AVS Forum banner

701 - 720 of 2390 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Just watched Gemeni Man, boy was that a bad movie.. BUT I've never seen crap look this good before that's for sure.. This takes clarity to a whole new level..

I still can't believe what this hack does i saved thousands of dollars by not upgrading..

·
Registered
8,871 Posts
When using the Vertex it shows the output at 12bit DV in a BT2020 container. I take that to mean yes.
I did some comparisons using a Sony X700 and found the "fake HDR” converted from SDR does add noticeable punch without clipping the highlights too much or looking too harsh.

The three attached images are:
1. Original SDR Blu-Ray
2. SDR Blu-Ray converted to DV
3. UHD

The clip is taken from the movie Darkest Hour.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I did some comparisons using a Sony X700 and found the "fake HDR” converted from SDR does add noticeable contrast without clipping the highlights too much.

The three attached images are:
1. Original SDR Blu-Ray
2. SDR Blu-Ray converted to DV
3. UHD

The clip is taken from the movie Darkest Hour.
When I had the 800M2, I had limited success (red tint/over-saturation) with UHD discs so I didn't focus on testing SDR Blu-rays. It's interesting that the SDR Blu ray you tried seems to have benefited from the conversion. In your testing, did you use your custom color profile or the regular BT2020? Did you conduct this test on your NX7 or your "other" JVC? Did you create a "special" custom gamma for testing SDR Blu ray?

·
Registered
8,871 Posts
When I had the 800M2, I had limited success (red tint/over-saturation) with UHD discs so I didn't focus on testing SDR Blu-rays. It's interesting that the SDR Blu ray you tried seems to have benefited from the conversion. In your testing, did you use your custom color profile or the regular BT2020? Did you conduct this test on your NX7 or your "other" JVC? Did you create a "special" custom gamma for testing SDR Blu ray?
That particular converted SDR shot was taken on the NX7 with the BT.2020 profile, hence the slightly reddish tint. I just picked up the X700 yesterday and haven’t experimented with different curves. The upscaling, colour space conversion and gamma conversion all seem to work well but I miss the subtitle shift option which I believe the X800M2 has.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Quick question on A4KTV.

After watching the cable box for a couple of days , when i switch to the A4KTV by selecting input 2 on HDFury nothing shows up, like the A4KTV has gone into standby mode or something. How do you turn it on?

·
Registered
8,871 Posts
Quick question on A4KTV.

After watching the cable box for a couple of days , when i switch to the A4KTV by selecting input 2 on HDFury nothing shows up, like the A4KTV has gone into standby mode or something. How do you turn it on?
Press the Menu button.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Press the Menu button.

Sometimes that doesn’t work. I am having probably 25% failure of full boot up with ATV and vertex 2. Even when I hit menu I see the ATV4k accepts the command but nothing. I have to unplug either the vertex or ATV and it comes back. It’s weird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,871 Posts
Sometimes that doesn’t work. I am having probably 25% failure of full boot up with ATV and vertex 2. Even when I hit menu I see the ATV4k accepts the command but nothing. I have to unplug either the vertex or ATV and it comes back. It’s weird
I've seen that only when there's an HDFury device in the signal path. Haven't seen it without the HDFury device (not to say it won't happen).

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've seen that only when there's an HDFury device in the signal path. Haven't seen it without the HDFury device (not to say it won't happen).

Agree. Sorry meant to clarify that. Likely a timing and sync issue. I wonder if I can solve that with my harmony remote power timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
It was created by Dolby Labs at the request of Sony since Sony's TVs did not have the horsepower to process a Dolby Vision signal. LOL.

Sony TVs with their "Extreme" processor were unable to unwrap the DV content from the RGB container, and perform tone mapping using the scene by scene metadata.
Was it really due to lack of horsepower? Maybe it was more that Dolby used a proprietary and hard coded way to unwrap the RGB container in their ICs and the X1 simply could not replicate it as designed.

Also LLDV allowed older TVs that otherwise would never have got DV support to get it. ;):cool:

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
To be honest, I've found the whole 4K HDR era an utter nightmare, compared to the 1080p era. Even when we have the early competing HDDVD and blu ray, that didn't last and sorted out. This era just seems to be getting less and less standardized. Aside from all the ridiculous complexity of HDMI handshaking with hdcp 2.2 resulting in issues with so much hardware, we have tools like dolby deliberately doing stuff like this - to what end? Why? Punish people with display devices costing over $10k? I wish HDR10+ was available day one, and we just had a fight between the free HDR10+ and the paid Dolby Vision. Why aren't they striving to make the viewing experience the best possible rather than the mess it is. DTM should be built into every TV for non dynamic HDR formats, and like this LLDV hack in players, if there is dynamic hdr metadata like dv and hdr10+, get players to have to handle it - and do something simple like Panasonic do where you can enter the approximate lumens of the display. Or better yet, get display deice makers to start shipping their damn units with a light sensor for calibration, like every AVR does with a calibration mike and room correction. It is a joke. And it doesn't seem to be getting any better. If anything with this additional fragmentation with streaming it gets worse and worse. And to think some people think that spending $5k to $10k (where I live) plus a hell of a lot of configuration for a lumagen radiance pro to try sort out this mess is a joke. This HDFury solution sounds way cheaper in comparison, with complications, but the fact is none of us should be having to do this. The manufacturers are just letting us down at every single point.
My guess is that you can sell more displays if you can control incremental improvements and artificially drive the upgrade route by not making everything optimal straight away.

