AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 2444 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
I don’t understand this. If the player does not “do” LLDV and simply passes it through to the downstream devices (which also don’t do LLDV), then who is doing the required scene-by-scene processing?
The Dolby Vision TV does if the player cannot output LLDV.

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
I have been watching the new Apple TV+ shows from my ATV4K with the LG C8 LLDV EDID configured in my Diva or Vertex. I loaded the EDID to the Vertex as it is not a predefined EDID.

The Morning Show and Dickenson shows are both 4K60 Dolby Vision. They look pretty incredible when sending LLDV to my JVC RS500 with custom Arve HDR curve.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I have been watching the new Apple TV+ shows from my ATV4K with the LG C8 LLDV EDID configured in my Diva or Vertex. I loaded the EDID to the Vertex as it is not a predefined EDID.

The Morning Show and Dickenson shows are both 4K60 Dolby Vision. They look pretty incredible when sending LLDV to my JVC RS500 with custom Arve HDR curve.
Welcome to the DARK SIDE. :devil:

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
The Dolby Vision TV does if the player cannot output LLDV.
I understand that, but in the context of the discussion my understanding is that neither the player nor the display (projector) can do that, only the vertex was sending a spoofed EDID.

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
After doing a factory reset, I uploaded the LG C8 EDID into the custom memory. That was basically all.
I also tried the Sony A1 custom EDID, which I exported from the Integral 2. That also worked.

But my Linker never functioned stable. After a few HDMI handshakes, I have to reset it. So if I decide, I want to have LLDV, I have to use another HDfury.
I'm still not quite sure, how to integrate this into my setup. Although using the HDR10 static preset on my NX9 and selecting it manually may work, Frame Adapt or the Radiance DTM would be my favourite way. But for that I would need the HDR flag. Surely, I can force it via HDfury. But then it will always be sent. I think an option like 'Use custom HDR ... when input is LLDV' on the newer HDfurys would be useful for this.
I expect that if you want your JVC to automatically recognize the LLDV as HDR, you would likely have to inject custom HDR metadata with the HDfury device.

But the JVC DTM when in Auto will choose Low, Medium, or High based on the HDR metadata values I believe. Since you are hard coding the metadata values in the HDfury, the JVC DTM will always use the same setting based on that metadata you inject.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts

So the only thing I need for my RS520 is a Vertex (or later) and load the LG C8 EDID?

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
I understand that, but in the context of the discussion my understanding is that neither the player nor the display (projector) can do that, only the vertex was sending a spoofed EDID.
Correct. The HDfury EDID just tells the player that it is connected to either a Sony TV that only supports LLDV, or an LG TV that prefers to receive LLDV instead of full Dolby Vision.

The HDfury can't make a player output LLDV if it is incapable of doing so without an HDfury device when connected to a Sony TV. Players that support LLDV output recognize when they are connected to a Sony TV and automatically send LLDV.

So you must use one of the players that already support LLDV output to either Sony or LG TVs, and use the HDfury to convince the player that is is indeed connected to an LLDV required TV.

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
So the only thing I need for my RS520 is a Vertex (or later) and load the LG C8 EDID?
Yes either the LG LLDV EDID or the Sony LLDV EDID. And of course that you use a player that is capable of sending LLDV.

If you don't inject HDR metadata you would need to manually select an HDR10 picture mode in your RS520.

I don't inject metadata for my RS500 since it would switch to the broken Gamma D and disable the Dynamic Iris. I don't know if the RS520 does the same.

I asked HDfury if they could add a new JVC Macro that would be triggered on LLDV input. That way I could have the HDfury device send the RS-232 command to select my preferred custom curve. If others do the same, they might add the macro in the Vertex2, Diva, and Maestro.

The issue is that the HDfury devices don't allow you to both inject HDR metadata and mark the Disable HDR checkbox. That checkbox is what keeps the JVC from switching to the internal HDR gamma and disabling the DI.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Yes either the LG LLDV EDID or the Sony LLDV EDID. And of course that you use a player that is capable of sending LLDV.
My players are the ATV4K and the UB820. So the Integral2 seems to be the cheapest way, if I don’t worry about future expandability?

If you don't inject HDR metadata you would need to manually select an HDR10 picture mode in your RS520.

I don't inject metadata for my RS500 since it would switch to the broken Gamma D and disable the Dynamic Iris. I don't know if the RS520 does the same.
The RS520 switches to the HDR Picture Mode instead of just switching the gamma.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
My players are the ATV4K and the UB820. So the Integral2 seems to be the cheapest way, if I don’t worry about future expandability?

The RS520 switches to the HDR Picture Mode instead of just switching the gamma.
I tried the Sony LLDV with the ub820, and I noted some issues. It only works with DV content, but even then, the content I checked so far suffers from some highlight crush, that the Sony x800m2 does not. Highlight crush which can not be adjusted on the ub820 because picture controls are disabled, and master contrast on the x990 did not restore some of the crush.

