AVS Forum banner

581 - 600 of 2390 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,811 Posts
I have not read all 500+ posts here, but came across the above and panicked a little.

I ordered a Vertex 2 with hope that it could fix some handshake issues and allow me to try DV content, but I am concerned about this comment about requiring passthrough mode in the Oppo. Does that mean Source Direct mode? In that case I will not be able to use the Oppo to do anamorphic 21:9 mode with DV content passed through from ATV4K, right?

Will my JVC rs540 projector's internal anamorphic scaling still work? It is limited to 4k30, so is there a way I can have the Vertex2 limit the ATV4K to 4k24 or 4k30, but not force one or the other?
If you play a Dolby Vision disc in the Oppo, zoom and most other picture controls are disabled. Doesn't matter if you output full DV or LLDV.

If you play an HDR10 disc, zoom and other picture controls are disabled if you have the Oppo set to force Dolby Vision, LLDV output included.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #582
Pretty sure the UB820 does have LLDV support for Dolby Vision content. It just does not have the capability to force Dolby Vision and thus LLDV from HDR10 or SDR sources.
I believe so. When I first tried DV (not LLDV) my screen would go "crazy" with weird colours, and it still does if I asked the Vertex to force DV. With EDID5 the UB820 indicates Dolby Vision and yet screen is not messed up.
Dave is saying the same.

I have noted the ub820 and x800m2 with DV content produce different results. The x800m2, like the ATV4K, preserves specular highlights, while the ub820 exhibits some highlight clipping. Following early advice regarding altering the display luminance adjust on the ub820, that had no effect at improving highlight performance of DV LLDV on the 820.

So while it may be DV LLDV profile 5 layer on the ub820, something different is happening.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
The ub820 does not have DV LLDV support. You can trick into outputting DV, but not with the profile 5 layer stream you can get from ATV4K, 203/205 and x800m2/1100es. That's one reason the ATV4K is better, as is the x800m2 bd player.
Yes, the M2 was better than the UB820 for this purpose for the reason you indicated (no LLDV profile 5 layer). However, as I mentioned earlier, I could only get two DV UHD Discs to look right, even with the M2. The other 10 or so discs I tried exhibited over-saturation/red tint.

Here are some examples--and please note that these are from the two UHD Discs that were actually acceptable with LLDV (Fallen Kingdom and Braveheart) . The ones with the info posted at the top of the image are from the UB820. All others are from the M2.

And, for whatever it's worth, this was before I switched from "Custom" to "Automix." Just for kicks, I just MIGHT pick up another M2 and give it another go with Automix. I just love to experiment ;):D

EDIT: just saw Claw's post and I take his comments as gospel so, therefore, the UB820 must be LLDV layer 5 capable. However, it must also be processing things differently somewhere else in the chain.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Dave is saying the same.

I have noted the ub820 and x800m2 with DV content produce different results. The x800m2, like the ATV4K, preserves specular highlights, while the ub820 exhibits some highlight clipping. Following early advice regarding altering the display luminance adjust on the ub820, that had no effect at improving highlight performance of DV LLDV on the 820.

So while it may be DV LLDV profile 5 layer on the ub820, something different is happening.
The UB820 is certainly behaving differently than the M2 and, especially, the ATV4k. The differences are not subtle at all. The pictures I just posted do not fully demonstrate the vast differences among the devices. I would entirely eliminate the UB820 from this experiment.

·
Premium Member
3,811 Posts
If the UB820 did not support LLDV, then Sony Dolby Vision TVs would be unable to get DV from discs played in the UB820.

Reactions: Bytehoven

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
The UB820 is certainly behaving differently than the M2 and, especially, the ATV4k. The differences are not subtle at all. The pictures I just posted do not fully demonstrate the vast differences among the devices. I would entirely eliminate the UB820 from this experiment.

