi,

Noob here.
Where do i get these custom edits?

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Well there is article on HDfury that link to it but i think avsforum new style killed all links, they are also posted in this thread history to you can go that way too by using search feature.

Or i have a more funny way for you:

You go on HDfury.com > products, you select Vertex2 or Diva and you will have a link immediately right to the product picture that will bring you to an online webserver demo.
Click on it and wait till it loads, it can take time as we have put this on restricted bandwidth, once it have loaded, go in EDID TAB, select CUSTOM MODE then in INPUT 0 dropdown selector, select EDID 10
Then in the section called DOWNLOAD ACTIVE EDID TABLES, click RX0 EDID, it will prompt to save the .bin file, saved it somewhere and load it back in Linker.

Take the occasion to visit our new generation webserver and demo features and consider upgrading while you are at it ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well there is article on HDfury that link to it but i think avsforum new style killed all links, they are also posted in this thread history to you can go that way too by using search feature.

Or i have a more funny way for you:

You go on HDfury.com > products, you select Vertex2 or Diva and you will have a link immediately right to the product picture that will bring you to an online webserver demo.
Click on it and wait till it loads, it can take time as we have put this on restricted bandwidth, once it have loaded, go in EDID TAB, select CUSTOM MODE then in INPUT 0 dropdown selector, select EDID 10
Then in the section called DOWNLOAD ACTIVE EDID TABLES, click RX0 EDID, it will prompt to save the .bin file, saved it somewhere and load it back in Linker.

Take the occasion to visit our new generation webserver and demo features and consider upgrading while you are at it ;)
Hi at HDFury I just received my Diva and Arcana, Dolby Atmos is working beautifully but not sure if i am getting Dolby Vision from the Diva. I have a samsung Q80R and only have Apple TV connected. When i go to the IP address this is what I see; did i do something wrong?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Hi at HDFury I just received my Diva and Arcana, Dolby Atmos is working beautifully but not sure if i am getting Dolby Vision from the Diva. I have a samsung Q80R and only have Apple TV connected. When i go to the IP address this is what I see; did i do something wrong?
You are not getting any signal into or out of the Diva. If you send a screen shot do it while the Samsung is displaying a picture.

Same for exporting the config. Export while the Samsung is displaying a picture.

I assume you have ATV4K -> Diva -> Diva TX0 -> Arcana -> Samsung TV

2421 - 2440 of 2508 Posts