AVS Forum banner

481 - 500 of 2356 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
This is how I now process source content. Only Dolby Vision content on ATV4K as LLDV.

Netflix Dolby Vision: ATV4K LLDV.

Netflix HDR10: Not Applicable since all Netflix content on ATV4K is either Dolby Vision or SDR.

Netflix SDR: ATV4K SDR.

Amazon Video Dolby Vision: ATV4K LLDV.

Amazon Video HDR10: SDR BT2020 from Panasonic UB820.

Amazon Video SDR: ATV4K SDR.

Apple TV+ Dolby Vision: ATV4k LLDV.

Apple TV+ HDR10: ATV4K HDR10.

Apple TV+ SDR: ATV4K SDR.

UHD and HD Blu-Ray discs: PC based MadVR.

HBO, Starz, YouTube.tv SDR content: ATV4K SDR.

The LLDV hack has made my ATV4K usable again. I had pretty much stopped using it because of the variable metadata injected when Dolby Vision content was converted to HDR10.

So when Apple TV+ movie is HDR, does the setting match range force it to be “HDR” or does ATV force it to LLDV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,835 Posts
The LLDV hack has made my ATV4K usable again. I had pretty much stopped using it because of the variable metadata injected when Dolby Vision content was converted to HDR10.
Is it only a usability issue? Have you noticed differences in the actual picture quality that can be attributed to the ATV4K processing the variable metadata as LLDV?

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
So when Apple TV+ movie is HDR, does the setting match range force it to be “HDR” or does ATV force it to LLDV?
Match Range sends as encoded in HDR10.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
Is it only a usability issue? Have you noticed differences in the actual picture quality that can be attributed to the ATV4K processing the variable metadata as LLDV?
I never was impressed with the ATV4K conversion of Dolby Vision to HDR10. This way it stays as Dolby Vision LLDV.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
m

I should have said “Netflix on ATV4K sends everything as Dolby Vision”.
All Netfiix HDR content for the ATV4K is encoded as Dolby Vision. But for a display that does not support DV, the ATV4K will convert Dolby Vision to HDR10 and output HDR10.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
I watched Antman and the Wasp UHD last night. It is HDR10, but used the LLDV trick, and i have to say it looked awsome! All the scenes in the quantum realm was truly spectacular !!

I may not be as trained in spotting artifacts as some others in here, but i really like this trick, and i see no red tint as other have complained about.

Reactions: Bytehoven

·
Registered
8,835 Posts
I never was impressed with the ATV4K conversion of Dolby Vision to HDR10. This way it stays as Dolby Vision LLDV.
But the display itself (the JVC projector) is still HDR10, in spite of what the Vertex does.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I watched Antman and the Wasp UHD last night. It is HDR10, but used the LLDV trick, and i have to say it looked awsome! All the scenes in the quantum realm was truly spectacular !!

I may not be as trained in spotting artifacts as some others in here, but i really like this trick, and i see no red tint as other have complained about.
I’m with you. I’m no expert, but GotG 2 UHD (Oppo 203) HDR10 looked amazing converted to LLDV. Esp. the beginning fight scene; so many elements that really popped.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
But the display itself (the JVC projector) is still HDR10, in spite of what the Vertex does.
Of course. The JVC is getting LLDV (4K24 422 BT2020 12-bit DV). I use a custom Arve HDR10 curve to apply to the LLDV input signal. I don't have the HDfury send custom HDR metadata since that would trigger the horrible Gamma D and disable the Dynamic Iris.

Reactions: nathan_h and Nalleh

·
Registered
8,835 Posts
Of course. The JVC is getting LLDV (4K24 422 BT2020 12-bit DV). I use a custom Arve HDR10 curve to apply to the LLDV input signal. I don't have the HDfury send custom HDR metadata since that would trigger the horrible Gamma D and disable the Dynamic Iris.
I tried to do that but haven’t found a reliable way to play HDR10 (and DV) calibration patterns on the ATV4K. I don’t know if playing disc-based patterns on the UB820 will produce the same results.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Ok just trying to understand the procedure still. I understand I select a DV EDID capable TV (such as sony a1, lg c7 etc). This results in a resync with the projector and then when I select a movie and begin playing it switches the projector to HDR10 mode. Once in HDR mode I was told to go to the HDRDV page on the HDfury and select senď HDR. But when I do this I see nothing happening or any difference in the picture.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi all! After years of lurking around this forum, I've finally decided to join just to reply to this thread, so this is my first post :p
I have been following this thread for a while and even if I don't have a projector (I have a Q9FN TV), I am wondering if using LLDV would bring any improvement over standard HDR10 when viewing content on an HDR TV. Has anyone here tried this?
Also, do you think this would work just by using a Dr HDMI 4K? From my understanding this device also allows to "spoof" the EDID of the output device.