Also every manufacturer thinks they have the best way of producing the end image we see on screen. :rolleyes:;):)

·
Registered
8,871 Posts
Also LLDV allowed older TVs that otherwise would never have got DV support to get it. ;):cool:
That was never Dolby’s intent. HD Fury devices can fool the display to send LLDV, but the non-DolbyVision display downstream does not have the proper colour space to properly handle it.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
That was never Dolby’s intent. HD Fury devices can fool the display to send LLDV, but the non-DolbyVision display downstream does not have the proper colour space to properly handle it.
I meant slightly older Sony TV's with circuit boards that didn't feature Dolby IC's, hence Sony and Dolby's collaboration.

And yes, it might not have been their intention, but I love how this hobby can bring out the ingenuity in people. :cool:

·
Registered
334 Posts
So I read all the thread... and I still have a question.

I'm hoping to give this a go, mostly for Apple TV stuff with a JVC X7000. I'm currently using SDR as HDR is often very dark, only need it for streaming, movies are played through MadVR b113 DTM, very nicely.

I have a Vertex but my AVR doesn't pass DV (Yamaha 3050) but I'm wondering if this spoofed LLDV is really DV any more? It must be some sort of standard format for a non DV display to be able to display it?

Has anyone got this working through a non DV pass though AVR? I'll try it of course and if it doesn't work it should be possible to use the vertex to connect directly and strip audio for the AVR.

·
Premium Member
3,811 Posts
So I read all the thread... and I still have a question.

I'm hoping to give this a go, mostly for Apple TV stuff with a JVC X7000. I'm currently using SDR as HDR is often very dark, only need it for streaming, movies are played through MadVR b113 DTM, very nicely.

I have a Vertex but my AVR doesn't pass DV (Yamaha 3050) but I'm wondering if this spoofed LLDV is really DV any more? It must be some sort of standard format for a non DV display to be able to display it?

Has anyone got this working through a non DV pass though AVR? I'll try it of course and if it doesn't work it should be possible to use the vertex to connect directly and strip audio for the AVR.
In one of the HDfury device threads we determined why some owners were able to get their AVR that supports DV pass through to display the volume overlay when sending LLDV to it. It is some kind of Dolby Labs restriction that AVRs are not permitted to perform, much like players are forced to disable picture controls. If you also include custom HDR10 metadata with the LLDV output, the AVR no longer recognized it as Dolby Vision and allowed the OSD overlay. No guarantee that this would also enable a non-DV AVR to pass LLDV but it might.

A Vertex2 would allow you to send audio to your AVR from its audio only HDMI output. You might be able to get a Vertex to work with audio by down scaling the video to the AVR such that it destroys the Dolby Vision. It can't strip the Dolby Vision.

Yes, this LLDV workaround is real Dolby Vision. Exactly the same LLDV signal format that is sent to Sony Dolby Vision TVs.

Note: The custom HDR metadata would force your X7000 to use Gamma D. You can't send HDR metadata and set the Disable HDR checkbox to prevent the Gamma D switch. So you might be worse off.

·
Registered
334 Posts
In one of the HDfury device threads we determined why some owners were able to get their AVR that supports DV pass through to display the volume overlay when sending LLDV to it. It is some kind of Dolby Labs restriction that AVRs are not permitted to perform, much like players are forced to disable picture controls. If you also include custom HDR10 metadata with the LLDV output, the AVR no longer recognized it as Dolby Vision and allowed the OSD overlay. No guarantee that this would also enable a non-DV AVR to pass LLDV but it might.

Yes, this LLDV workaround is real Dolby Vision. Exactly the same LLDV signal format that is sent to Sony Dolby Vision TVs.
Interesting, thanks for that, I think I need a Vertex 2 or Diva to do custom HDR metadata but I'm pretty sure I end up with one sooner or later.

I need to make some time to try this out.

·
Premium Member
3,811 Posts
Interesting, thanks for that, I think I need a Vertex 2 or Diva to do custom HDR metadata but I'm pretty sure I end up with one sooner or later.

I need to make some time to try this out.
As I noted in my post update, the original Vertex can send custom HDR10 custom metadata but your X7000 would switch to Gamma D.

If you connect the Vertex Top HDMI output to your AVR and set down scaling to a 1080P 8-bit signal the AVR might be able to process the audio. I recall doing this before my old Denon X4200W AVR received the firmware update to support Dolby Vision pass through. I had to experiment with various down scaled formats to find one that destroyed the Dolby Vision but allowed the audio through.

·
Registered
334 Posts
As I noted in my post update, the original Vertex can send custom HDR10 custom metadata but your X7000 would switch to Gamma D.

If you connect the Vertex Top HDMI output to your AVR and set down scaling to a 1080P 8-bit signal the AVR might be able to process the audio. I recall doing this before my old Denon X4200W AVR received the firmware update to support Dolby Vision pass through. I had to experiment with various down scaled formats to find one that destroyed the Dolby Vision but allowed the audio through.
Correction, I should have said "I think I need a vertex 2 to do HDR metadata properly" ;-)
I've been wanting HDFury to tweak the masking feature for me, they said yes but Vertex 2, so maybe I will now have two excuses to upgrade.

Sounds like it's worth a few hours play, I did read all of your post, thanks, it's much appreciated. I'm pretty happy how to try this and the overlay tweak might be important as I'm about to move the AVR & all that to a separate room.

701 - 720 of 2390 Posts