AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
RX-681 > Wharf Evo "5" MShort "1"
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen any posts yet and perhaps this isn't quite the right subforum but... have you guys heard about the new Dolby Volume?

It basically levels volumes across the board allowing you to set the volume once and leave it there. This would be so nice I'm sick of turning the volume way up to hear dialogue and then turning it way down so the soundtrack or commercials don't blast my eardrums. The blurb I saw claims it will have no impact on SQ as well.

For some reason they want to integrate it into TVs first but hopefully you will be able to get a standalone processor cheaply and/or see it new AVRs.

Here is the blurb from CES:

"The new volume control technology offered in Dolby Volume works regardless of the audio format (such as analog, digital, or low-bit-rate coded). While Dolby Volume's volume leveling function resolves loudness differences in a single-ended way (that is, without preprocessing or metadata), it can also take advantage of and benefit from Dolby's powerful audio metadata when available.

"Dolby Volume's uniqueness lies in the fact that for the first time the measurement, analysis, and control of the volume level of audio is performed in the perceptual volume domain (the psychoacoustic domain)the same domain in which humans hear. Additionally, Dolby Volume processes the audio utilizing a complex model of how humans perceive and organize sound. This provides a powerful and highly optimized approximation of human hearing and understanding."

Discuss!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I have considered adding a compressor/limitor to my audio setup many times to try to solve this issue.

I have been hoping for a receiver with it built in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.