AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't see a thread in this particular forum. I like to know what you think of the quality of the BDs and also overall on the story content.

Knowing she was in it and seeing the title, I thought it was about something completely different!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I wonder how many people are even going to pick this one up with the ridiculous pricing for 13 episodes? It's around the price I'd pay for a full 22 episode season. It was especially galling to see Amazon.ca selling it for around half the US price (though nasty shipping charges bring it up to three quarters of the price if you order it in the US that way).

Even though it's on back order, I ended up ordering it from Deep Discount because of the 25% off sale. Without that sale, I likely would have avoided it altogether.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation /forum/post/16917201

I wonder how many people are even going to pick this one up with the ridiculous pricing for 13 episodes? It's around the price I'd pay for a full 22 episode season. It was especially galling to see Amazon.ca selling it for around half the US price (though nasty shipping charges bring it up to three quarters of the price if you order it in the US that way).

Even though it's on back order, I ended up ordering it from Deep Discount because of the 25% off sale. Without that sale, I likely would have avoided it altogether.

Same here - the price with the Amazon.ca mistake + shipping was like $2-3 less than DD's price (with discount) on the day it came out. I ended up ordering from DD when it was in stock, and then pricematched which ended up coming out the same as the canadian price. Even at $33 and change it's still a bit high, but I enjoyed the first sesaon and wanted to do a recap before season 2 began.

I'll try to get some screenshots when mine arrives which will probably be early to mid next week. DD usually takes a week to get to me.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation /forum/post/16917201

I agree $30 should be average price for a 13 episode season. Mad Men does it. 24 came out for a reasonable price for a 7 disc set. I guess Fox really needs to make more out of Dollhouse or something.

I'll get season 1 of DH when it's $20 or less. I wasn't sold on the show until the final few episodes.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I ordered this from Amazon.ca, since I'm in Canada the $23 price was worth it to me (and although you need $39 for free shipping up here, I live in the middle of nowhere, so I can find other things at Amazon.ca to make up for the difference!). Of course it's backordered because of the insane price, but so far mine is showing it should ship on August 10.

I've never seen the show before, but I'm a Joss Whedon fan so for the price, hopefully it'll be good!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage /forum/post/16918048

I agree $30 should be average price for a 13 episode season. Mad Men does it. 24 came out for a reasonable price for a 7 disc set. I guess Fox really needs to make more out of Dollhouse or something.

Remember Firefly and its 89.99 MSRP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 /forum/post/0

I've never seen the show before, but I'm a Joss Whedon fan so for the price, hopefully it'll be good!

It is but you'll have to give it a few eps. They progressively get better (and more Whedon-like) after the first 3 or 4.

·
Registered
28,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad /forum/post/16918354

It is but you'll have to give it a few eps. They progressively get better (and more Whedon-like) after the first 3 or 4.

Most Whedon shows start off dicey and then improve as they go. This is no exception. The problem is that Dollhouse faced much higher expectations to be good out of the gate, and it stumbled. I'm frankly amazed that it got renewed.

One of the early episodes (the one where everybody acts drunk) is truly a terrible hour of television. But, as mentioned, the show does get better. I liked the finale a lot.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dumped it low in my queue but I'm in no real hurry to see this to tell the truth from what I've read surfing around. Maybe if there isn't anything else, I'll prioritize it.

Thanks for the replies but I suppose a bit too early to get a real feel for PQ and AQ since lots of folks haven't viewed it yet.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad /forum/post/16918354

Remember Firefly and its 89.99 MSRP?

OMG on the Firefly. So glad I picked it up for $29.95 back at Amazon.ca's sale after christmas last year!

I'm a TV junkie so I'll hopefully be able to slog through the first few if they are bad. I'm sure it can't be worse than the first season of Buffy, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 /forum/post/16920368

I dumped it low in my queue but I'm in no real hurry to see this to tell the truth from what I've read surfing around. Maybe if there isn't anything else, I'll prioritize it.

Thanks for the replies but I suppose a bit too early to get a real feel for PQ and AQ since lots of folks haven't viewed it yet.

I know I'll marathon through this as soon as I get my copy, and I'll definitely write a review of it for the PQ thread -- stumlad will probably do the same (right?
). I'm not an audiophile so I won't be of help there, but I do love me some pretty Blu Ray's! If there's anything ugly about the PQ, chances are high I'll wrinkle my nose at it. Granted, our equipment is likely different so everyone's mileage may vary, my TV is a Panny TH-58PZ800U plasma & I use the ps3 for my blu ray player. I have a delivery estimate of August 14-26, so hopefully I'll get it at the earlier part of that guesstimate (though the whole living in the middle of nowhere thing leans towards the latter side...).

·
Registered
2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyglassesgirl /forum/post/16920407

OMG on the Firefly. So glad I picked it up for $29.95 back at Amazon.ca's sale after christmas last year!

I'm a TV junkie so I'll hopefully be able to slog through the first few if they are bad. I'm sure it can't be worse than the first season of Buffy, right?

