Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kcmchugh
The wide-shot before each play looks more Fox-Widescreen than HiDef. The zoomed shots look pretty good, so they much have taken an HD camera to the game.
Wide shots look much better in 1080i than they do in 720p. Since ESPN broadcasts in 720p, you will lose that wow factor.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wide shots don't look as good as ESPN has in the past. It seems to be missing some detail in the image. Granted, I did watch the Browns game earlier, but still the image quality is dramatically different from close up shots to wide shots.

Watch as they zoom that camera in a bit--ESPN is pulling one over on us!

·
Registered
787 Posts
i think the quality is stunning

beats the crap out of mnf and looks close to cbs

nice job espn

now add 5.1!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's 480p. I am thinking ESPN is working with Starz! and Fox to show us all that we can't tell the difference. Unfortunately, I cannot snap a picture of it, since it is satellite.

That wide shot is NOT HD. It is not 720p. And it sure ain't no 1080i.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am projecting the game on 10ft screen. There is a big difference in quality between the wide shot and when the switch to the on-field camera after the play.

I'll admit that I watched the GA v LSU game on Saturday and the Browns game this afternoon, so I might be (maybe) a bit spoiled, but I can't be the only one noticing the loss of detail in that wide shot... can I?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RelDudeGOP
beats the crap out of mnf and looks close to cbs
Let me make an educated guess here -- your local ABC affiliate is multicasting? That would seem to be the only reasonable explanation for why you notice such a significant difference between ABC and ESPN. My local affiliate multicasts, causing MNF to look inferior to ESPN-HD.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also notice a big difference between ESPN and the CBS broadcast of the Browns. The CBS broadcast looked so much better. In fact, I think previous ESPN games have looked a lot better than tonight's gave. Are they doing some major compression or what?

I'm watching via DirecTv on 65" Sony projection

·
Registered
655 Posts
I know there was a huge debate before with ESPN and SRS Circle Surround... But I'm using an old DD 5.1/Dolby Pro Logic decoder and the Dolby Pro Logic on this game sounds better than some of the DD 5.1 games I've heard in the past.

To me, they're using a perfect amount of surround, even if I'm only getting Dolby Pro Logic surrounds.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
DirecTV adds additional compression to ESPN-HD, so the picture quality you will see will always vary somewhat depending on the content that is also showing on the other HD channel on the same satellite transponder (is it Hdnet Movies?). It's also possible that the stadium (location of cameras, lightning) and HD broadcast truck configuration play a role in the differences you are seeing.

IIRC, ABC Sports is responsible for both MNF and SNF. I don't recall if they have different trucks dedicated to each event, or whether they use the truck geographically closest to the next event. But two different trucks are used every week, and that (along with how much compression your local ABC broadcaster applies) might explain some differences.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drhill
I thought tonight was the worst SNF I've seen this year. Very grainy and soft. Last two weeks looked night and day better.
I agree 100% ESPN is the worst example of HD football. Both CBS games looked better than this, and in the past the monday night games have looked better. I don't think it is D* fault either, because the other HD channels don't look soft, or grainy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not sure if DirecTv is compressing or not but my brother gets ESPN through Comcast and experiences the same thing.

Also, through DirecTv I only get DD 2.1. Why? The CBS game was in DD 5.1 and it sounded great. Is this a DirecTv thing or a ESPN thing?

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Luke,

ESPN-HD uses "circle surround" for their SNF. They don't do DD5.1 for this event.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.