AVS Forum banner
1841 - 1860 of 3354 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hi,

After making some research in internet, I just figure out found information about ICtCp. As I know Dolby Vision in Netflix is usint ICtCp, Apple TV 4K listing in it's spec it support Dolby Vision (profile 5).

The question is there no current player (including Apple TV, Oppo, Panasonic elc) have ICtCp format output, all they have only RGB or YCbCr. So IF there is any conversion work on ICtCp to YCbCr, it it NOT related to/caused by HDFury. So how Netflix Apps in Apple TV or in other player convert ICtCp to YCbCr.....I don't know.

And I don't even know which TV brand support ICtCp signal input currently.

One more thing is ........ ICtCp is NOT UHD Bly-ray Standard, it still store as YCbCr even-though ICtCp is more advantage on HDR Wide Color Gamut.

The output to the display is converted to standard color space which the display can accept. See the White Paper:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-vision/dolby-vision-white-paper.pdf

Dominic

Thanks for your information.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Guessing it's not a simple as that, since I get this warning.
EDID file must be with .BIN file extension to be accepted, if you try to upload .ZIP file extension, you will have such issue, just UNZIP (usually right click on the ZIP file icon, and select extract or uncompress)

The issue can also be related to GUI being idle for too long and would need to be closed/restarted or wrong USB port used or to wrong driver because there is no Vertex FW version reported on your GUI screenshot and some strange characters.
If you have WIN10, you don't need to install any driver, just connect unit to WIN10 computer and let Windows install driver from internet, and then you can proceed normally with 3.9.2 directory. However, if you manually installed 4.0.0 prior to connecting, then just use 4.0.0 directory, both drivers work on WIN10.

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
So I’ve hit exactly the same issue (using my existing HDR10 curve/picture mode causes red tint). What exactly does Mark’s EDID do to solve the issue? Will using that mess with my existing HDR10 color calibrations for my non DV viewing?
Mark’s EDID “tells” the Dolby Vision Display Manager to convert the video signal to the BT.2020 colour space, which matches your projector since it uses BT.2020 colour profile for HDR10. The Sony A1 EDID tells it to convert the video signal to P3 colour space and you will need to use a P3 colour profile.

In both cases the DV string in the EDID affects only DV, and has no effect on HDR10.

·
Registered
13,778 Posts

Finally got a stable version of Windows7 running, again, that would recognize USB devices.

Selected CUSTOM Select on the EDID Manager screen.

Chose 10 for PORT 0.

Clicked on Load from File.

Found the BIN file called Full + BT.2020 LLDV.bin and selected it.

The interface indicated it was loaded.

Then I cliked "Upload EDID" which I think should put it into the Vertex.

But the name of EDID 10 didn't change. Is that okay?

Attachments

·
Registered
13,778 Posts

Then I made sure on the Macros screen, in the Macro AUTO tab, that Content that is SDR BT2020 calls the user 2 picture mode on the JVC RS500, which is my custom HDR curve I want to use.

Not sure if there are any other steps. Look right?

(I know I can pop it into my projector path and test but that involves lots of gyrations and an additional power cycle so I'd like to make sure everything looks good before doing that.)

Attachments

·
Registered
13,778 Posts
I realized I could plug my Vertex in line between a different Apple TV 4K and my old OLED and then and see what it does.

The Apple TV asked me if I wanted to test whether my display was Dolby Vision compatible and I said yes.

And it came back a screen message on my TV saying it could handle Dolby Vision. Which is great.

And the actual image on the Apple TV was very washed out which is the correct kind of image to see when the vertex has stripped the meta data but the signal is hdr.

So I know that half of this situation is working fine in terms of triggering Dolby Vision and outputting the signal without HDR flags.

So now the question is whether I am confident enough it will behave the same with the projector that I put it back in there and cross my fingers that the automation to change display mode on the projector also works correctly.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Finally got a stable version of Windows7 running, again, that would recognize USB devices.

Selected CUSTOM Select on the EDID Manager screen.