My wife and I are actually going through the entire DVD collection right now...slowly. We'll play an ep or two when we're done watching a movie and have extra time. We're on the beginning of season 4 (they started college). We decided to watch it because we liked Firefly a lot. It's not nearly as good as Firefly, but it's very witty and it's one of those shows you have to take it for what it is, sit back and enjoy. I think they made Willow's character change too much from season 3 to 4, and without the library hang-out, it seems a bit off. I kinda miss Faith! Too bad this isn't on blu-ray, the first 2 seasons look awful... though I probably woudlnt have blind bought the complete series on blu-ray (got DVD set real cheap) so I'd have to rent.

Quote:
I know I'll marathon through this as soon as I get my copy, and I'll definitely write a review of it for the PQ thread -- stumlad will probably do the same (right?
).

Most likely we'll watch them all, but may skim through one or two of the first 4. But definitely have it watched in time for Season 2. I think we decided to wait for The Plan before watching BSG.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Since the holy name of Buffy has been involked, I will interject that I too watched the series slowly, as I like to do with television shows. Lots of people think Buffy is a highwater mark in Western culture. I just think it's a fairly good television show, which means that the monsters can be only so threatening, as the cast needs to return. But as a coming-of-age story that has the sufficient length denied wonderful shows like My So-Called Life, Freaks and Geeks, Undeclared and Joan of Arcadia, it's frequently pretty impressive, particularly season 5.

Dollhouse has what probably seemed like a great concept at conception, but turned out rather difficult to realize. One can regard the early shows almost as satire, showing the conventional television way of dealing with the whole Dollhouse idea until the darker side emerges around episode #6, but in reality it seemed just to be the network meddling with the concept. Plus, Eliza Dushku's performance is not all it could and should be. You may well find that only half of the shows have any sort of rewatch potential.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I'm really a fan of the show. The only thing I think the Blu-Ray is missing is an episode guide. There is the original pilot on there. Don't watch it until you watch the season first since they chop it up and use parts in the first 6-7 episodes. Joss even admits in the commentary that it took 5 episodes for Dollhouse to find it's rhythm and balance between what Fox wanted and what Joss wanted. It also has an un-aired episode that takes place 10 years in the future. The video looks good to me. The audio is DTS HD MA. The pilot that aired has commentary by Joss and Eliza. I think it's episode 6 (the first one on the second disk) that has commentary by Joss. The un-aired episode has commentary by Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen. It also has quite a few behind the scenes type stuff and some deleted scenes. Overall I like the BD a lot.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocatedday /forum/post/16936167

I could not get disc one of the set to play on my Oppo BD-83. However, it plays on my PS3 just fine.

New OPPO firmware coming soon for this disc.

-Bill

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvthunder /forum/post/16936276

I'm really a fan of the show. The only thing I think the Blu-Ray is missing is an episode guide. There is the original pilot on there. Don't watch it until you watch the season first since they chop it up and use parts in the first 6-7 episodes. Joss even admits in the commentary that it took 5 episodes for Dollhouse to find it's rhythm and balance between what Fox wanted and what Joss wanted. It also has an un-aired episode that takes place 10 years in the future. The video looks good to me. The audio is DTS HD MA. The pilot that aired has commentary by Joss and Eliza. I think it's episode 6 (the first one on the second disk) that has commentary by Joss. The un-aired episode has commentary by Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen. It also has quite a few behind the scenes type stuff and some deleted scenes. Overall I like the BD a lot.

Thank you for the review! I'm still waiting on mine to be shipped.

Stumlad -- I was just meaning that I think you'll review it for the PQ thread as well when you get through it, not necessarily that you'll marathon it as quickly as I intend on doing once I get my paws on this!

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:

Joss even admits in the commentary that it took 5 episodes for Dollhouse to find it's rhythm and balance between what Fox wanted and what Joss wanted.

I would say it took more than that. Epitaph One, the unaired thirteenth episode, is the only one of the bunch that I feel is up to the normal Joss Whedon standard. I was so disappointed watching this series, every time I thought it was getting better they'd air another stinker, or pull the punch right at the end of the episode. It definitely got better as it went along, but to me it never really got good.

I'll be holding off on this one until the next sale. As much as I disliked parts of it, I'm still a rabid Whedon fanboy who could never resist the temptation for long

·
Registered
276 Posts

Quote:

I'm really a fan of the show. The only thing I think the Blu-Ray is missing is an episode guide. There is the original pilot on there. Don't watch it until you watch the season first since they chop it up and use parts in the first 6-7 episodes. Joss even admits in the commentary that it took 5 episodes for Dollhouse to find it's rhythm and balance between what Fox wanted and what Joss wanted.

So what one should do is to start with the unaired original pilot, then skip part 1-5 and continue at episode #6. That way it will be like it was originally conceived?!? You get to skip the bad episodes, which are basicly five different pilots. Will this work, or will some stuff be missed?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.