AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm old (54) and new at this stuff so please be patient I am trying to learn.

I,ve got 5 speakers connected to my receiver(no subwoofer) from the DVD player via toslink and the recv and dvd player are set for digital.

Heres the confusion. On some DVDs all 5 speakers wont produce. Some times only the 2 front speakers come on. Some times the receiver indicates a digital signal and some times a prologic signal. On one occassion i couln't get all 5 speakers to come on unless i selected 5.1 on the DVDs setup. If I selected surround only 3 speakers produced sound.

Help, I am totally confused, I thought the "ultimate" goal was a digital signal.

·
Registered
28,392 Posts
Having a 5.1 soundtrack does not mean that you will get sound from all 5 speakers all of the time. Movie soundtracks are crafted to direct sounds to different areas of the soundstage at different times. Most often dialogue comes from the front center channel, music and the majority of sound effects from the two front side channels. The rears channels may be silent much of the time, with only ambient noises, some music or the occasional sound effect. Some movies have more surround activity than others (usually big action movies will have lots of whizzing sound effects zipping through the rear speakers). Other movies intentionally have only mono or stereo soundtracks with no surround activity at all.

Additionally, not all DVDs have 5.1 sound. Some (many) are encoded with Dolby Digital 2.0, in which case your receiver will default to activating its ProLogic decoding. ProLogic creates a surround experience out of only two channels of sound.

There are lots of different types of movies with lots of different types of soundtracks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Josh, that helps.

But what about "Private Ryan". It's coming out prologic and I know it should be digital. The box says Digital surround requires DTS decoder. My DVD player speaks of DTS but not my receiver.

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
What receiver make and model do you have?

It must have a DTS logo on the front panel of the receiver and on the player. If they both do you must go into your player's setup menu (with no disc in the player) and go to the digital audio output section. Make sure DTS and Dolby Digital output are set to either BITSTREAM or ON.

I usually always first start a DVD disc by going into the language or audio setup menu and making sure I manually select the DTS track (if it has one) or Dolby Digital 5.1 if there is a choice between 5.1 and 2.0 stereo tracks. Some discs default to the wrong (IMHO) choice.

Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.