Vertex and Integral 2 are basically the same, and limited. If buying used, maybe a good deal at a good proce. If buying new, the Vertex2 is the recommended choice to to future proof any new features HDFury may bring.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
New Test...

SDR 1080p content playback ... SW: The Force Awakens SDR 1080P BD

ub820 4K Scaling (2.4 Gamma)
Sony x800m2 4K Scaling Auto 2 - SDR rec709 (2.4 Gamma)
Sony x800m2 4K Scaling Auto 2 - DV LLDV Hack (Chad Curve)

UB820 was as expected, beautiful image we all experience.

x800m2 in 4K SDR rec709, indistinguishable from ub820. Did not micro examine the scaling quality, but nothing jumped out from normal viewing, and reviews report the scaling is pretty good. Down side, you have to turn DV off.

x800m2 DV LLDV hack ... If you leave DV enabled, the DV LLDV hack will force a DV conversion. While it was only one title, I have to say the DV conversion looked good. Color seemed right (maybe a click or two more color saturation). I was checking highlights in the 1st few chapters, and they looked better than on the ub820 or x800m2 in SDR mode. For instance, in the opening chapters, the specular highlights in the Storm Troop armor and the beams of sunlight shining down when we see Rey inside the derelict ship... there were differences that added some dimension to the white highlights. I will check some other titles, but this looked great.

Edit... Nix that... The more I have checked, the DV conversion of the SDR source is doing bad things in other areas, so probably not a benefit.

Never Mind. :)

Edit... tried one more time with a 1080 BD of Alita thru the LLDV spin cycle, and the DV conversion was pretty bad.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
I tried the Sony LLDV with the ub820, and I noted some issues. It only works with DV content, but even then, the content I checked so far suffers from some highlight crush, that the Sony x800m2 does not. Highlight crush which can not be adjusted on the ub820 because picture controls are disabled, and master contrast on the x990 did not restore some of the crush.

Vertex and Integral 2 are basically the same, and limited. If buying used, maybe a good deal at a good proce. If buying new, the Vertex2 is the recommended choice to to future proof any new features HDFury may bring.
Thanks. I actually use the ATV4K much more than the UB820.

No one seems to be selling a used Vertex at the moment, unfortunately.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I expect that if you want your JVC to automatically recognize the LLDV as HDR, you would likely have to inject custom HDR metadata with the HDfury device.

But the JVC DTM when in Auto will choose Low, Medium, or High based on the HDR metadata values I believe. Since you are hard coding the metadata values in the HDfury, the JVC DTM will always use the same setting based on that metadata you inject.

I am looking at all my available options at the moment (static HDR10, Frame Adapt, Radiance DTM). If I decide that LLDV is worth using it, I am sure that in the end it will be LLDV plus Radiance DTM. ;)
Metadata will be an issue for Frame Adapt. For Radiance DTM, I will chose values for MaxCLL/MaxFALL that are completely fake. Then the Radiance will ignore them. For MinY/MaxY, I have to chose something usefull.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Thanks. I actually use the ATV4K much more than the UB820.

No one seems to be selling a used Vertex at the moment, unfortunately.
Some are thinking about upgrading to the the vertex2, so you might see some popping up.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Movie night was The Equalizer 2 HDR4k (LLDV) and the experience was fantastic.
'Angels and Deamons' UHD LLDV here. ;)
I wanted to verify that the X800M2 limits MaxY and let the Radiance analyze it. While I saw scenes that had about 1700 Nits with classic HDR10, they ended up at maximum 1043 Nits with LLDV. So yes, LLDV maps the original MaxY to something lower.

Some scenes with flashing etc. seemed a bit muted or more SDR-like.

Reactions: Bytehoven

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
How To:

This section will be updated to include new info as it becomes available.

To See Info reported by players:

Menu - Screen Shots:

(See Thumbnails at bottom)
Very interesting. What thread are those quotes from ?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Just uploaded the LGC8 LLDV -edid to HDFury Linker and got it working with Apple TV 4K :) I am using one of my custom Arve curves with JVC RS500 and picture looks great and natural with no changes to color.

Didn't have time to compare with non dv settings yet. Also have to try UB420 with DV disc later.

Lähetetty minun MRD-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

·
Registered
505 Posts
The issue is that the HDfury devices don't allow you to both inject HDR metadata and mark the Disable HDR checkbox.
There is no issue. You either send the metadata, or don't send it. You can't do both at the same time

Lähetetty minun MRD-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
There is no issue. You either send the metadata, or don't send it. You can't do both at the same time
I know that. What I was saying is that I wish it was possible. This is specific to JVC projectors where we use the Disable HDR checkbox so that the JVC does not use its broken internal HDR Gamma curve, and does not disable the Dynamic Iris.

The "issue" I was speaking of is the inability to use the JVC Macros to send the RS232 command to my JVC to switch my preferred picture mode for HDR10 when sending LLDV.

81 - 100 of 2444 Posts