Chose 10 for PORT 0.

Clicked on Load from File.

Found the BIN file called Full + BT.2020 LLDV.bin and selected it.

The interface indicated it was loaded.

Then I cliked "Upload EDID" which I think should put it into the Vertex.

But the name of EDID 10 didn't change. Is that okay?
Yes EDID name won't change, however, you should first UPDATE MCU and FPGA because your current FW is way too old ! once done, reupload edid as you did.

Looks like the automation still works for sdr and hdr10. But Dolby vision does not trigger the change but manually selecting my hdr custom gamma makes the Dolby vision content looks correct.

What do I need to do to get the automation working for lldv content?
I think Claw told you exactly what need to be done on previous page, if you followed that and it is not working, please re test after having done the update to latest firmware.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Then I made sure on the Macros screen, in the Macro AUTO tab, that Content that is SDR BT2020 calls the user 2 picture mode on the JVC RS500, which is my custom HDR curve I want to use.

Not sure if there are any other steps. Look right?

(I know I can pop it into my projector path and test but that involves lots of gyrations and an additional power cycle so I'd like to make sure everything looks good before doing that.)
Make sure you have clicked "SEND ALL CHANGES"

·
Registered
13,778 Posts
Yes EDID name won't change, however, you should first UPDATE MCU and FPGA because your current FW is way too old ! once done, reupload edid as you did.
Will do. I assume the ones on the product page are the most recent.

I think Claw told you exactly what need to be done on previous page, if you followed that and it is not working, please re test after having done the update to latest firmware.
Yes, he wrote:

Set SDR-BT0220 macro to your HDR10 user mode. When the Vertex sees LLDV it will send the command to switch to your HDR10 user mode.

Set both the HDR10 and HDR10-Opt macros to your HDR10 user mode. When the Vertex sees HDR10 it will also switch to your HDR10 user mode.
And I *think* I did that. You can see they all invoke User 2 on the projector.

Make sure you have clicked "SEND ALL CHANGES"
But I am sure I didn't cilck on this button.

So maybe this button or the outdated firmware are my problem.

Guess I should screen shot everything since HDR10 is still working fine, and updating the firmware may wipe all my settings....

——

And I will say that the fact that was on such an old firmware is a testament to how stable and reliable the device has been. I use it all the time and haven’t needed to update in a couple of years!

·
Registered
13,778 Posts
That seems to have solved it. Thanks!

Switching is back to automatic and Dolby vision content is now passing through.

One strange thing: while all video content looks good the menus in the atv4k in sdr have a kind of gritty jittery shimmering to them. And I get a pause or reset rrsync of the projector when moving from watching 4ksdr back to the menus which I don’t recall having before. Almost like I have match frame rate enabled on the atv4k which I don’t.

I recall each of these behaviors happening years ago. I may have had a different setting somewhere so I will hunt for that.

Edit: the shimmering was because I hot swapped the hdmi cables. Once I cycled through different sources via the AV receiver it cleared up.

But the core functionality of getting the best signal out of the atv4k and displayed on the rs500 without manual steps is functioning nicely and looks great.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
1. Will do. I assume the ones on the product page are the most recent.

2. But I am sure I didn't cilck on this button. So maybe this button or the outdated firmware are my problem.

3. Guess I should screen shot everything since HDR10 is still working fine, and updating the firmware may wipe all my settings....

4. And I will say that the fact that was on such an old firmware is a testament to how stable and reliable the device has been. I use it all the time and haven’t needed to update in a couple of years!
1. Yes highest firmware number is latest one and latest is listed first by date, so should be easy ;)
2. yes one or the other, or both.
3. You don't need, you can export config prior to update and import it back after update (usermanual p43)
4. ;)

That seems to have solved it. Thanks!

Switching is back to automatic and Dolby vision content is now passing through.

1. And I get a pause or reset rrsync of the projector when moving from watching 4ksdr back to the menus which I don’t recall having before. Almost like I have match frame rate enabled on the atv4k which I don’t.