I don't have the M2, but my comparisons show that the UB820 performs similarly to the ATV4K, as far as the red tint is concerned. Here are 4 shots from the Mission Impossible Fallout opening scene that summarize the comparison. They are played from the UHD disc and my ATV Library; I may add the Netflix ones for comparison, but expect them to behave similarly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I don't have the M2, but my comparisons show that the UB820 performs similarly to the ATV4K, as far as the red tint is concerned. Here are 4 shots from the Mission Impossible Fallout opening scene that summarize the comparison.
Clearly, something is amiss between our two systems. My ATV4K/Vertex2 does not exhibit any red tint as seen here

Attachments

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Clearly, something is amiss between our two systems. My ATV4K/Vertex2 does not exhibit any red tint as seen here
As I mentioned previously, it’s much easier to see the behavior when pictures are available in both HDR10 mode and the LLDV mode.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I don't have the M2, but my comparisons show that the UB820 performs similarly to the ATV4K, as far as the red tint is concerned. Here are 4 shots from the Mission Impossible Fallout opening scene that summarize the comparison.
Is Fallout on Netflix? I will check out how it looks on my system next time I fire it up.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
As I mentioned previously, it much easier to see the behavior when pictures are available in both HDR10 mode and the LLDV mode.
But that would mean that the ATV would have to do a DV to HDR 10 conversion.

EDIT: While it is definitely "easier" to see when you have both modes side by side, it would only be appropriate if there is both a HDR 10 source and a DV source available (such as UHD Discs with both HDR10 and DV layers). That said, insofar as the ATV4K is concerned, and while I admit pictures are never good enough to illustrate what is actually viewed in person, when you compare the pictures you posted earlier (Stranger Things) to those that I posted of the same program, it is very easy to see that mine are not affected by red tint.

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
But that would mean that the ATV would have to do a DV to HDR 10 conversion.

EDIT: While it is definitely "easier" to see when you have both modes side by side, it would only be appropriate if there is both a HDR 10 source and a DV source available (such as UHD Discs with both HDR10 and DV layers).
That’s precisely why this time I used the UHD disc as the basis of comparison. It contains both DV and HDR10. By comparing the ATV DV and ATV HDR against the UB counterparts, I’ve concluded that comparisons based on ATV are generally valid, even if I do not know what conversions they may have undergone.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Hope you guys are having a great Christmas!!!. Had the chance to check out a couple more DV Sources on Netfllix (Maleficent and The Irishman) via the ATV4K, and took a few pictures. Wish I had a better camera as my iphone does not truly capture just how great it looks in person.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Bet you get it in closer to 3 days than 3 weeks.

If your AVR supports 4K, HDR10, and Dolby Vision pass though I would connect everything to the AVR and then the Vertex2 to the AVR output.

If your AVR is a problem, then I would connect the ATV4K directly to the Vertex2. It has 4 inputs, two 4K video outputs, and 1 audio-only HDMI output. That way you can get ATV4K Atmos to your AVR. The Oppo won't accept the Dolby Mat 2.0 Atmos that Apple uses if you connect the ATV4K to the Oppo HDMI input.
Claw quick question.. I have 2 projectors in my room my jvc 640 and an optoma 1080p. I have the roku going through the oppo which lets me stream 4k to the 1080p projector because the oppo downscales it and preserves some of the properties of the 4k stream and it looks awesome.. Way better than streaming 1080p to the 1080p optoma.. This is the projector we use whenever i dont feel like adding hours to the jvc... My quesion is, is there a way of doing this with the vertex? Can the vertex downstream and save some of the properties of the 4k stream?