Thank you all :)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Hi all! After years of lurking around this forum, I've finally decided to join just to reply to this thread, so this is my first post :p
I have been following this thread for a while and even if I don't have a projector (I have a Q9FN TV), I am wondering if using LLDV would bring any improvement over standard HDR10 when viewing content on an HDR TV. Has anyone here tried this?
Also, do you think this would work just by using a Dr HDMI 4K? From my understanding this device also allows to "spoof" the EDID of the output device.

Thank you all :)
I stand to be corrected but I don't think you could force HDR on your TV so if you want to try this I think you're not only going to have to spoof the sink EDID to convince the source to output LLDV but you'll also have to send a custom HDR infoframe to get the TV to switch into HDR.

As far as I know the Dr HDMI 4K only allows you to spoof the sink EDID.

I think as a minimum you'll need either a Vertex or an Integral 2 both of which allow you to mess with both ends.

·
Registered
8,835 Posts
I stand to be corrected but I don't think you could force HDR on your TV so if you want to try this I think you're not only going to have to spoof the sink EDID to convince the source to output LLDV but you'll also have to send a custom HDR infoframe to get the TV to switch into HDR.
Does it mean LLDV does not send any infoframe to the TV; ie the TV has a fixed response to LLDV?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Does it mean LLDV does not send any infoframe to the TV; ie the TV has a fixed response to LLDV?
I believe that an LLDV capable TV does have a fixed response which is defined in the Dolby Block (telling the player what to do), but since we don't know the full spec of how this block is put together, it's an assumption.

Certainly if the TV doesn't support LLDV, it needs to be convinced to switch into its "HDR" mode, either manually or using a custom HDR10 infoframe.

·
Registered
24 Posts

As far as I know the Dr HDMI 4K only allows you to spoof the sink EDID.

I think as a minimum you'll need either a Vertex or an Integral 2 both of which allow you to mess with both ends.
That's a good point, I have overlooked that. If I recall correctly a part of this "trick" involves having the Vertex rewrite the LLDV info as HDR10, so there goes my hope of testing this with a cheap Dr HDMI :frown:

Still curious to know if someone here has tried this trick on a TV (especially one as bright as my Q9FN); from my understanding of LLDV, any improvement over regular HDR10 would come from a potentially better grading applied to the DV master, not from anything "dynamic" passing over from the regular DV. I'd love to test myself, but as I currently don't have other needs for it, buying even a standard Vertex for this only would be a bit overkill :D

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
That's a good point, I have overlooked that. If I recall correctly a part of this "trick" involves having the Vertex rewrite the LLDV info as HDR10, so there goes my hope of testing this with a cheap Dr HDMI :frown:

Still curious to know if someone here has tried this trick on a TV (especially one as bright as my Q9FN)
You have me curious now :)

I have a Sammy too - not an OLED, but I'll drag some kit out the cinema later and try this...

..from my understanding of LLDV, any improvement over regular HDR10 would come from a potentially better grading applied to the DV master, not from anything "dynamic" passing over from the regular DV...
That my friend is what I'd call hitting the nail right slap bang on the head :D

·
Registered
8,835 Posts
I believe that an LLDV capable TV does have a fixed response which is defined in the Dolby Block (telling the player what to do), but since we don't know the full spec of how this block is put together, it's an assumption.
That seems to be consistent with what I saw on the NX7 (no metadata received from LLDV sources).

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
If you have a display like a Samsung that does not support Dolby Vision or LLDV, and the display does not allow manual selection of an HDR10 picture mode, then you need to use an HDfury device that can send custom HDR10 metadata so that the display auto-selects its HDR10 picture mode.

If you have a display like a JVC projector that does not support Dolby Vision or LLDV, but does allow manual selection of an HDR picture mode, then you don't need to send custom HDR10 metadata if you are OK with manually selecting the picture mode. If your display is a JVC projector and you have a HDfury Diva or Maestro, then the latest firmware update adds a new LLDV JVC macro that you can configure to send an RS232 command to switch the JVC to your preferred custom user mode for LLDV.

If you have a display that does support LLDV such as 7-series or newer LG OLED or Sony DV TVs, then you do not want to have the HDfury device send custom HDR10 metadata. The TV will auto select its Dolby Vision picture mode when it sees an LLDV input signal.

I tested sending HDR10 metadata to my LG B7A OLED while sending LLDV. When the movie playback began it switched to and stayed in Dolby Vision picture mode, ignoring the HDR10 metadata.

Reactions: nathan_h
481 - 500 of 2356 Posts