But the core functionality of getting the best signal out of the atv4k and displayed on the rs500 without manual steps is functioning nicely and looks great.
1. Check your PM

·
Registered
13,778 Posts
Just wanted to update and say thanks to everyone that advised me, in particular HDFury, Dominic, and Claw.

I was very reluctant to open this can of worms since I have a first gen Vertex, and a jvcRS500, and it sounded like it would be a hassle and perhaps not pleasing in the end.

But after watching a few DV titles from the ATV4K, and seeing that my automation that switches between two different profiles/gammas on the JVC still works, and that the custom 2020 Edid triggers the right color space, and that the DV Version improves upon the signal from the ATV for DV titles, it feels even more like I’ll get another couple years out of this projector.

Great stuff!

---

Summary of what worked for me, for others who run across this. (I may have this slightly wrong so I will update and edit as necessary.)

Note that I have an RS500, and have a custom HDR curve set up by Chad that is optimized for HDR10 content with peaks of 1000 nits (or slightly more, maybe up to 1500). With HDR10 content I found that this is most pleasing. I'm using high lamp mode and getting a bit more than 100 nits on a large screen with full coverage of P3 within a REC2020 container. Since the RS500 has a broken HDR gamma, I'm using the Vertex to also remove HDR metadata.

First, this assumes you already have macros working AND that you know what user mode to invoke on the JVC for HDR content. In my case that is Mode 2.

Second, although it seems counter intuitive, the REC2020 SDR detection can ALSO be used to detect LLDV HDR. So I told the Vertex to trigger my HDR gamma the JVC when a REC2020 SDR signal is detected. (I don't recall why this works.)

There is no LLDV macro in the original Vertex. If you use the JVC macros, I found that until the LLDV macro was added to my Diva, the SDR BT2020 macro was triggered when LLDV is input. It probably will do the same in the Vertex.

If you have no SDR BT2020 output from any player, you could re-purpose that macro to trigger the JVC user mode you want for LLDV.

Third, I'm using an ATV4K but suspect other LLDV capable devices also respond to seeing an EDID that asks for LLDV in a REC2020 container.

It goes into slot #10 on this screen.

You need to use a custom EDID if you want to use BT.2020 for LLDV (Mark Swift's BT.2020 LLDV EDID) -- which is what worked well for me. This tells the source device to send the color in a 2020 format, which is perfect for most sources and (most important) perfect for most displays, since that is usually how they handle HDR color.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2685572&d=1581851932

Here is a good step by step about what to do with that file:

In the EDID Manager:

1. Select "CUSTOM Select" radio button

2. Select the Custom EDID bank you want to upload to in Port 0 (Banks 1-10 only, and I suggest bank 8)

3. Load .bin file

4. Upload

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Auto switch on Configuration page : Is it for auto switching among all input sources if I select ON ?

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Auto switch on Configuration page : Is it for auto switching among all input sources if I select ON ?
iF your question is not related to the thread topic but to a particular product, please use that device thread in video processor section on avsforum (we cannot guess which device you are referring to here)

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Sorry, forgot to mention it is for Vertex2.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Sorry, forgot to mention it is for Vertex2.
Yes so please use Vertex2 thread for general Vertex2 questions cause it is clearly off topic here and Vertex2 have 2 options for autoswitch: One based on +5v (which won't autoswitch if source keep sending +5v in standby) and one other based on TMDS (bandwidth) which will always autoswitch any sources but need to be tested overnight as some sources won't wake up until reconnected or HPD event been performed in the setup with this method.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Noted with thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Will the Sony UBP-X800 work

Yes not so easy when you have to support any possible cases like we are trying to do with our devices, also sometimes, a solution that help "most" will still send a rush of questions from people where that solution does not work.
But anyway, i'll wait devs feedback on it.
Will the Sony UBP-X800 player work also for the DV conversion with Vertex 2 or is it just the UBP-X800/M2

1841 - 1860 of 3354 Posts