·
Premium Member
3,811 Posts
Claw quick question.. I have 2 projectors in my room my jvc 640 and an optoma 1080p. I have the roku going through the oppo which lets me stream 4k to the 1080p projector because the oppo downscales it and preserves some of the properties of the 4k stream and it looks awesome.. Way better than streaming 1080p to the 1080p optoma.. This is the projector we use whenever i dont feel like adding hours to the jvc... My quesion is, is there a way of doing this with the vertex? Can the vertex downstream and save some of the properties of the 4k stream?
Yes, the Vertex can down scale the top HDMI output from 4K to 1080P. But it can't convert the HDR to SDR so if you play any 4K HDR content the down scaled 1080P picture won't have the proper colors. The Oppo takes care of that for you as it converts 4KHDR to 1080P SDR.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yes, the Vertex can down scale the top HDMI output from 4K to 1080P. But it can't convert the HDR to SDR so if you play any 4K HDR content the down scaled 1080P picture won't have the proper colors. The Oppo takes care of that for you as it converts 4KHDR to 1080P SDR.
Got it. Okay then in my case I would want to run the Apple TV through the Oppo so that I could convert 4K HDR to 1080p SDR. But how do you get Dolby Atmos out I believe Oppo cant do Dolby Atmos with Apple TV?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Got it. Okay then in my case I would want to run the Apple TV through the Oppo so that I could convert 4K HDR to 1080p SDR. But how do you get Dolby Atmos out I believe Oppo cant do Dolby Atmos with Apple TV?
The ATV should automatically switch to 1080p SDR when connected to to your Optoma 1080p, as long as you don’t spoof the EDID.

I’m not sure what you mean by “downstream and save some of the properties of the 4k stream?”

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The ATV should automatically switch to 1080p SDR when connected to to your Optoma 1080p, as long as you don’t spoof the EDID.

I’m not sure what you mean by “downstream and save some of the properties of the 4k stream?”
Hi im not as technical as you guys let me try again.. With my current set up the roku goes through the oppo and I have two projectors connected to my avr, one is the rs640 and the other is a 1080p projector.. When i use the 1080p projector the oppo gets the 4k signal and downscales it to 1080p 422 12bit instead of 444 8bit... 4k downscaled to 1080 422 12bit looks way better and its what i want for my second projector.

Will the vertex2 be able to do this? I'll be switching to the aptv next week unless i go to vacation.. One of you guys said a few pages back the oppo cant do atmos with apple so whats the work around for this? I just got atmos and its freaking cool..

·
Premium Member
3,811 Posts
Hi im not as technical as you guys let me try again.. With my current set up the roku goes through the oppo and I have two projectors connected to my avr, one is the rs640 and the other is a 1080p projector.. When i use the 1080p projector the oppo gets the 4k signal and downscales it to 1080p 422 12bit instead of 444 8bit... 4k downscaled to 1080 422 12bit looks way better and its what i want for my second projector.

Will the vertex2 be able to do this? I'll be switching to the aptv next week unless i go to vacation.. One of you guys said a few pages back the oppo cant do atmos with apple so whats the work around for this? I just got atmos and its freaking cool..
As I mentioned earlier, the Vertex2 can downscale 4K output to the 1080P projector and send 4K output to the JVC. The problem is HDR content.

The Vertex2 can't convert HDR to SDR like the Oppo can for the 1080P projector.

The HDfury Diva can convert 4K HDR to 1080P SDR but the quality is not as good as what the Oppo can do. I can't recommend it over the Oppo conversion.

I can't think of a good solution for ATV4K ATMOS that keeps the Oppo in the loop for down scaling when you have two display devices.

Reactions: jorgebetancourt

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Hooked up the newly delivered Vertex 2 today. I admittedly don't understand the configuration, but I did manage to get DV enabled on my ATV4k through Oppo203 to JVC rs540. Have not tried a disc directly in the Oppo yet, still on first film from Disney+ on the ATV. It is being recognized as SDR so I had to manually switch to HDR profile, but I think that is expected based on the inclusion of a new LLDV macro option in the latest firmware.

When I first added in the Vertex all my HDCP synch issues went away immediately, but that was a fluke as somehow I managed to disable the match frame rate and match color space setting in the ATV4k and everything was staying at 4k60 no matter the source, so it never had to synch again. Sadly when I passed the LG LLDV EDID and the ATV prompted trying out Dolby Vision, the screen went black again and stayed that way until I toggled inputs, so I do still have something to work out there.

What else do I need to do to get HDR flags sent with DV content? I don't want to have it on all the time if not appropriate.

581 - 600 of 2390 Posts